Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2009, 09:38 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Omaha , Nebraska
Ceiling heights

RVing again is on my bucket list. They were great times growing up in the late 60s-70s. As a recent viewer and browser of the vintage AS forums, I have been thinking about what AS I would like to own. I have noticed, being 6' 4", the AS are pretty low compared to other WBoxes. As you know, they're not the same. However, I have heard some vintage AS had more ceiling room.

Is there an informal list of new or vintage AS models that have 76"+ ceiling heights?

I'm looking at the 20-24' AS. I like Safaris.

Any thoughts or experiences besides ducking?
beetle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:53 AM   #2
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Hello and welcome. I am 6'4" and am able to stand up straight in my '59 TradeWind without any trouble except, of course, ducking under the AC and into the bathroom. I've also clobbered my noggin a few times on the entry door opening but who hasn't? Best of luck in your search.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:18 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello Beetle5 - welcome to Air Forums! The air conditioner hanging down is too close for comfort at my 6'0". Ducking has become 2nd nature.

A good forum friend sold for something other than an Airstream but we still see him online here. He is 6'5" and has discussed this any number of times. Here's just a couple:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...tml#post202335
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...tml#post288177

We either get electric plug-in only at state parks or dry camp (common in state or nat'l forest campgrounds). Either way gray tank capacity doesn't allow a lot of showering. In state parks I'll put on the ol' flip-flops and use their shower. In quieter campgrounds I'll use the outside shower to freshen up; that's not Susie's favorite way of doing it however...

In shorter Airstreams bed space is pretty much limited to the corner arrangement or a sideways bed at trailer front or rear. The sideways bed is longer but only 48" wide. I don't think you'd do well using just half a corner bed. Good friends just purchased a 23' International. She (5'7") is going to use the corner bed. He (5'11") is going to use the couch pullout -- that's about the same as the couch on my 25' FB Safari and it works fine for tall.

Twin beds in almost all Airstreams I've seen are equivalent to dormitory tall single beds. We have that in our Safari and there is very good length. We use dorm tall single sheets from JC Penneys, etc.

Good luck in your quest.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:47 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Omaha , Nebraska
Thanks for the comments. I see a 60's Tradewind has 78.5" ceiling height. How does that compare to other models?
beetle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:45 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
1953 17' Clipper
Mendon , Vermont
My husband is 6'8", and my son, 6'5". We bought a '67 overlander about six years ago, because it had the height we needed. Except for the door, of course, they are fine in the '67, as long as no one forgets to shut the overhead compartments. We do not have an air conditioner, which would be an issue.
pinktrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:06 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
Giants among us

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle5 View Post
Thanks for the comments. I see a 60's Tradewind has 78.5" ceiling height. How does that compare to other models?
Beetle,
Ours is a 1988 and I just measured the height--it is 78.5 inches. I am 6'4" as well, and I have just become accustomed to navigating around the AC panel and door openings. Mind the noggin or you will pay--the exit door is especially unforgiving.
I have always said it is a 5'10" world. Everything is made for average sized people and I suppose Airstreams are no diffferent.
Good luck in your search.
Bill
Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 12:11 PM   #7
F/t Airstream Newby

2008 23' Safari SE
Campo , California
"It's a 5'10" world".. �� it!
NTENDED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 02:50 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Vienna , VIRGINIA
There’s one out there somewhere but I don’t know if it was ever completed...

Shell off headroom epiphany
http://www.airforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79254
Old 05-15-2018, 07:44 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
If your doing a shell off renovation you can raise the height of an airstream. That is what darkspeed (headroom epiphany) did. I raised mine about 2 to 3 inches. The door is the only major consideration. He raised his a foot if I remember correctly. I used his method for my renovation. His is a great read.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:53 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Hope Ian Poulin chimes in here. He is 7 feet tall. When he was looking for a gently used one, he pointed out that getting an International was key, because the overhead cabinets have sliding doors rather than the "boink head here" sharp pointed lift style. Showering is a sit down proposition if there aren't campground facilities available.

As for the door, a piece of foam cut in the shape of a DUCK might be a good reminder.

Go to the nearest dealer with a decent incentory... just for the eue candy, of course. Leave your plastic and checkbook home, and duct tape your hands together so you can't sign anything.

Paula