Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-03-2004, 11:21 PM   #1

Airstream trailer insullation

Hello to all,
I'm newbie here on the forum and I'm very interested in buying a newer Airstream trailer for my retirement and I'm wondering how well they are insullated. I've been told that most RV's and trailers only have a 1" foam core insullation and I'm hoping that Airstreams are better insullated than that.

Thanks in advance.

Michael.......
alltrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 11:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Alltrips,

I'm sitting down here in south texas this winter. It has been colder than normal. My unit is older and I have been burning the propane this winter. My unit is tight, has a strong furnace but, still burns a lot of propane when it is cold.

An airstreams alum skin solidly anchored to steel ribs with an alum interior solidly anchored to the same steel ribs is going to conduct heat or cold very well.

I can tell you the better build 5th wheels such as Holiday rambler/Newmars are much better insulated than my unit.

Let some of the folks with the later models give you the straight scoop but, I would be surprised if an Airstream could ever be rated above average due to alum. const.

Be sure to check the insulated liners on the newer units. I have been told the glue can break down if the units get too hot in the sun. I talked to a WBCCI member that paid the factory $3500 to repair his sagging liner.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 12:33 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Try www.airstream.com

This can give you a lot of information. You can request a brouchure also. We recently got 34 foot classic with the slide out. We will take it out for the first time at the end of the month. We have used the furnace frequently while very cold. The furnace works great and it kept it very warm while working inside. It is ducted to keep the plumbing warm, etc.

It is dangerous to go look at the new ones. We attended the Bill Thomas Rally in Sedalia, Mo. in the fall. It was great, and we soon made the trip to Wentzville, Mo. to order one. The quality is supurb. We have another brand also which we will sell soon, but we found nothing to compare to the quality of the Airstream. Plus it pulls like a dream. We have spent many hours looking at different brands. It was all over after we saw the Airstreams at the Rally. Try to go to one if you can.

Good hunting!!! Myrna
myrna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 06:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
There is 1 5/8" between the skins (btw, the ribs are aluminum) on my motorhome, it was filled with fiberglass bat insulation. Very few manufacturers claim their units are anything other than 3 season rvs. With DOT regulations on width and length every inch counts, not to mention the weight penalty from using deeper walls and windows. You would also have to contend with vents, ac, water heater, etc. that are exposed to the outside air.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 08:45 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

We picked up our "new to us" 2002 31' at Bill Thomas when the outside temps were at 14 and stayed there for the next two days as we headed to our winter location in Mesa.

While the furnace stayed busy, it always was able to cycle (indication of ability to raise temp well?). Yes we burned LP but the unit was tight, non-drafty and warm. BTW we had a 1983 and i can tell you that it would have been much colder than our new one.

I understand that Airstream is now installing an insulating material between the outside skins and the aluminum ribs to help isolate that particular "heat sink".

Anyway, we are pleased for what that is worth.

Dave S.
baldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 09:53 AM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Re: Try www.airstream.com

Quote:
Originally posted by myrnaw
It is dangerous to go look at the new ones. We attended the Bill Thomas Rally in Sedalia, Mo. in the fall. Good hunting!!! Myrna
I was there too! That's where I placed my order after walking through the 30' Classic S.O. that he brought up there.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 11:16 AM   #7
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Re: Airstream trailer insullation

Quote:
Originally posted by alltrips
Hello to all,
I'm newbie here on the forum and I'm very interested in buying a newer Airstream trailer for my retirement and I'm wondering how well they are insullated. I've been told that most RV's and trailers only have a 1" foam core insullation and I'm hoping that Airstreams are better insullated than that.

Thanks in advance.

Michael.......
Hi Michael!

I think it's fair to say that until probably the last five years, any given year of Airstream was better equipped to handle the cold better than anything else of the same year.

Just in the past five years or so though, many of the high-dollar S.O.B.s (some other brand; and particularly motorhomes) have begun to look at extended-season use. They're better insulated, have more effective furnace ducting systems, double-pane insulated windows, and have better heating in the basements to keep the tanks and plumbing happy (not necessarily better than Airstream, but better than what they've offered in the past).

The newest Airstream I've owned is the one I have now, a '94, so I really can't tell you what the factory is doing differently with it's newer models if anything, in that regard.

It would certainly be worthwhile for you to look at all of the units out there if you're planning on any extended cold-weather (below about 25 degrees constant temps) camping, and THEN compare what Airstream has to offer.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote