Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2004, 05:10 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Fansler.

We do not sell used parts.

We also do not have any drawings for that bed/lounge.

Perhaps you can find a neighbor that has a similiar coach, and copy them.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 05:17 PM   #22

on the hunt for bunk beds

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver 67
To Outerbanksdeb - Yes the mattress is still in good shape and can be recovered. I have PM'd you with additional info.

I didn't know bunks were so popular.... both of us are a little to old to be crawling up into them. Seems to me as I saw a picture of a Sovereign somewhere that had "homemade" added bunks above the center twin beds, and there were a total of six kids sleeping in them. Was that one of you out there?

We are developing our A/S into more of a retirement home built for two.
We are thoroughly enjoying all the info that we have gotten from you "professionals" (That includes you, Andy)

Anybody else want to get on the "bunk list"????

Beth Ann
67 Sovereign, Double Bed (as soon as I find a mattress), and rear bath
put me on the bunk list also please
fansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 06:40 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
So few bunks - so little time!!!

Wow, Debbie Noon, is that what those funky little cables are for? We found a couple of them mixed in with the jacks and couldn't figure out what they were. I can't wait to get off here and run to the trailer and show hubby. Now, here's what I have..... a wooden bunk frame, a mattress (in good shape), two aluminum brackets that attach to the wall with rivets, one ceiling bracket and two cables. If I can get hubby to lay all parts on a tarp, I'll take a picture. However, we have to get them out of the barn and I don't think that will happen until late next week. We will heading to Minnesota for granddaughter's birthday and stopping by Scrapbooker65's place in Des Moines to pick up parts.

Minneapolis area folk.... we are looking for someone that owns a late 60's Sovereign. Need to pick your brain and talk shop. Would like hands on "training".

Back to bunk..... I guess am at the point where it's first come, first served. Please PM me if interested.

Beth Ann
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 10:25 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Attached Thumbnails, there are no visible thumbnails, no pictures either. I can only conger up images in my mind of what this assembly looks like. No, my brain is blank..... I really need pictures.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 08:42 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Sorry, I've been away

To all those who are interested in bunk beds, I haven't forgotten you. We got a little sidetracked with a trip to Minnesota for granddaughter's birthday and upon our return, I got bad news from cardiologist. It's fixable, but it sort of threw me. H Hessig, will you please email me again, I deleted you in my confused state. Thanks. I do have pictures of bed parts to send, just need to locate all to load. I finally found a picture of the interior before we took out the bunk hardware.

Stopped by Scrapbooker65's place on the way home and bought lots of parts. I'm assuming she will list the rest of the stuff on the forum. The stove is really nice. Also many bathroom parts. It was sort of sad though seeing the inside of that little baby gutted.
Hope to talk to some of you on Tuesday.

Beth Ann
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 08:32 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

I'm looking for a stove or stove parts. Please pass this along to her. Good luck to you with your health trauma. I will also try to get pictures of the bunk bed parts we have installed as well as those funky little cables!! Take care and keep smiling!
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver 67
To all those who are interested in bunk beds, I haven't forgotten you. We got a little sidetracked with a trip to Minnesota for granddaughter's birthday and upon our return, I got bad news from cardiologist. It's fixable, but it sort of threw me. H Hessig, will you please email me again, I deleted you in my confused state. Thanks. I do have pictures of bed parts to send, just need to locate all to load. I finally found a picture of the interior before we took out the bunk hardware.

Stopped by Scrapbooker65's place on the way home and bought lots of parts. I'm assuming she will list the rest of the stuff on the forum. The stove is really nice. Also many bathroom parts. It was sort of sad though seeing the inside of that little baby gutted.
Hope to talk to some of you on Tuesday.

Beth Ann
tinsltootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 07:10 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Smile re: "chains"

our 1968 soverign had the metal frame folding bunks. Ceiling bracket was slotted, no reinforcement just rivited to ceiling. The "chain" was a vinyl clad cable with a knob on each end which slid into keyhole style openings on the celining brackets and the aluminum frame. There were metal brackets mounted to the underside of the overhead storage which held the folded bunks when not in use.

Hope this is helpful.....
baldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 10:06 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Tradewind Bunk Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettepdx
Okie dokie, Chuck, I'll give it a try. (Uh, it's not showing up in "preview post" so let's see if it's here when I actually post.)
Annette, I am glad you resoponed to this thread. I recently purchased a 75' Tradewind and thought it would be roomy enough but with three boys I sure could use a bunk. From what I can tell we have the exact same floor plan. Please attach the some other photos when you have the time. If you think you might be able to part with your BUNK it would be very much appreciated. I live down in San Diego. Thanks in advance. Bob
Crazyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 05:15 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry71
We have recently purchased a 71 Safari that has an aluminum bunk with a canvas sling. We also have round ceiling brackets but without the additional rectangular metal bracket surrounding it, we think this might be the original installation. We cannot find any chains that would be used to hang the bunk from the ceiling. There is nothing in the 71 manual covering the use of bunks. We could send a picture of the bracket and bunk if that would be helpful. Would also like to see a picture from anyone who actually uses the bunk, so we have an idea of what type of chain we need to hang our bunk.
Larry I have a friend in Omaha nebraska that has the same set up, it takes cable for his and his trailer is in Mint Condition, I have never seen a chain used when the set up was factory installed. I would reccomend a high tensile strength, plastic coated cable.
hhessig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 01:14 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Larry & Marge.

