Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-22-2004, 09:27 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
On insectisides, it just seems odd to me that when something works really well and the government doesn't get a kickback from the sales, that it becomes very dangerous--maybe they should quit putting all of those additives and preservatives in our foods that contain carcinogenics and get rid of alot of pollutants instead of worrying so much about all of the pests that are getting into everything and destroying so much!! If they keep cheaper and more non-effective materials on the market, we have to buy more-the bugs build up a tolerance to the stuff and it becomes a cycle. By the way, luckily my kids are 18 and 20, so hopefully they wouldn't eat the chalk--but--huhhhhh teenagers and younger kids--who knows what they will try next!!! I can just see them saying--hey man--let's have a chalk eating party!! EEEKKKK!!! Maybe it is not such a great idea??????????????????
Old 04-22-2004, 09:28 AM   #22
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
well, "pyrethrins" is kind of like saying "chemicals". its a pretty broad category. but as with most things, its all about the dose.

the LD-50 (lethal dose) of pyrethrins to mamals is extremely high, (meaning, you have to ingest a higher amount of the chemical...meaning, its not as poisonous) as compared with other categories of insecticides. there are some types that can be used to treat bee hives for mites, without harming the bees.

the various concoctions consiting of pyrethrins do have many target species. but an interesting tid-bit: I was reading some labels on some cans of "bug spray" while standing in line at the grocery store...(you know how they have seasonal "impulse purchases" near the registers?), and the bug KILLER stuff is less toxic than the insect REPELLANT (deet) that was right next to it on the shelf. Repellant only irritates the bugs...doesn't harm them. but it'll harm you, in a much lower dose than the stuff that actually KILLS bugs.

point is, things are not always as they seem. "organic" publications have an agenda...a target audience, and will spin things toward that group.

here's a web site that you should check out, if you're concerned about chemicals. http://www.dhmo.org

nasty stuff....scares me to death!
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 09:42 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
I do still buy it and use it. I wear gloves and a mask, wash vigorously after, and keep my daughter away from it. The cats don't go around licking chalk, they don't even bother to go after any mice we have. I figure it's better than bombing because bombing gets all over everything in a sticky layer, that can't be good. I just don't want to recommend this stuff to someone else without all the info.

It sure does work! They all just disappear!
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 09:51 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
thanks, chuck ...

... i agree about the inconsistency & ignorance of various concoctions that we spray on our crops, bodies & houses. my bugaboo is cleaning solutions. people think that any toxic substance is ok as long as it's in a bottle with a sparkly logo. and chemically treated lawns? toxic waste dumps for children, as far as i'm concerned.

for me, it's partly a "way of life" choice too ... i'd rather understand the rhythms of the earth and the cycles of life than buy a bunch of aerosol cans and expect them to do the dirty work for me.
summerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 09:54 AM   #25
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
Yikes!

Sounds like it works too well...

Shari
Yes, but does it kill ANTS?
Terry
Old 04-22-2004, 10:34 AM   #26
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerkid
... i agree about the inconsistency & ignorance of various concoctions that we spray on our crops, bodies & houses. my bugaboo is cleaning solutions. people think that any toxic substance is ok as long as it's in a bottle with a sparkly logo. and chemically treated lawns? toxic waste dumps for children, as far as i'm concerned.

for me, it's partly a "way of life" choice too ... i'd rather understand the rhythms of the earth and the cycles of life than buy a bunch of aerosol cans and expect them to do the dirty work for me.
well, you're not going to like this, but....

My commercial pesticide license was for "turf". I was a lawncare tech for many years. "chemically treated lawns" are not toxic waste dumps, by any stretch of the imagination. People who think they are only think they are out of the very same ignorance of which you speak. The biggest concern with the aforementioned pesticide is that it is NOT in a bottle with a sparkly, and government approved lable. so we have no idea WHAT it is.

People are afraid of the materials used in lawncare for similar reasons, though...they don't know what it is, and are easily influenced by the power of suggestion in alarmist media articles that it must be something "bad". well, it isn't a mystery. and it doesn't take much to make grass grow. They do, however, typically treat turfgrass with high amounts of DHMO, which kills way more people every year than all pesticides combined.

check out that site I mentioned. its an eye-opener.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:12 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California

Chuck, I thought maybe you had mis-typed DMHO, and I went to the web site to find out why people were using it on their lawns. Hah! You meant what you typed - as soon as I saw the words "Dihydrogen Monoxide", I was onto you, you devil you.
mtpalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 12:33 PM   #28
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Chuck,

Where do I apply for a Superfund Grant to clean up the DHMO reservoir I have in my back yard?

TIA,
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 12:50 PM   #29
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Hey, don't laugh. I read over the site pretty carefully, and I couldn't find an untrue statement in there.

