Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2015, 11:48 AM   #1
Gazoo!

1963 19' Globetrotter
Denver , Colorado
'63 Globetrotter Restoration project

Hello all,
Certainly appreciate these forums as they always provide a plethora of information and subject matter experts for what seems like ANY issue or situation that someone encounters! That being said I am looking to "Restore" my GB and not "remodel" it. And so my question is two-fold;
1) is it "cheating" if I wanted to replace my current rear bath enclosure (Tub & Shower layout) with another vintage rear bath (sink/shower/toilet) enclosure layout as shown here? http://www.airstream.com/wp-content/...8ccb779d21.pdf

2) I've searched in classifieds for this particular enclosure with no luck and wondered if anyone would know whom to turn to for acquiring this molded enclosure? Notwithstanding my ability to actually get it in the door sideways and in place, as I'm sure that task would present its challenges, although I think doable?

Thanks in advance of any information/support.
Michael
Sweneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome to the vintage Airstream hobby. You're getting ready for some serious work restoring your old Globetrotter. I certainly understand you wanting a slight upgrade in the rear bath. I think the 68 models had even a better bath layout.

I suspect so many of these old trailers either have a good bath where the owner doesn't want to part with it, or have a "gutted" bath where the removal tool of choice is a saws all. Finding decent old parts from a 65 will take some time. Posting in the classifieds "wanted" section might lead you something. Colorado is a good Airstream state with many active Airstreamers.

Here is a photo of my 66 Trade Wind bath. It was mainly molded fiberglass which was quite durable. The sink was ABS maybe thermo formed, I don't know. The design of having the sink mounted over the tub/shower was rather novel. The 68 baths added the pocket door which saves a bunch of room, and they don't have the hidden toilet.

I suspect most folks would not recognize a 63 trailer had a 65 bath transplant. Only the purists would question it.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1309 Bath Sink.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	234064  
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:26 AM   #3
Gazoo!

1963 19' Globetrotter
Denver , Colorado
'63 Globetrotter Restoration Project

David,
Thanks for reply and suggestion. I will post in the wanted section. I'll also contact some restoration facilities as I've seen photos (before/after) where they've taken out entire bathroom unit. If I could get at least the sink unit that you have over the tub, I could live with that. Trouble is finding one!

Thanks again,
Sweneau
Old 03-13-2015, 10:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I bet you can find the ABS plastic sink for these old trailers. You might find the whole set.

The trouble is the old faucets are usually rusted tight at their connections. Same with the drain connections. The plastic parts get damaged when trying to get the plumbing apart. Mine were stuck real tight, and since I was not planning on reusing them, hack, hack!

Keep reading restoration threads to get ideas. Some of these guys have designed and built some very nice bathrooms in the 60s style, but better than the original.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 02:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Put a brief description of what you need in your signature, then every time you post, that is posted as well, so you get maximum exposure of your need.

I did that when I needed a complete '62 bathroom for our FC, and it worked: someone saw my note and put me in touch with a person gutting and replacing his bathroom. And the person was generous enough to give us the parts--we picked them up on our way home from an out-of-state trip--and so we have our needed bathroom parts!

The forum is spectacular that way: good folks! And just keep checking and searching for bathroom parts so that those who are getting rid of can connect with you. I wish you the best of luck!

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 05:41 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Olney , Texas
I wish we were closer to you. We bought a '63 Globetrotter which was totally gutted and all the parts (tub, sinks, appliances, etc.) were stored inside it. We aren't going to restore it to original - instead hubby is making it into a portable radio shack so he can take it to disaster areas for communications assistance. We have no use for the excess items which are stored in the barn.
TXHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:26 AM   #7
Gazoo!

1963 19' Globetrotter
Denver , Colorado
Need '63 ~'68 GB Bathroom Fiberglass Enclosure

Hello Mesquite!
I don't know where you are located, but would certainly entertain the option of paying for you to ship some items?

Would you have some photos of what you have? I am looking for the bathroom sink to add to my Tub&Shower. Is yours a Tub/Shower combo or sink/shower stall/toilet layout? Appreciate any photos you may have. I know it won't be pretty (even sitting in your barn).

Thanks!
Michael
Old 10-27-2020, 01:43 PM   #8

1963 19' Globetrotter
manitou springs , Colorado
Bathtub - 1963 globetrotter

I have a bathtub from a 1963 globetrotter that I pulled out. Anyone in need of one?
manitoumike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 07:54 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Fort Collins , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitoumike View Post
I have a bathtub from a 1963 globetrotter that I pulled out. Anyone in need of one?
Hello,
The bathtub in my 1963 GT is in pretty bad shape. If yours in good condition, I'd be interested.
Thanks,
Chris
aquilachrys is offline   Reply With Quote