The bunk beds were suspended with steel cables that had a ball on one end, not chains.

Then Airstream change the brackets to a seat belt or strap type.

Photo attached.

We have a few of the cable type and quite a few of the strap type.

Andy
Andy,

I saw this post and picture and was wondering;

First, how does the seatbelt style ceiling hooks attach and do you still have some?

Second, I have 75' tradewind and would like to add a bunk bed above the couch for one of my boys who weighs less than 50lbs at best. I do not want to have to cut and destroy the original shape of the trailer. Please send me any suggestions or remedies you have seen work. I am having a hard time finding the solution. Is there a kit?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Bob
Old 11-07-2005, 03:56 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

I have a '75 Sovereign with the rear twin set-up, and have the canvas/aluminum bunk set-up. I do not need it. If removing the mounts doesn't leave unsightly holes, etc, I would be willing to give it up. I threw the little mattress pad away (horrible looking) but have everything else. Located in South Central PA.

Robert Louis Stevenson
LowellN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 05:34 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

Talking Thanks for the reply.

Wow! That would be great! Do you have the capability to send me a photo? I am VERY interested. I am afraid that if left to create something from scratch, it will be a disaster. Let me know how I can help expedite. Send me an email with you phn # or I will respond with mine. Thanks again.

Bob
Old 11-08-2005, 09:28 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Kill Devil Hills , North Carolina
Wow Bunk Beds! Cooooool!

We have halted on the bunk beds as the new showerbath retro fit is causing us "issues". BUT I"M STILL LOOKING! for the cable cieling mounts and the wall brackets and the canvas covered frame. I can recover the frame easily so the condition isn't an issue. We probably won't get to it until the spring but if anyone has an extra please PM me. THANKS Deb
Old 11-11-2005, 05:10 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

Oh boy, now I don't know what to do..... Chuck sent me a PM within minutes of my post showing intrest in the BB, and you posted here Bob. I don't need it so I'll definately give it up. The bed is burried in my outbuilding so it may take me a few days to dig it out. And the cables are in my spare bedroom somewhere (I think), or in the AS. I was planning on winterizing this week-end so I should be able to take a pic of the brackets and such at that time. First reasonable offer takes it. I'll gladly box it up and ship it if you would like, just pay ship cost. I have an unlimited supply of cardboard to box it in.
Thanks,
Lowell

Robert Louis Stevenson
LowellN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:53 PM   #35
Katrina Survivor

1969 23' Safari
1984 31' Sovereign
1982 28' Airstream 280
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Need cables & wall mounts for bunks

Had the bunks in the first 2 A/S my parents had-the canvas/aluminum type. They were hung by cables w/balls on either end, one slid into roof bracket and the other slipped into frame of bunk. there were 2 brackets on the wall that supported the other side.

I found both of the bunks w/mattress pads in my parents attic and would like to find the hardware to install them (ceiling brackets, wall brackets, cables).
Are they still available somewhere? Or could someone send pictures so I can have them fabricated? Would appreciate any suggestions.

thanks,

Molly
LA ByU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:10 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA ByU
Had the bunks in the first 2 A/S my parents had-the canvas/aluminum type. They were hung by cables w/balls on either end, one slid into roof bracket and the other slipped into frame of bunk. there were 2 brackets on the wall that supported the other side.

I found both of the bunks w/mattress pads in my parents attic and would like to find the hardware to install them (ceiling brackets, wall brackets, cables).
Are they still available somewhere? Or could someone send pictures so I can have them fabricated? Would appreciate any suggestions.

thanks,

Molly
Some good shots of what you're looking for here:

http://vintageairstream.com/rr_topics_bunkbeds.html

(Those bunks were only good for about 150 lbs - if you want to get rid of them, I'd love to be first in line )
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:21 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Anybody else want to get on the "bunk list"???? Yeah, If you are making a list put me on it. We have a '66 TW with the ceiling hooks and a grandson that would like someplace to bunk other than squeezed in with his mom and dad when they all occassionally join us.
Thanks, Neil.

Beth Ann
67 Sovereign, Double Bed (as soon as I find a mattress), and rear bath[/quote]
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 11:14 PM   #38
Katrina Survivor

1969 23' Safari
1984 31' Sovereign
1982 28' Airstream 280
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
That's them!!

Thanks for the link GreatPumpkin. I just checked it out. Those are the beds that I found and remember using in my youth. Now to just find the hardware somewhere. Sorry I can't help ya'll, but need the beds for kids (5,6, & 8) zone - like out of my bed!

Molly
LA ByU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:10 AM   #39
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA ByU

thanks,

Molly
The cable type brackets were replace with a strap type bracket. We have all that Airstream had left.

Part # 91639. They are not listed in our web site.

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-006S.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	24063  
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 01:16 PM   #40
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Molly,

If you call Ron, at South Jersey RV, he'll be able to lead you in the right direction on getting the parts you need. If he can't get you those parts (We have them in our 71 Sovereign), he can give you the specs for the brackets. A machinist will be able to reproduce them for you. Call him at 856-697-9600.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote