Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2005, 06:35 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Airstream on TLC 9 March and others

There is an Airstream trailer that just went onto Ebay. It states that it was part of the While you were out, and the interior was updated.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=50063

1974 27' Airstream Overlander. This camper is featured on The Learning Channel's While You Were Out TV show. You can watch the remodelling of this Airstream on TLC March 9 at 9pm central time, March 10 at midnight, March 13 at 10am, and March 25 at 4pm. The interior was completely gutted except for the bathroom. A new subfloor and custom interior complete with two leather recliners, refridgerator and handmade table, wall unit, pillows, and bench cushions was installed. The bathroom does need to be completely redone in order to make in working condition.

The exterior was not redone. Tires are in good shape and the camper tows well. Exterior lights need to be rewired.
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 08:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
I pity the person that buys that. They have absolutely no idea what they are doing and have RUINED that coach.

I love them NAILING carpet to the walls. No wonder its for sale.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 09:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Wow - Really Really bad.
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 09:13 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

tlc airstream

I would be sooooo pised off if my wife had this done to our airstream the nailed on carpet looks like *##$
paul k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 09:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
You know, the trailer really depicts a tv prop doesn't it? Appears to be something that we recognize, but in reality, another hack job on a trailer.
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 09:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Haven't seen an episode yet of that show that turned out great. I mean, it's usually some kind of improvement, but this one is pretty sad.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:44 PM   #7
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
While you ruined our Airstream!!!

OOPs.

Didn't see the thread about the tlc show already started....

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=15721
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 11:55 PM   #8
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
I just watched the episode. What a disaster. Those people have no professionalism at all either.

The table was built wrong and they just left it. The bed didn't line up and they left that too.

The buffing job was a joke to say the least.

I can't believe they aired the show their workmanship was so bad!
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 05:01 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
I think the term is "Screwed the Pooch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulk
I would be sooooo pised off if my wife had this done to our airstream the nailed on carpet looks like *##$
From the look on the owner's face when he saw it, I think that that is EXACTLY what he was.....

No access to bathroom - no kitchen - and a bed/table supported by ONE floating base with 12" legs!

The trailer now has only residiual value.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 07:24 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Plymouth , New York
After the fist 10 minutes

My wife asked me, what's wrong? As if I was hurting. Well, after seeing them gut an Airstream like that, and laughing, I was hurting. Then, the job they did to it...I too would be super ticked off at my wife (she was only 5 months new too) that it would take a long time to correct in our relationship. What a pity.

Those parts they destroyed, so you couldn't even go back...they had no idea what they were doing. They are not allowed in my area, or near my Airstreams.
Courtesy parking

Old 03-10-2005, 07:40 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Ossining , New York
PR None the less

I agree with you all that this show destroyed a perfectly good coach and also trashed everything they removed with no respect to it being recyclable by many of us!
But, for me anytime AS is in mainstream tv or movies, it helps me justify to the other half why I need to spend more on the ole AS. : )
J
1956Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 07:49 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Pathetic...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 07:54 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

I wonder if the cast and crew have any shame over this?

It didn't look like the participants were getting along very well during the shooting, but it is hard to tell because editing can skew the story in any direction desired.

Still, after the frenzy of demolition (with bars and hammers!) childish quarrelling seemed to be the order of the day. There was even a measure of contempt directed at the poor Airstream itself. I don't think any of these people wanted to be there, enjoyed the project and needless to say none had even a trace of knowledge or skill to makeover an Airstream.

By the reveal, the glued and stapled! carpet had already begun to fall off the walls. None of the built-in systems remained or worked and even the K-mart polisher shine had only been started and remains unfinished today.

All in all, I wish I had never seen the show.
bobechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 08:05 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Tried getting the the TLC forums but as typical for that show the links on the section for that show are a hack job as well and keeps crashing the browser.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 09:13 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

I got on the TLC forums, and most of the commentary was positive- but not directed at the work. Directed rather at the haircuts, clothes, jokes and so on of the cast. Apparently there are groupies even for these lame-ass "unscripted" makeover shows.

Two well-directed critiques, more in the tenor of this forum were posted and I have taken the liberty of copying them here.

alcoaprincess said:

"Don't EVER go near my trailer, WYWO!!!

I usually like this show, but have never seen the kind of horrible failure shown in this episode! I can only say it was tragically funny. The project was a full scale failure--from all aspects of design to execution (and I think the crew knew that at the end).

At the start, the trailer had an unasthetic renovation job (no, the interior was not original), but it had good aluminum skin on both the interior and outside. The results of what they did showed that the team had no idea of just how difficult a job they took on.

1. They resurfaced the flooring everywhere but the bathroom. That was good, though mystifying why they skipped the bathroom, since water tends to leak there.

2. They put carpeting everywhere. HELLO! Carpeting plus trailers don't mix. A few weeks of tramping in with mud on feet and the carpet will look revolting and harbor odors. Most owners of 70s/80s trailers (when carpetting trailers was in) have ripped it out and replaced it with Pergo or vinyl tile.

