Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-08-2005, 10:43 AM   #1
Shiree

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Question Aluminum Interior Skins in ??? models?

I'm new, new, new to the forum and it's awesome!

I'm currently searching vigorously for my first trailer and I would strongly prefer to have a model with an interior aluminum skin. Can someone tell me what years/models were offered with aluminum interior skins? Or point me to a reference page that might list it? I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks,

Shiree
Alluminatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 11:02 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Aluminum Interior Skins in ??? models?

Greetings Shire!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alluminatrix
I'm new, new, new to the forum and it's awesome!

I'm currently searching vigorously for my first trailer and I would strongly prefer to have a model with an interior aluminum skin. Can someone tell me what years/models were offered with aluminum interior skins? Or point me to a reference page that might list it? I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks,

Shiree
If what you are wanting is a coach with interior shell of aluminum plain, unpainted aluminum, a late model CCD would be the only coaches routinely manufactured with non-painted/vinyl coated interior shell walls. Prior to 1965, the interior shell was painted aluminum (Zolatone) with ABS plastic or fiberglass interior endcaps being adopted sometime in the early 1960s (my '64 Overlander has the "plastic" endcaps). Beginning in 1965, if my notes are correct, the interior shell aluminum panels were clad in vinyl - - and from this point forward, the interior shell panels were vinyl-clad, upholstered, or "wall-papered" until the introduction of the CCD series.

Good luck with your search!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 11:31 AM   #3
Shiree

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Late Model CCD

Thanks for the info., Kevin. I'm new enough at this that I'm not sure what you mean by "a late model CCD" - would you mind explaining?

The trailer I've been in that had a polished aluminum interior was a 1949 Airstream at the Shady Dell. When I checked their website just now, it actually says: "The ceiling at both ends is polished aluminum...", so maybe what I've seen is a trailer with aluminum endcaps. Is that maybe what I'm looking for? Maybe there aren't trailers with completely aluminum interiors. But there will be when I get done! : )

Help me out if you can - I'm confused!

Thanks,

Shiree
Alluminatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 12:13 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Aluminum Interior Skins in ??? models?

Greetings Shiree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alluminatrix
Thanks for the info., Kevin. I'm new enough at this that I'm not sure what you mean by "a late model CCD" - would you mind explaining?

The trailer I've been in that had a polished aluminum interior was a 1949 Airstream at the Shady Dell. When I checked their website just now, it actually says: "The ceiling at both ends is polished aluminum...", so maybe what I've seen is a trailer with aluminum endcaps. Is that maybe what I'm looking for? Maybe there aren't trailers with completely aluminum interiors. But there will be when I get done! : )

Help me out if you can - I'm confused!

Thanks,

Shiree
The '49 coach at Shady Dell has been restored/refurbished. It would have originally had painted rather than polished aluminum on the interior if my notes are correct. There have been a number of owners who have stripped and polished all or portions of the interior aluminum. The CCD coaches were introduced within the past five or six years, and are currently available in sizes ranging from 16' to 28'. Tin Can Luv, a member of this Forum from St. Louis, has been working on cladding much of the interior of a '70s era coach with "bright" aluminum. If you want a coach (other than a late model CCD) that has interior aluminum shell walls as well as endcaps you will be looking for a pre-1963(?--my notes indicate "plastic" endcaps began in '64 but I am not confident in that date). The Zolatone paint that was utilized can be stripped and the aluminum polished, but it can be time consuming as the Zolatone is very durable paint. Others have tried stripping the vinyl cladding (that began with '65 models) with varying degress of frustration and success.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 06:59 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Willis , Texas
Exclamation Aluminum Interior

Dear Shiree, The 1953 Silver Streak Clipper 22' that I have for sale, North of Houston, has aluminum interior. So I suppose you would have to go back into the 50's. Best wishes, Penny
ptaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 10:00 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
My 59 has fiberglass end caps. 59 was a transition year. I don't think any of the 7 panel (amount of panels it takes to make the exterior caps) have aluminum inner cap. You are going to have to find a coach with 13 panels and they stopped building them by 59.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:55 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Willis , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaylor View Post
Dear Shiree, The 1953 Silver Streak Clipper 22' that I have for sale, North of Houston, has aluminum interior. So I suppose you would have to go back into the 50's. Best wishes, Penny
It is sold. Thanks. Happy Trails, Penny, TX
ptaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
1958 was to my knowledge the last year of all aluminum interior end caps. I have also been told or read that you could of had a non Zolatone option in the 1950's era models, but there were very few ever ordered. My guess is they were not the look that people wanted back then, Zolatone looked warmer to buyers back then, or it looked less industrial!

Todd
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:34 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaylor View Post
It is sold. Thanks. Happy Trails, Penny, TX
WOW. Did it take you 5 years to sell it?
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote