Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2015, 06:23 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Chilhowie , Virginia
The hel* you say!! I had no clue!! I am going to call Out Of Doors Mart in NC and see if they would allow me to take some pictures and measurements. Then I can order the brackets from them. I pass by them on my job route from Virginia.
Hoobiedoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:43 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Adding dinette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoobiedoobie View Post
The hel* you say!! I had no clue!! I am going to call Out Of Doors Mart in NC and see if they would allow me to take some pictures and measurements. Then I can order the brackets from them. I pass by them on my job route from Virginia.

I built a long seat and short one like you describe using simple 2x2 framing to keep it light weight. Hinges on the tops allow for great storage. My plan is to have cushions made by an upholster, but haven't done so yet. I've been wanting to check newer Airstreams to compare my bench measurements, although what I've got seems to work well and be at a pretty comfortable height WITHOUT cushions. That said, it would be nice to know the dimensions of Airstream benches.

Once you get the measurements, I'd really appreciate hearing about the following if you don't mind...

Bench seat height without cushion
Bench seat depth
Cushion depth
Table length and width

I've used some table legs that fold down for creating the dinette. These are OK, but are somewhat wobbly and a bit of a pain to use. Anyone have a recommendation for a stable center base that raises and lowers easily? Perhaps gas charged.
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:59 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Adding dinette

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Funny, many of us who own a newer Airstream with the dinette/side couch arrangement don't find it comfortable for relaxing at night or watching TV.

Kelvin

I'm curious what you disliked about the dinette/side couch? Was it that the table seemed sort of in the way? That's the one thing that has bothered me from time to time is that the table makes things a bit closed in when not being used as a table (eg, watching a movie with the kids). I've considered coming up with a table that breaks down more easily so I could put it away somewhere, but then that's somewhat of a hassle along with the storage, etc.

Otherwise the dinette has been great for us and our two kids. Perfect for playing cards on rainy days.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:10 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoobiedoobie View Post

Could just be the angle, but does only the right side of the dinette have a wedge pillow behind the back cushion?

The right shorter bench also appears to have some sort of hinge or something at the base. Does the table drop down to make the bed, or does the right seat fold open to make a bed platform?
Old 09-25-2015, 07:43 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
1979 31' Sovereign
1999 25' Safari
Youngsville , North Carolina
dinette

Here is pic of one I have
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0062.jpeg
Views:	130
Size:	272.4 KB
ID:	248911  
heslinhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:39 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYAirstream View Post
I'm curious what you disliked about the dinette/side couch? Was it that the table seemed sort of in the way? That's the one thing that has bothered me from time to time is that the table makes things a bit closed in when not being used as a table (eg, watching a movie with the kids). I've considered coming up with a table that breaks down more easily so I could put it away somewhere, but then that's somewhat of a hassle along with the storage, etc.

Otherwise the dinette has been great for us and our two kids. Perfect for playing cards on rainy days.
The dinette/side couch is a love/hate relationship for me. For meals the dinette is great, although the table seems a little too wide sometimes and I'm not an obese person. My table when it's put down fits on top of the dinette seats vs resting on supports between the dinette seats so I suppose that what makes it wider. The Classic table is also very heavy trying to swing it back up. The TV is 90 to the table. Not too bad watching from the curb side dinette seat but from the street side you have to turn your head 90 deg. If we turn around with our backs to the rear wall/window and spread our legs out straight then finding a cushion that fits between the dinette and table that provides enough support and distance from the window is a challenge. Putting the table down to make a large lounge has been tried but even putting the back rest from the side couch your legs still hang off the end of the cushions unless you sit on the street side and extend your legs on the side couch. I sit in the curb corner angled so my legs are fully on the cushions. With the table gone then there is no place to place drinks or snacks. We've tried a tray and it kinda works. When each person is watching from the dinette corners their head is next to one of the speakers so that is not ideal audio. Too bad AS couldn't put speakers in the ceiling. I'd prefer a small soundbar by the TV to listen to movies but can't find anything that can fit. Would love to find something that was the width of the TV and someway to attach it to the top of the TV.

There are posts on these forums showing members converting the dinette with reclining chairs and foldup tables. The rear dinette area of my 25fb is too small of an area to convert it to a U dinette due to the location of the door.

We will just live with it. Can't afford to switch over to the 28 model with the L lounge and separate dinette and we don't like the 6 sleeper rear bed arrangement. I've read a lot of posts from members saying the L lounge isn't that comfortable.

I though about remodeling the rear dinette with a couch and a foldup table from the street side wall but the furnace is located there.

We are planning to have the bedroom remodeled from a queen to twin beds with a night stand. I may install a TV into that room so we can watch movies together rather than watching movies in the living area. The nightstand can support our cups and snacks.

Kelvin
Old 09-25-2015, 09:19 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Adding dinette

I hear what you're saying about the positioning of the TV. We opted to go with a freestanding TV that sits on a console just in front and slightly below the front window (but about level with the table). This way it can be viewed by everyone sitting at the table, which works but isn't exactly super comfy. The other benefit of the TV being freestanding is that it can be moved and rotated so the kids can watch a movie when the dinette is turned into a bed. Broken down I believe the bed area is 55" x 80". A wall mounted TV in the rear bedroom for movies is a plus for us as well, and much more comfy.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:43 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Chilhowie , Virginia
Steve,
Thanks for the photo, we are looking for something a bit different. I am hoping to follow the curve of the front and add a long sofa.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:53 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Chilhowie , Virginia
Ok, stopped at Out Of Doors Mart today and they were just super about letting us take photos and measure. We have A LOT of pictures!! Lot's of measurements too. It is looking like it's a build project for us. The length of the sofa is too long for our space, so now we know where to start. If we could make ready made cushions work that would be great, but I guess time will tell.