3. They used a nail gun to attach the carpetting, etc. to the interior wall. IDIOTS! This puts holes in the interior skin that you can never take out, may harm wiring, and any remaining nails will rust out (trailers are not as dry as houses). You attach items to trailers with rivets. That nailing just took off most of the value of the trailer. Despite this, the carpetting was still falling off the walls (because, TLC geniuses, there isn't any solid surface for the nails to attach too!!!).

4. They ruined the exterior finish with a half-baked effort at polishing. Polishing a trailer of this size would take about 300 labor hours--and they didn't even use the right equipment. It would have been better to leave the old patina rather than leaving the messy swirls they left behind (notice that after a while, the polishing was just dropped).

5. The non-functional table blocks the entrance to the bathroom (which, incidently, they didn't work on). The table is also on casters, so it will roll around the trailer, smashing into everything when anyone moves the trailer. The cushions have about 1/3 the foam necessary to not feel the hard surface below (at least the air mattress would have been comfortable). It won't be comfortable at all. So, forget going to the bathroom, much less falling asleep in the place.

6. They tore out an ugly, but apparently functional kitchen and replaced it with...nothing! Yes, they did give them a fridge, but it was a useless home depot version that they didn't even bother to install! An RV fridge works off both propane and electricity--but obvously the budget for destroying the trailer didn't extend to getting the right kind of fridge--or any kitchen fixtures. So, it won't keep their food cold once they hit the road. But that won't matter. They no longer have a sink or stove either!

7. That pretty shelf unit, benches and table were made out of the most inappropriate material possible--MDF. As mentioned, trailers are inherently damper than homes. That stuff will warp in no time. Meanwhile, its density will add significantly to the trailer's weight, making it harder to pull with a truck.

When the HO returned to find his trailer redo, it was obvious that he was horrified with the results. Unlike most episodes where bad results can be reversed with a coat of paint, WYWO actually pretty much destroyed this guy's property to an unrepairable state. Surprise, surprise, folks--they're now selling it on Ebay (item 4534093355)!

TLC--your reno crews are NOT welcome anywhere near my '62 'Stream!"

and Tulane20 said:

"Oh! Somebody didn't do their homework. I usually enjoy these programs but you guys destroyed that man's antique Airstream. He obviously bought it with an intent to restore and there is no chance that he can do that now. You ripped out all the plumbing and stuff along with EVERY bit of the original. Now, I understand it was in bad shape but really. I saw the look on his face along with about 2 million other viewers. Suffice it to say, he was not a happy camper!"

Now, if you had that trailer (in the same condition as the beginning of the show) and $2,000 tospend on parts (same as the show premise) what would you have done differently?
Old 03-10-2005, 09:42 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Bobechs, regarding shame... don't count on it.
The producers and cast will simply tell themselves one or more of the following as they fall asleep...

"They should've known what they were getting into, anyone who watches the show can see pretty much what they'll end up with."
"What do you expect, this is mainly for entertainment purposes!"
"What do you expect for 2 days and a couple grand?!"
"It's not like they were gonna live there forever."
"Thank goodness for those liability waivers we have them sign."
"Oh well, that couple didn't seem that close anyways."
"If he leaves her over this, at least they didn't have kids."
Old 03-10-2005, 11:29 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

I also looked at the bid history on the e-bay auction. I have never seen such an odd collection of no-feedback, low feed-back, negative feedback and long-dormant accounts bidding on any item before. It suggests to me that this deal is not all on the up-and-up. I have no interest at all in ever owning this trailer, but I don't think this auction is even going to give an accurate read on what a trashed trailer is worth on the open market.

Hate to be so negative about all of this, but as I said I would be happier never to have known anything about this episode.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:11 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Plymouth , New York
I feel bad

I'm sorry I saw this and told everyone on here about it...making people feel bad and all. I did not think they'd go this low and destroy this trailer. Oh well. It's just one of those Airstreams on TV threads.

Rob
Courtesy parking

Old 03-10-2005, 12:46 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Not your fault, Rob. Dissapointment is usually proportional to anticipation and this looked really good going in. I made a special point to be in front of a TV when this show aired and I almost never do that. Quite the opposite: I usally make it a point NOT to be around a TV during presidential speeches, the superbowl and other performances that I know are going to annoy and depress me. There was no way to know this was going to fall into the same category.

I want to thank you for going to the trouble not only to notice this, but to make the showtimes easy to access. I would still watch an Airstream based show (except for Paris Hilton, et al.) but I would like a positive review in advance. I guess I will rely on this group of fine folks to provide that.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:02 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Rob, thanks for highlighting the program.... they were the biggest hacks in the world. Heck they even made the folks on MTVs Pimp My Ride (West Coast Customs) look reputable. That said, I still enjoy any programs that highlight classic trailers. So, has anyone had the guts to email the couple and inquire whether this travesty has destroyed their marrige???
toddster is offline   Reply With Quote