Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-29-2021, 04:29 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
AS Real world sleeping capacity

I thought I would start this discussion for Future Newbies. I’ve recently responded to posts regarding tow vehicles, trailer length, etc., where future buyers are contemplating which size trailer to purchase. Some have mentioned the number of individuals who will be traveling in the Airstream. Some exceeding what I feel is going to be a comfortable bedtime arrangement. Most of us have been answering the question at hand, and not discussing passenger capacity. We are a family of four, My wife and I and two children ages 8 & 5. We are already on our second Airstream just for this reason. Yes there are going to be variables: Will you be using the Airstream for weekends, weeks or months at a time? How comfortable do you need it for a given period of time. Perfect example: My 8 year old started complaining of discomfort sleeping on the dinette & couch cushions after 1 week. Being we just started our month long trip, we purchased 3” memory foam toppers to solve the issue. Then there is storage…we rolled the toppers and placed them at the foot of our 25 FB’s queen bed which takes up a lot of space. You probably don’t need Foam toppers for two or three days at a time, it might become a different conversation after a week or longer.
Airstreams specified sleeping capacity: My guess is Airstream is taking into account that two people can sleep on the converted dinette and two on the converted lounge. When converted, my dinette in my 30’ Flying cloud is 74”x44.5”...6.5” wider than a twin, 8.5” narrower than a full (A twin is 75”x38”). I would say Real World for the 25' or 27' FB’s Maximum sleeping is: 2 adults | 2 kids...4 total...not 6. You might be able to have 2 kids on the dinette and a very short adult (5'4"-5'6") on the lounge.
Practicality:
As I said, a weekend-week or two…converting a dinette is fine. The issue isn’t the process of breaking down and setting up, after all…it’s camping…what else are we going to do. The issue is the loss of space. For an entire month, my wife and I broke down the dinette so the kids can sleep...Now what? You can go outside, unfortunately it was winter in the desert…or read a book, watch tv in bed…try not to pass out. These are all things to take into account when deciding on your purchase and how you plan on using your Airstream.
My opinion…As a couple, you have a wide choice. As a family, using for a weekend or two/three week trip, you can get away with a 25’ or 27’. If you start planning longer trips as a family, I highly suggest the bunkhouse. It gives the kids their own space. You can wake up in the morning, enjoy a cup of coffee without waking the kids. The FC 30’ Bunk is very versatile for a family. With its configuration It can sleep:
• 2 Adults & 3 kids without converting dinette or lounge
• 6 Adults & 1 child: (2) Queen | (2) Lower Double | (1) Dinette | (1) Lounge | Child up top
• 5 Adults & 3 kids, etc…

I've commented on a 25’, 27’ & 30’ Bunk…thoughts on these and other floor plans.
s1000pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 04:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
6 for cocktails, 4 for dinner & 2 for overnights

We've always said:

"6 for cocktails, 4 for dinner & 2 for overnights"

But we don't have kids & travel in a 22-footer with twins. We had a 19-footer before our current trailer which had a gaucho/sofa bed that had to be made up/down every day. It was fine for a weekend or 3-4 days, but much longer and it got to be a PITA. I would say the same would be the case with kids - the longer the trip, the more full-time beds or personal space would be needed.

Another "problem" we ran into is "one of us" (not me!) would sneak in to take a nap on the sofa mid-day and the other would have the same idea...but it was too late - the "sofa" was already taken in it's upright position.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 05:29 PM   #3
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Regardless of how many beds you do or don't have, or how tightly the little ones can cram into a dinette for the night...

There is still only one toilet. That to me is as much a limitation as the beds.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 06:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
I’ve come to the conclusion that whether you have a 45’ diesel pusher or a ‘19 Bambi, they are built for 2 people to sleep. Any more than that there will be compromises by someone.
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 07:24 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
Nashville , Tennessee
With respect to the 16ft Bambi and Caravel, I can't see how any more than 2 is possible. With such limited storage and counter space, the table is frequently used to set things that wouldn't otherwise have a home. Plus a full second set of linens would eat up precious cabinet space.
NeonFlamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 07:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
I can tell you from real world field testing that 4 Adults cannot sleep in a Bambi 22.

Unless you think a sobbing person on the floor is an appropriate way to spend your vacation.

(note-our adult kids were supposed to be in a tent. Due to animals, weather, and other factors that didn't work out so well.)

We moved up to a 25 and then a 27 and those work just great for sleeping 4 adults.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 07:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
For us the sleeping is also a very important part of the equation.

You spend more hours in the bed than anywhere else. If you can't sleep decent it will affect your enjoyment.

Yes we "were" tent campers 10 years ago but that's no longer the case.

The 65 TW had a nice gaucho but one of you ends up in a crack or on the smaller section.

The 62 Ambs had a Ikea futon with memory foam that was adequate for 3 to 4 days but still not a restful sleep as you always had to wake when repositioning.

The 61 GT has a front gaucho where one of you sleeps in the crack under the front shelf and you pretty much have to make it up during the day as it's hard to get out the front door if you don't.

The 62 Ovln has 2 generous twin beds with nice 10" memory foam mattresses. So far it's the best nights sleep. Not crazy about memory foam but we might get used to it.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:34 PM   #8
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
We've slept 6 kids, 2 adults and a dog in our modified 25' six sleeper. Beats a tent in the rain any day of the week haha. 25SS was great for sleeping but floorplan was discontinued in 2009 or 2010.

We did the same modifications to the lounge of our 30' (removed cabinet behind the couch, replaced dinette bench with an extension of the lounge). Lots of room for people to lay around

Trailer modification was featured on the back cover of airstream life one month which was cool.

