Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2016, 09:03 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Lichfield , Staffs
71 SOV rear bath to front conversion

Hi all, Ive recently bought a 71 SOV to refurb and I would like to move the rear bathroom to the front and create a rear bedroom has anyone done this and got any advice please?

Do I have to move the black tank to the front presumably? and what other things do I have to think about?

Thanks

Tom
t0mmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:49 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Vicksburg , Mississippi
Tom,
Biggest thing is windows. Are they in the right place for new arrangement?
Toilet sits directly above black tank so yes, it will have to be moved.
In the center baths of the 31' the fresh water tank is in front of the axles the the grey tank behind axles then black tank behind grey.
Vents for holding tanks another issue you will have to change them.
Doable but unless you're completely rebuilding not very practical.
Al Boondy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 03:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Your A frame runs below the front frame to meet the regular frame rails. This makes any space under the floor for the front 4 feet essentially useless for putting tanks under there.

Additionally tanks that far forward can have a significant effect on your tongue weight if you ever have to travel with waste in them.

Also most parks are set up assuming sewer connections mid or rear trailer/rv so this could complicate connections, require long sewer hoses.

If you want to move it consider mid bath with above floor black tank possibility. Some sovereigns back then were made with mid baths and rear bedrooms. Google search for floor plans for ideas. Shower pans that go over the wheel wells are available.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:07 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Lichfield , Staffs
Heh guys thanks for the replies and useful info....I'm based in the UK and this project is something I'm planning to do to my SOV and it's going to be a almost static trailer well it will be actually once completed!

As for the walls as windows yeah I know what you mean but I've seen it done on the Internet with a few SOVs but there was limited info on them so thought I'd ask on here.

I've got a 34 limited I'm just refreshing to live in permanently this SOV will be in addition and join me on the site I'm going to be based on over here to rent out and stuff!

Thanks again guys!!!!!
t0mmie is offline   Reply With Quote