Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-12-2009, 06:33 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wellington , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Y'know, if you have looked around this site, read up on a lot of the renos that folks have done, and watch at all what is going on vis à vis price versus condition, I'd like to ask you this:

Are you convinced that one you are looking at is really worth it? I don't mean the price, it's as cheap as cheap can be, but there is sooo much to be done to it. Are you really ready to spend a year or two bringing it up to a reasonable standard? I mean, for example, the windows are gone: have you priced them out? Woooeee!

Maybe it's time to add up all the prices you have seen and heard on here for what needs to be done to that one and then be honest with yourself: am I getting a worthy trailer, or just buying myself a new, expensive and l-e-n-g-t-h-y hobby?

There are a lot of used Airstreams out there. It can take a little time but mostly effort to find the one you really want, but I have personally found that it's really worth it to do just that.

Just a thought. I'm only tossing that idea out, you can toss it right back in if you don't agree...
------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually, its perfect for me as far as what needs to be done. I dont buy anything done or that I cant build as my own, cars, home, ect. I am just trying to get an idea on what works inside of these. Like the couch for instance, I didnt know that the weight had much to do with it and was a consideration. I tow with a diesel dually, but I have learned to be careful and not pull the Airstream into oblivion and rattle it to death.

I would almost prefer several. One to use now, this one and one totally gutted.

I am just trying to learn a lot and ask many question, so I know how I want to do it. How much of the old, VS the new, what will work and what wont. And, how much $$$ is involved in each project.

I like projects, long and short term. I am in the middle of finishing a 67 340-6 pack dart and am doing a 67 Dodge truck to match, both Q5 turquoise. One a TOTAL 100 restoration (the dart) and the other, just a quick paint job, some new wiring and tune up. But they are a matching package deal. I have 6 more cars in line and yet I look at Airstreams. This summer I will be working on both this trailer and my daughter's 70 Belvedere. I cant stay with just oen rpoject at a time and all this while traveling back and forth to Idaho and building a 1600 sq ft pole barn and mini apartment. A small part at a time.

Remember, if you run out of projects--you die!!! and since I have so many, I will live for a long time!

Dave
LAWFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:15 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
License plate

We had a friend whose license plate was "Projex". paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:00 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wellington , Nevada
Well, my friend is back and its a done deal, $1500 and I will grab it in June or so, after I get a some work done on my pole barn/ shop on the Idaho property that MUST get done this summer. It may end up being the Airstream's home while we eventually build up there.

So, now the real planning can get started now that I know its ours for sure.

Dave
LAWFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:06 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Congratulations....

You just bought yourself a job.......but think of all the fun you are going to have on this adventure......you are going to love it......well, most of it anyway......keep the pictures coming..especially the "look what I found" ones.......and your progress along the way.......good luck, paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:45 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Plymouth , California
couch for 1987

Hi All .. We are looking for a couch for our 87 , 25ft. Does anyone have one for sale. We live in Ca. would like one from a non smoker, and in good condition. Thanks, Tom
bainstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:00 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Gloucester , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Y'know, if you have looked around this site, read up on a lot of the renos that folks have done, and watch at all what is going on vis à vis price versus condition, I'd like to ask you this:

Are you convinced that one you are looking at is really worth it? I don't mean the price, it's as cheap as cheap can be, but there is sooo much to be done to it. Are you really ready to spend a year or two bringing it up to a reasonable standard? I mean, for example, the windows are gone: have you priced them out? Woooeee!

Maybe it's time to add up all the prices you have seen and heard on here for what needs to be done to that one and then be honest with yourself: am I getting a worthy trailer, or just buying myself a new, expensive and l-e-n-g-t-h-y hobby?

There are a lot of used Airstreams out there. It can take a little time but mostly effort to find the one you really want, but I have personally found that it's really worth it to do just that.

Just a thought. I'm only tossing that idea out, you can toss it right back in if you don't agree...
Yes to Aage you listen for he is wise!
JFerguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:31 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
St. Petersburg , Florida
Have a 86 Excella. Great shape!! If your looking for a great deal let me know... Steve
yenko302 is offline   Reply With Quote