More details here:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f53...um-182406.html

personally I think the best floorplans for many sleepers are:

1. 30' flying cloud bunk
2. 30' international or flying cloud (pictured below with the brown cushions)
3. Custom build $$$$

We have since added an outside apartment on the tow vehicle. Some kids can now sleep in the camper shell, some go up top!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bed3.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	394479   Click image for larger version

Name:	bed1.jpeg
Views:	80
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	394480  

Name:	bed2.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	394481   Click image for larger version

Name:	bed4.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	244.4 KB
ID:	394482  

Name:	IMG_2119.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	345.5 KB
ID:	394483  
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:45 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2009 19' Flying Cloud
San Mateo , California
My family of 4 adult sized people travel in my 19' AS.

My wife and I sleep in the corner bed. One sleeps in converted dinette. For the fourth, we have an air bed that converts the backseat of the tow vehicle. If the weather is pleasant, we pitch tents next to the AS.

But I agree with one of the above posts, the real limitation is bathroom and grey water tank, not sleeping arrangements.
mkarahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 10:00 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Cameron Park , California
Space Available

Just to sneak in a comment re space available—Roberta and I, with two years of traveling the States planned, decided to go big, both for storage space and simple “breathing room.” Our choice: Flying Cloud 30RB. For ONE WEEK of a two-months journey prior to covid outbreak, we had her best girlfriend aboard. Suddenly, “snug” and “cozy” became CROWDED, particularly first hours of the day as adult bodies were taking turns using the facilities with privacy curtain drawn and the social area was being reconfigured from sleeping quarters to morning coffee and ham-and-eggs. What I’m saying is, the extra three feet (or six feet) didn’t make a difference. PRIVACY is just not in the cards.
John & Roberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 10:07 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
Two is the number.
No kids, no cooking, no clutter.
Old 04-30-2021, 12:27 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Bambi II Bunkhouse

We camp four in our 17' Bambi II; probably the only Bambi II bunkhouse on the planet. Bunks for the girls; foldout gaucho for mom and dad.

It beats a tent every time.

The poster who mentioned that privacy is not an option...totally true.

Anyone who can't envision sleeping more than 2 adults in a trailer no matter what the size...well.

And there is a great feature in one of the well-read Airstream books on a family who is able to sleep ten in a 32 footer.

It is a well-documented perception that Airstreams do not make a great family camper. I guess that depends on your family and how you like to "camp."

As with everything else, and as can be applied to any thread on the Forums, to each his own.
Old 04-30-2021, 01:53 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
[QUOTE=InsideOut;2488922]We've always said:

"6 for cocktails, 4 for dinner & 2 for overnights"

We go by this in our 31'.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 03:57 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1963 30' Sovereign
Alden , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA BAMBI II View Post

And there is a great feature in one of the well-read Airstream books on a family who is able to sleep ten in a 32 footer.
I'd love to see the layout and photos of that. Anyone have them? We are still trying to figure out the layout for our 30' Sovereign. Ideally we'd like quad bunks and a static parent bed. (meaning not having to go back to dinette or gaucho.) We keep coming back to having either a convertible dinette or parent bedroom. We can't figure out how to have both without it being ridiculously crowded.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:30 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
South Easton , MA
I don't cram in when I use a tent, why would I in a trailer? I have a 4 person tent and honestly it only sleeps 2 comfortably with room for clothes and whatever... I'm finding the claims about how many people can sleep in these trailers are a bit aggressive, same way tents are advertised to sleep 4 or 5 when in reality is a squeeze. Also note that in these trailers larger and tall people really suffer.. don't buy into the claims, measure 2x, sleep well for ever
kgottleib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:37 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
Milton , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Northsite
Unless I be considered among the great unwashed, I changed my ways. No longer an Air Streamer person, I switched to a big Arctic Fox, 32-5m, and have room for everything I own. No longer can my dually say "I don't even know it's back there".
Why? No more boondoggling, my travailing has changed to being a "destination traveler." I get to where I'm going and set up for a while; The Keys Oct - Nov, my daughter's before Thanksgiving until after New Years, my cousins in UT for Jan-Feb ski season (this is a real 4 season 5th wheel), etc.

[IMG]d:Seagate Backup Plus/trailer.JPG[/IMG]
Northsite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:39 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
Milton , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Northsite
Didn't copy the picture.
Northsite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 03:09 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Camas , Washington
YEP, duh.

27FBT - two adults, two small kids
previously 23FB - two adults
Previously 42' Class A - two adults, four kids
Old 05-06-2021, 07:43 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagvan View Post
I'd love to see the layout and photos of that. Anyone have them? We are still trying to figure out the layout for our 30' Sovereign. Ideally we'd like quad bunks and a static parent bed. (meaning not having to go back to dinette or gaucho.) We keep coming back to having either a convertible dinette or parent bedroom. We can't figure out how to have both without it being ridiculously crowded.

The book is "Living the Airstream Life" by Karen Flett. I have no association with the author or her book, other than it was a special gift from my girls and it sits on my library shelf with two dozen other Airstream/vintage camper books and I like to peruse it every now and again.

Within the story on "Katie and Rob" starting on page 100, their 32 foot Excella can actually sleep 12. The rear bedroom became a bunk room with four bunks and a fold out bed. Two bunks are built into the former hallway closet. Permanent double bed in the front for the parents. The curbside living space holds a custom couch that can fold into a single and a double bed. Privacy? Nah...but they can sleep 12 if needed.

That's a very short description based on the text in Ms. Flett's book. There are a few pics (not enough to REALLY show all the sleeping areas), but enough to paint the picture. It is really a clever design. This trailer also, apparently, holds a dishwasher.

Now...what tow vehicle holds 12 people? I guess a super-stretch one-ton van would do it.