DHMO scares are frequent occurances. I dare say DHMO exposure is the leading cause of the deterioration of vintage airstreams. just don't park your MH too close to the resevoir; the fumes could contribute to its demise. could also promote mold/mildew growth.

check out this link: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,114168,00.html

Old 04-22-2004, 01:05 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
that site went completely over my head until a couple of other people posted! i kept thinking, "there is NOTHING that is that ubiquitous except maybe air, i don't get it"...

chuck, there's NOTHING that goes on lawns to kill crabgrass or grubs or mushrooms or mosquito larva that isn't dangerous in cumulative quantities?
summerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 01:39 PM   #31
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerkid
chuck, there's NOTHING that goes on lawns to kill crabgrass or grubs or mushrooms or mosquito larva that isn't dangerous in cumulative quantities?
No, not at all. its almost all toxic. but only in huge amounts that you could never come in contact with. "quantities" is the key. in the right quantity, DHMO is toxic.

everything that is applied to turf is classified by the epa as "practically non-toxic", in the form and amount that is applied. Alot of the stuff I used to dilute 1 oz into 100 gallons of water...even the conentrated form was not labelled as "poison". whearas, much of what is under your sink, in reach of your children, is labeled with a skull and crossbones. and those are not just casual warnings. the epa strictly regulates what is labeled with these signal words: "caution", "warning", and "danger-poison". they are defining a certain level of toxicity. look at the label of any product that is pre-mixed and intended for lawn use the next time you're in the hardware store. almost all of it says 'caution, eye irritant" on it. but insect repellant, as I mentioned before, says "warning". and you're supposed to rub that all over your skin!!

as far as what you mean by the word "cumulative"....if you're talking about "bioaccumulation", the situation where pesticides never break down and just become more and more concentrated in soil and water tables, etc...no, they do NOT do that. if they did, they'd be illegal. (there used to be stuff that did that....banned in this country.).

crabgrass controls were probaby the least toxic material used (besides the dhmo itself). very mild. mushrooms...not a turf "pest"..doesn't harm the turf, so we didn't treat for that. nothing I'm familiar with on the market works for them, anyway. when the weather changes, they'll go away. Mosquitos: also not a turf pest. But the most common adultacide used to kill mosquitos by county pest control people is also very mild, and degrades in less than 24 hrs. that's whats so cool about it: it does its job, then its gone. also commonly used is what we already talked about: pyrethrins. Most places now are treating larva with something called BTI, which is a biological agent. it is a bacteria that kills only mosquito and certain fly larvae, and is harmless to fish and other wildlife (and people, too).
white grubs: well, that's some of the stronger stuff, but again, everything used today does not last in the soil for more than a few days...a few things (restricted use products, only available to licensed applicators) can last a couple of months, but thats it. mostly, they're using this new stuff that isn't in the organophospate (nerve agent ) family, that kills the grubs by making them stop eating. they even advertise it on tv.
But even so...that "nasty" stuff...its comparable to the stuff that Rover uses for a flea collar. in some cases, its the same stuff.
Old 04-22-2004, 02:55 PM   #32
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Draw em a map

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamhopeful
Have you ever tried "Miraculous Ant Chalk"? We get these big pieces of chalk from the 99c store down the street for $1 each.
Chalk? Like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ants here.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	6141  

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 03:16 PM   #33
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Contamination with DMHO!
I had some 12 yr old Scotch that got contaminated with DMHO. Had to give it to my brother-in-law.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 03:25 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
I've soaked the dog in DHMO, and it hasn't seemed to affect him adversely...,

You do not want to soak in, or ingest DMHO, though.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:36 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
This thread reminded me of something though.
Remember back in the '70s and '80s when Southern California was getting doused routinely with Malathion to prevent fruit fly infestations? And how we were told how safe it was?
Now the citrus groves (and the profit motive) are almost gone and suddenly
Malathion is banned.

Just to justify (or unhijack) this post: a few people have mentioned getting rid of the food source to keep the pests from returning. I suggest a very thorough cleaning of the vent hood over the stove, and the stove itself. The vent filter on our trailer is so clogged, it feels wielded in. Ugh. I shrink at the thought of the day (this weekend, probably) when I will have to attack that chore.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:07 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

There are 2 types of ants,those that like sweets (sugar) and those that like fat, (liverwurst). Ants are also formic acid generators. Here is a way to "overdose" and kill ants effectively.
(1) Mix 50/50 honey and boric acid, and spread it on a big wooden plank; place under your trailer.
(2) Do the same with boric acid and liverwurst.
It works for me.
Dick
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 04:15 PM   #37
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpalms
This thread reminded me of something though.
Remember back in the '70s and '80s when Southern California was getting doused routinely with Malathion to prevent fruit fly infestations? And how we were told how safe it was?
Now the citrus groves (and the profit motive) are almost gone and suddenly
Malathion is banned.
This is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about...almost fit for the dhmo website. the difference is, everything on the dhmo website is true; this statement is not.

