Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2023, 03:20 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Fitchburg , WI
Alternative interior skin?

Hello,
Has anyone used alternative material (other than aluminum) for the interior skin? We have ours all removed right now and I just want to know what options are available. Please share what you know. The Pro's & Con's.

Thanks so much,
Bill

Click image for larger version

Name:	Belle Interior.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	290.0 KB
ID:	429896
Bill Dietlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 03:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
What ever you use needs to be similar to the aluminum as in continuous to give the trailer strength. It needs an inner and outer skin to give it rigidity. For instance, if you used narrow strips of wood I don’t think it would be as stiff a structure. I bet it is fairly floppy right now. Remember years ago someone in Ontario had the inner skins off and we had a large snowfall(maybe a foot of snow) and his trailer collapsed.
I had the vinyl ceiling fail on mine and removed the mouse fur from the walls as well as the vinyl. Cleaned as best I could and then installed cork with contact cement. Very nice and increased the insulation of the trailer tremendously.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 07:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
For decades now-vintage trailers used 1/8” plywood which follows the curves with relative ease and provides the strength needed. The classic look is birch plywood with an amber shellac finish, but there are lots of wood options and design looks you could go for. For ideas, Google Ralph Lauren Airstreams.

The advantages would be cost and it’s easier to work with than aluminum. If you don’t like the look, that would be a fatal disadvantage.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 07:49 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
1976 31' Sovereign
Princeton , Minnesota
Sir,
I am having a bit of trouble trying to research what restorers are using inside to cover the inner skins. I am restoring a 1976 Sovereign Land Yacht. I have gutted the inside and will be installing the original inner skins for support. We removed the stereos and all speakers and have holes all over the place as we also relocated receptacles. It has been my plan all along not to wash and paint the inner skins, but cover them up. What are people using to cover...it sounds like they are going with 1/8 inch material and then either painting or staining. That is fine, but I was wondering what they are using to cover...thanks. Steve
spfleghaar is offline   Reply With Quote