Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2011, 07:45 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Banquette -- 1999 25' Safari

Good evening everyone.

We have removed the sofa in our AS, looked for and found flooring we will install, and are now talking with two carpenters to get their quotes to build our banquette (glorified dinette). After they build it, I am going to do the upholstery in ultra leather.

What I'm wondering is, do we need to allow for "flex" of the walls as we travel down the road? I am concerned that if we fit the banquette too tightly, and the walls do have some movement in them, either the walls may become damaged or the banquette.

By the way, we are also changing out the rear twins to a queen (or king). We discussed various ways to accomplish this, but in the end we decided to take the easy way out -- remove the two mattresses and place plywood across the two. We'll end up having to build some storage to fill in a couple of places along the walls. I realize this won't be the easiest of beds to make up, but in the end if we or someone else wants to make it back into twins, it will be easy-peesy.

Thanks so much.

Deb

PS -- Is it Spring yet!!? (Cabin fever here.)
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
I would argue thus...
The walls will not flex enough to be any problem.
Why?
Because the interior and exterior of the shell are both covered with aluminum with a zillion rivets in it.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
DanielB,

Thanks for your thoughts; it's always nice to have another opinion when making decisions.

Deb
Old 03-02-2011, 08:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master

We fitted a factory dinette into the space occupied by the uncomfortable couch and clunky flip out table. Because the odd, irregular shape of the front of the Airstream we built a counter around the dinette. It looks good and we gained something we didn't have in the factory layout--storage for items such as computers and books that lay flat when we are camping.
We retained the factory table next to the fridge in our 25 Safari and mounted a flat screen tv on the wall above the table. Our old tv used to sit on the table and be in the way.
The counter is flush against the wall. No problem with flex.
We framed in the open area under the counter, leaving access for the electrical junction box in the front of the trailer.
It is easier to built a counter than an irregularly shaped custom dinette.
We also replaced the worn out carpet and linoleum with a composite floor. We smoothed the floor and laid in the floor without adhiesives. Easy to install, except for the trim.
A carpenter did the whole job. We are not that handy.
Lots of selection for factory built dinettes in either sleeper or non sleeper style. Google rv furniture. We purchased ours from Discount RV Furniture.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
All of our rebuilt walls, furniture and cabinets were bolted/screwed directly to the aluminum interior and we haven't had any trouble with flex (although we have had minimal travel hours in ours since the rebuild).
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Handn and Bowmans -- Thanks for your input.

As an update on our banquette -- we contacted a finish carpenter who said he could start building it to our specs next week. After he is finished, I am going to do the upholstery.

Due to your info on "flexing", I am not so concerned about how close we get to the walls.

When it's completed, I'll post some pics.

Deb