malathion hasnt' been banned anywhere. there's nothing particularly hazzardous about it. but there's a certain group that simply wishes it was bad...they wish it was bad so much, they spread all sorts of misinformation about it. there has never been any evidence to support any of the allegations against it. but people keep repeating the bad stuff, which is simply made up, and that's what we remember about it. If you say it loud enough, and often enough, people will start to believe it. I think the manufacturers picked a poor commercial name for it...that root "MAL" just gives it a sinister sound. The truth is that its saved more lives than its harmed. ever hear of anyone getting malaryia in this country anymore? it kills people in other parts of the world all the time. not here. not to mention the plethora of other mosquito-borne illnesses.

the hysteria over these types of things causes a backlash that can cause more harm than good. recent outbreaks of encephilitus can be partly blamed on that backlash against "chemicals" , which caused many municipalities to halt mosquito control programs entirely, including ones that use completely non-toxic chemicals and methods of integrated pest management. that's just sad. in an emergency, like we had in NYC a few years ago, these long-term approaches wont' work, so you have to fall back on the big-guns...which they did. and they probably saved a few lives by doing so. if they hadn't abandoned other preventative approaches before that, they wouldn't have had a problem.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:27 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
The most effective way to "cleanse" an Airstream is to charge the inside with Methyl Bromide. That will kill everything, bugs, mice, mildew, mold. It leaves no residue. But, like everything else that "works", it is no longer available. We used to be able to get little bug bomb style canisters at horticultural supply houses for sterilizing the inside of greenhouses. But no longer.

I have an Ohio Private Pesticide Applicators license. I have studied many, many hours to pass the test. I can say, that knowing what I know about these pesticide chemicals, that they are nothing to worry about, if used properly. You are exposed to far dangerous levels of toxic chemicals when you fill up your car or truck at a gas station, change your oil, or drink a cup of coffee.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 05:27 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
Guys, what you fail to realise that these OK doses are based on your average healthy adult male. that's the standard of the test. How many average healthy adult males do we have in the USA?? Oops, they are in the minority, yet the standards are only based on just that .They are based on a bell shaped curve- the highest part of the bell is considered average., the most males. What it doesn't cover is the tails- the extremes. An average healthy guy who can drink pesticides with no problems, is at one extreme. At the other is the man who goes into anaphylactic shock from a whiff of it. Now none of this deals with babies, pregnant women (especially young enough in gestation that they might not be aware of motherhood- but at an extremely critical time in the fetus' growth. Nor does it consider the bell curves of little old ladies with cancer. Or the bell shape curve of kids. you average healthy males who worked with chemicals are on one tail of the bell shape curve- but have you considered the damage to your ability to produce normal healthy kids? We have to consider the people on the other end of the curve- like me- one whiff and I'm out. Like the people with chronic fatigue syndrome, or gulf war syndrome, or the deformed babies born to men exposed to agent orange in Viet Nam. Remember these chemicals arent that old in nature's scheme of things and we are using ourselves and our kids as guinea pigs. For example- how many of you have built something using the greenish tinted wood? Did you suit up? did you use a respirator? how about your kids? I knew 25 years ago that the arsnic that keeps the boards from being eaten by bugs, could produce appreciable amounts of arsnic if one took a cloth over one finger and took a swipe. How many play structures for kids do you know of are built with it. Kids, who run around with their hands on the railing, then stick their hands into their mouths. Well, it took the Govn't ALL THIS TIME to recognise the toxicity of CCA treated wood and to ban it's use. However! Stores are allowed to sell the stock they have remaining. If this wood is used to make a raised gardening bed- in one growing season vegetables ,especially greens like chard, lettuce etc pick up appreciable amounts into their leaves. Organic Gardening Mag had that out tested (by an independent co) 25 years ago. Studies were confirmed by UCSC farm and garden tests. And when you or your child or your little old granny eat these "good" veges", the toxins build up in their systems. the Govn't knew it for a while but didnt bother doing anything about it, until enough groups started protesting.
Love canal was "discovered" by a group of housewives who wondered why everyone was getting so sick, except perhaps your average healthy adult male. Did you know about that CCA wood? Too many of my friends who were on one end of the bellcurve have had their health and their lives ruined by "okay" amounts of chemicals. One was from a flea bomb( she had left for 3 days and came back, then got terribly ill.) Too many friends and kids whose debilitating illnesses were started by legal amounts of pesticides. It's just not worth the chance that you might be on the wrong side of the bell curve. These chemicals have been around since only WW1 &WW2, for the most part. Asbestos was thought to be safe and I predict the same results will be found for fiberglass. Remember the movie Erin Brockovich? It always is prudent to use the least toxic method- like boric acid and sugar, and boric acid and grease, placed where kids and pets are safe.
To you guys who worked in the chemical businesses I salute your health! You are on the right side of the curve -so far. Silver Suz
silver suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 06:45 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamhopeful
Have you ever tried "Miraculous Ant Chalk"? We get these big pieces of chalk from the 99c store down the street for $1 each.
Sounds like you're being overcharged

We use a product named Terro. It's made in St. Louis so it may be local to this area. I think it's just borax in a syrup suspension. It works great! The little buggers carry it back to their nest and they do themselves in.

Dennis
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote