Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2009, 08:37 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Accordion folding doors

In my 1976 Sovereign I have two accordion folding doors between the kitchen and the center bath/closet and rear bedroom. I would like to replace these with new ones. They are only a couple of feet wide. Anyone have a source for something like this.

Thanks

Don
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:01 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Don,
Have you tried Out Of Doors Mart, Vintage Trailer Supply, Or Inland RV???

They might have the parts you are looking for.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:15 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
I have a used one for sale. Got to:

Airstream Trailer & Airstream Motorhome Classifieds - Folding Bathroom Door - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds
FLYNCLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
It depends...

If you want to go vintage and authentic then I'd try Airstream part suppliers or classified ads like on this site. If you want to go cheap and easy, Home Depot and Lowe's sell these in different colors. That's what I did and it looks great.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Lynn and I made such a door for our '65 Caravel as the old one was hard and cracking. We just got the material to make a second one for the '83 Excella we just purchased.

You need four yards of fabric. We chose some to go with the interior colors.
The opening is about 30-32 inches, make the door 40-42m inches wide and 72" tall.

Fold the material double. The fold becomes the bottom of the door. Buy replacement slats for vertical blinds at Home Depot. They are 3 1/3 inches wide. Sew 3 3/4' pockets lengthwise in the material. Cut the slats to length. Slide one slat in each pocket. Be sure to cut the slats at the bottom end, leaving the hole at the top. We used 1" split key rings in every other section, put through the material on one dice, then througn the slat, and through the material on the other side. Then attached the split rings to the original hanging hardware.

We sewed pockets in each end of the door for the originad hardware from the old door.

You will also want hems folded inward at the top for finish.

This door folds flatter, will last longer, and looks much nicer than the original vinyl door. If it becomes soiled, simply take it down, remove the slats and hardware from the pockets, and throw it in the washer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P2233067640.jpg
Views:	1550
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	75002  
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
In my 1976 Sovereign I have two accordion folding doors between the kitchen and the center bath/closet and rear bedroom. I would like to replace these with new ones. They are only a couple of feet wide. Anyone have a source for something like this.

Thanks

Don
Home Depot has that type door.

However, they are typically taller, so you would have to cut it down.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Jim Foster
NOW THAT'S NEAT
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
Jim Foster
NOW THAT'S NEAT
Now.....If you want to get really fancy, get two different materials. One to match the room on one side and the other to match the room on the other side.

Let your imagination run...........
Old 02-03-2009, 04:01 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Thompsons Station , Tennessee
Jim- I will be honest, that gets my vote for the cool and super creative detail of the month! Very awesome idea that I am going to borrow!

Now I am just hoping that I kept the hardware that goes in that top track on my '67 Caravel.
modarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by modarch View Post
Jim- I will be honest, that gets my vote for the cool and super creative detail of the month! Very awesome idea that I am going to borrow!

Now I am just hoping that I kept the hardware that goes in that top track on my '67 Caravel.
If you didn't keep the plastic sliders that go in the track, they can be purchased at any number of RV parts stores. Or...........you can make them from small eye-bolts, with the nut close to the eye and the balance of the bolt cut off using a cutter which will mess up the threads so that the nut doesn't back off. One of my sliders was broken, so that is just what I did. I used it as the first one in line at the handle end. It will never break. That was five years ago.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:38 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
Lynn and I made such a door for our '65 Caravel as the old one was hard and cracking. We just got the material to make a second one for the '83 Excella we just purchased.

You need four yards of fabric. We chose some to go with the interior colors.
The opening is about 30-32 inches, make the door 40-42m inches wide and 72" tall.

Fold the material double. The fold becomes the bottom of the door. Buy replacement slats for vertical blinds at Home Depot. They are 3 1/3 inches wide. Sew 3 3/4' pockets lengthwise in the material. Cut the slats to length. Slide one slat in each pocket. Be sure to cut the slats at the bottom end, leaving the hole at the top. We used 1" split key rings in every other section, put through the material on one dice, then througn the slat, and through the material on the other side. Then attached the split rings to the original hanging hardware.

