Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-22-2006, 06:16 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Exclamation 65 Tradewind Bath Remodel

Ok,

It is time to start contemplating the remodel of my 65 TW's bathroom. From the pics, you can see that the only remaining pieces are the tub, and the linen cabinet frame. I value all comments on this thread so please feel free to drop any thoughts.

My idea

My current idea is to keep the linen cabinet on the streetside for storage and add some cabinet faces . I am also thinking about making a similar cabinet on the curbside where the curent tub is, and perhaps have a small sink in it. If the sink idea won't work I will just have a waterless hand sanitizer dispenser instead. The toilet will be centered on the window still, but I found this shower pan, and thought about using it for a wetbath. I would have an "above the subfloor" holding tank (How many out there are groaning?), but the rear access hatch would open and allow for the draining of the waste. I know Carlos Ferguson did this in his Safari and he hasn't reported any problems yet.

Again, I will entertain all thoughts on the subject so I can get this rig back on the road.

Thanks,

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 003.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	30021   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 004.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	30022  

Name:	Picture 005.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	30023   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 006.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	30024  

soldiermedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 06:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
One more pic

The actual winder area
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 007.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	30025  
Old 12-22-2006, 08:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Hey Steve, I'm no expert on renovation and just playing devil's advocate here. One thing that crosses my mind is weight distribution. The toilet and holding tanks on these vintage units are usually either streetside or curbside, not center. Could there have been a rationale for this based on frame design and engineering? Someone with a better knowledge base please feel free to chime in.
And hey, if the above floor BW tank works for Carlos, it should work for you.

I do see what you mean about that A/C. It will have to go.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Hey Dacia,

As funny as it sounds, I have yet to look under it to see where the old waste tank was hung. I only thought center due to the rationale. My plans for a centermass toilet/tank should be balanced out on the sides by the cabinets. Can you post a pic of your tw bath so I can compare? I did goto the VAS archive, but there are many options on there, so I want to compare.

Many people are reading but not posting.....maybe this will work.

*Please leave a message after the beep*

BEEP!

Steve
Old 12-22-2006, 09:02 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

black tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic

BEEP!

Steve

Hi Steve -

It's my sense that the stock black water tank was often above the floor for these old trailers - at least it was in mine... I think your idea would be fine, I thought about one of those pre-fab units as well, what will you use for the walls that will overlap that bottom pan and allow the water to run off the walls? Just a shower curtain might work, my trailer had some masonite with a kind of plastic/paint treatment on one side, I think I have seen this stuff at home centers, or there is thin plastic board you can buy in sheets and could rivet it to the wall, join the edges with a fillet of sealant. I think this could look pretty good.

As far as that dump valve being accessed from the rear hatch, I was thinking of something similar early on. The two problems I see are that it is really nice to have that dump valve Outside The Trailer, for some obvious reasons. The tank itself being inside causes no problems, but having the exit outside would eliminate some potential problems. I imagine a little spill inside would be hard to get rid of. There always seems to be a tiny bit of extra around when you are done dumping. the other problem is gravity - the valve on that built in black tank/shower pan that you linked to looks to be on the bottom and you would either need a different tank with a side exit or need to elevate the tank so that you could put a 90 degree bend in there. The advantage is less worry about freezing, but as that isn't too much of a concern for you, I would just put a hole through your floor and put the dump works under the belly. All of my works fit in the 4" down there, the valve, tubing, macerator, and a quick release fitting so I can attach a garden hose and pump the sewage where ever I like. The only think visible beneath my trailer is the quick release fitting and a button to activate the macerator (with a failsafe switch inside so that macerator won't turn on unless the failsafe is switched.) This has been great so far, no need for a dump station, I just pump it into a toilet.

As far as the weight goes, my tank was about 12-14 gallons and in the back there, I would think the more centered the better actually...
jcferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 09:07 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

The holding tank on the '65 Tradewind is located in the center between the frame members and directly under the bathroom floor. There is room between the frame crossmembers to install a slightly larger tank if you have need for a larger tank. I installed a 26 gallon grey/black combination tank in my '65 Tradewind which worked out very well since the fresh water tank held about 27 gallons. When the fresh water tank was empty, the holding tank needed dumping. Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 09:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 16' Bambi
Glad your getting some replies now from people that know. I've learned something too. Ferguson is right. My holding tank does sit above the subfloor. As requested here are shots of my bath. The only thing I've done since these pics is replace the shower head with a vintage design and the plastic toilet with a Sealand china. I know the bath layout and design changed at some point, 1962 or 63 maybe? The mirrored door to the right of the sink is a wardrobe.

Name:	DSCN3986.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	30037 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4283.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	30038 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4285.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	30039 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4286.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	30040
I looked at the shower pan you found. Looks like the area to stand in is much smaller than what I have. If you go that route you would probably have space for extra cabinets.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Dacia

looking at your sliding mirror doors on the overhead reminds me of how ours somehow came out on the drive home after purchase and of course smashed everywhere .Lily came up with the idea to make some stained glass accents to the new mirrors and it came out great .Matches the color design we have
or the original color (coral pink kinda ) I forgot that until I saw your photos.

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 05:53 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 16' Bambi
Scott, I'll have to remember that trick if mine ever need replacing. Sorry you lost yours so soon after purchase. But it sounds like all is well.
Old 12-23-2006, 06:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Dacia,

Your trailer looks to be in TOP condition inside. I suppose I could do something like you have there, but making a side wetbat bay be tricky with the curves. We shall see what others post.

Steve
Old 12-24-2006, 12:59 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 16' Bambi
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic
Dacia, Your trailer looks to be in TOP condition inside. . . .Steve
Thanks Steve, I was fortunate and very blessed. I have a couple of wonderful PO's to thank for that.