Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-20-2004, 09:55 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1985 29' Sovereign
Kelowna , B.C.
Airstream twin Bed solutions

New owner of an 1985 29' 6" Sovereign with twinn beds in the rear. In my "test" sleeps on the twin bed, I'm reminded of sleeping with an old girl friend in her dad's cabin too many years ago to mention ...... the bed was harder than heck, but I didn't mind too much as I thought the future would turn out "great" ...... the realationship didn't work out , the bed almost killed me, but I was lucky enough to find a "great girl" and now what looks like a "great" trailer, but with the "bed from the past" ...... I'm looking at the "NovaForm Elite Memory Foam Mattress Topper" from Costco. It's a two inch foam with a terry cloth cover .... since the twin beds measures 32" by 78" I'm thinking of buying the "king" topper at 76" by 80", cuting it in two and resewing the cover to fit after cutting the foam to fit the matress shape. Wondering if the 2" foam will be enough to defeat the buckboard ride of the present Airstream mattress. My other question is about sheets for these beds, can/are there suppliers of sheets that will fit these beds without buying normal sheets and modifying them to fit ??? I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions .... thanks Brian
briandeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 10:35 AM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
We bought a high end memory foam pad for one of our twins in the Safari. We bought the twin size. My wife who is particular about her comfort felt that it made a big improvement. As far as sheets go you can purchase a standard twin fitted sheet. It seems to go around the corner cut ok and we had no problems with the sheet pulling out.

Now if you are really game to change here is a link to a company that produces an air bed that will fit the curved corners.

http://www.bearbeds.com/airstream.html

We plan to purchase a new memory foam pad for the new queen in our Classic.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 10:46 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
I have an 1987 29' with twins and it came with a harder than heck sealy mattress. My wife and I went to Kohls Department store and purchased a quilted mattress pad cover (didn't even know these exsisted until I went in search of a matress pad). They are a little pricey in comparison to a standard white mattress pad but well worth it. These covers are very similar to the padded quilting you see on high end home mattresses - with the nice design and everything (not that you'll see it much). We were amazed at the difference. Much better than just a mattress pad and the twin version fit fine without having to cut or sew anything. My wife and I both are very pleased with this solution and just for reference our home mattress is a high end pillow top - so we were picky to start out with.

And yes standard fitted sheet work fine with these mattresses - no need to modify anything. - You'll gain an inch and a half in mattress height with the above mentioned pad - also contributes to the sheets fitting better.
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 12:29 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Yorktown , Virginia
We bought a King size memory-foam topper from Costco & used an electric knife to cut out pads for the twin beds. They work great! We even went back to Costco and bought a Queen topper for the fold out font couch.

Roy
R&SZinser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 07:18 AM   #5
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Bed Sheets

Check out WWW.sheetsusa.com/index.asp I got my twin sheets from them and they are great.

Don
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 10:31 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1985 29' Sovereign
Kelowna , B.C.
Airstream Twinn Beds Solutions

Thanks so much to all that have replied ..... I've purchased the memory foam solution and will give it a try ... if I need more cushon than the two inches, I'll either get another 2 inch memory foam matress cover and "double up" or get a quilted matress cover if I find that the foam makes us too warm ...... thanks again guys .... nice to have this forum for support and ideas ..... thanks Brian
briandeacon is offline   Reply With Quote