We sewed pockets in each end of the door for the originad hardware from the old door.

You will also want hems folded inward at the top for finish.

This door folds flatter, will last longer, and looks much nicer than the original vinyl door. If it becomes soiled, simply take it down, remove the slats and hardware from the pockets, and throw it in the washer.

Very well done!!!
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:54 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
screens

I also replaced the old vinyl also with unbrella fabric. There are several different weights and weaves available. Advantages of fabrics are ventilation and material folds closer to wall.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Airstream Dig 025 [800x600] [800x600].JPG
Views:	1142
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	75026  
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:20 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
I replaced mine with a "pleated folding door" made by United Shade Inc.. Very close to the original door and they are custom sized so you can fit any doorway. Very easy to install. Best price I found was at Camping World but a lot of dealers can order them.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:30 PM   #14
Klatawa (to travel)

1965 24' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Bremerton , Washington
We totaly gutted our 63 safari and using the original layout we used birch for all of the wood work. We originaly left the curtain but I replace the curtain with a three section sliding door. With the door partialy opened it acts as a head board for the gaucho. Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream 003.jpg
Views:	2707
Size:	325.9 KB
ID:	75035

Name:	airstream 005.jpg
Views:	2732
Size:	369.9 KB
ID:	75036
2015 Chev Silverado HC
Klatawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:14 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
That's one of the nicest mods I have seen--great job!
wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:23 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Thompsons Station , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klatawa View Post
We totaly gutted our 63 safari and using the original layout we used birch for all of the wood work. We originaly left the curtain but I replace the curtain with a three section sliding door. With the door partialy opened it acts as a head board for the gaucho. Attachment 75035

Attachment 75036
Klatawa- does the door slide back into a pocket? That is a good detail as well. Also- do you have a source for your door track? Did you custom make the door panels or did they come like that stock?
modarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:16 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
We replaced the door in our Argosy with a stock accordian door from Lowes by just cutting it to fit and using the old hardware to hang it. It's a little tricky, but you just keep adjusting until you get it. Remember that if you are using carpet runners on a wood floor, cut it so it clears the runner. Don't ask how I know this!
Old 02-04-2009, 12:22 PM   #18
Klatawa (to travel)

1965 24' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Bremerton , Washington
Modarch- The first door is fixed the next two doors have a wood flange on the back to catch each other when pulling them out or pushing them in. These are custom doors, I plane all of my material down to the thickness that I want. The slider unit is a commercial 48" unit that I cut down to size and fastend into the place that the original curtain was and made a front valance to cover the slide.
2015 Chev Silverado HC
Klatawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:04 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Klatawa,
That interior is absolutely beautiful!!! Nice work. Can we see what the outside of the trailer looks like??? I am sure it is just as nice as the inside.

I am trying to talk the Mrs. into a vintage unit, but she hates the old interiors. I bet I coult talk her into a vintage unit if I could find one like yours. I would like to attempt a remodel of a vintage unit, but with work and other commitments it would turn into a never ending project.

The other accordian doors are also inspired solutions.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:22 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Thumbs up 2 Nobel Prizes for Airstream Interior Item Upgrades

Wow some of you guys are so talented.

Jim Foster that is a real neat eyecatching creation.Wish you could post more pix. Closer up of fabric and also with door folded open etc.
Is the material upholstery weight? Would starching and pressing first make any difference or improvement in some fabrics?
Is there any need or advantage to sew in some weights at the bottom?
Are you the sewer or the wife?

Klatawa I had already saved pix of your interior this morning and am glad I opened this thread to learn more.
Beautiful work. When I first saw the pix float by above the portal I figured it was the newest 2009 model. I was staggered when I saw it was a 63 Safari custom job.
What is the "glass" in the doors?
If plastic is it cut from light diffuser screens? You know those drop in covers for flourescent fixtures in commercial settings.
Decorative plastic (maybe plexi) sheets like that were redily available in various textures and colors back in the 70's but are no longer produced that I can find. I think K-Lux was the prevalent brand name back then. Now defunct.

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote