Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2013, 04:17 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
34' Tiki Hut

Hi Gang!

I would like to redo the interior of my triple axle. I want to make it like a Tiki shack.

I did a search on here for Tiki, but didn't find too much useful info.

Being an engineer, and not an interior designer, I was hoping you all could give me some interior design guidance

I was thinking of covering the floor with a floating laminate that would look like bamboo. Maybe getting new curtains made that look kind of like a thatch roof. Then reupholstering all the seating areas with a "Tiki Looking" fabric.

I did find one Airstream doing a Google search that was made up like a Tiki hut, but he really went all out. He redid the ceiling and the walls. I wasn't thinking of going quite that far. As well, I want to leave the outside looking stock.

I think I've got a silver trailer book where a guy made it look like a Tiki hut. Not sure if it was an Airstream or a silver sister (for some reason I'm thinking it was a Streamline....but I have to dig it up).

I already bought a nice looking honey oak laminate floating floor for it, but haven't installed it yet. I really like the idea of the jungle shack

Anyway, any interior design input would be welcome!

See ya on the road!
Old 04-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I think "str8strm" might have what you want, but in a Classic Motorhome.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Will you do treatments on the cabinetry? Inserts within standing molding easily removed comes to mind. Etc.

Think accent over all else. Pillows, rugs, some decorating accessories and artwork. Batik prints, for example. There is some beautiful stuff from out of Asia . . "tiki" is just a final touch.

Lighting, for emphasis. I think of "tiki" as being "the bar is now open, and the smoking lamp is on". A mood more than anything else.

I'd be careful about curtain or upholstery patterns too obviously camp . . one can get too far out, too fast (is the thinking).

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
I'll see if I can find some pictures or str8stream's motorhome. Thanks for that!

I hadn't really thought about modding the cabinets too much, Slowmover. I was thinking of maybe refinishing them and changing the door knobs, but nothing too crazy.

You make a good point about not overdoing it. The one Airstream I found pictures of on google, the gent did get a little carried away with it...at least for what I want personally. His almost put me in mind of a theme park. His colors were super bright.

I was thinking more of a beach shack. Like you said, "The Bar is Open."

Well, I'll keep plugging on it. Trailer is 100% usable and ready to go as is. Just the upholstery is the original 1987 mauve and the cabinets, while real hardwood and a nice color, could use a sanding and refinishing. The door pulls are a bit dated looking as well. But, I would like to do a beach theme.

I liked those Airstreams they made five years ago or so that had the nautical theme...I forget what they called them, but they had the interior done in blue and white with a porthole looking window to the bathroom door.

see ya,
Old 04-22-2013, 06:11 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
charleton , Illinois
No offence, but why? You'll hurt the resale. Just get the cheezyest Tiki lights you can find and hang them from the awning. When you grow tired of them, look for different lights.
jerry d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
I agree that resale is a concern, but I think your look could be safely done with slip covers on the cushions, and saving the original drapes. The bamboo floor probably wouldn't be too crazy. Maybe you could find some wicker-print contact paper to put over cabinet door panels, which could be removed later if needed.

Actual modifications needed could be limited if you had the right props. Cups that look like coconuts or pineapples for example. You will need to serve the appropriate beverages in those complete with the paper umbrellas. Maybe place a few tiki statues around. A coconut bra hanging over the shower curtain rod...

Have fun,
Christopher
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:59 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Resale?

Hi, speaking for myself, I decorated and remodeled my trailer for our enjoyment, and we're not too concerned about resale. I may sell it some day, keep it forever, or give it to a family member.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:11 PM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Maybe you could find some wicker-print contact paper to put over cabinet door panels, which could be removed later if needed.

JG, this is more of what I had in mind. "Fabric panels" to impart a theme that were easily removed at a later time.

I look forward to your cabinet work. We do share, with our Vintage Kin TT's a heck of a lot of wood central to the appeal. My newest is in need of some clean & re-finish (quarter-sawn oak) and has no exterior pulls (recessed), but I'll take inspiration as I find it.

May I also recommend looking over Sailboat and Powerboat interiors? One needn't re-invent the wheel if some rich guy has already had a designer do similar to what you are proposing. Think "Tahiti", "Bali" and other exotic South Pacific locales.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Our '86 34' Ltd needs new curtains and at least slipcovers, if not reupholstering, and since we have named it the "Clipper", we have chosen a nautical theme. The curtains will be white (kinda scary, but washable) and the slipcovers dark navy with white welting/cording in the cushion seams.

This is a kind of dignified, nautical approach appropriate for a landyacht, we thought, and this would work for your Tiki-look if you add the tiki-lights, some hula-girl pillows, grass-fabric pillows, drape some leis over the mirror or elsewhere (over curtains? Tie on lower fridge handle?), other tiki props scattered around, and would keep your wood nice and the fabric reasonable in case of resale.

Might not be as crazy-tiki as you were thinking of, but could be easier on the eyes over time and would be easy to change out if you get tired of it.

Please reconsider EVER putting that blasted contact paper on anything. It makes such a mess and I have never successfully gotten it off again without more effort than it would take to polish an exterior to a mirror finish. The paper, or the removal effort, will also damage your wood. Anyway, good luck, and post some pics!

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Thanks for the ideas guys! I'm leaning toward Slowmover and Landshark's ideas.

I'm not super worried about resale, but I don't want to do something tacky. I like the idea of styling it after a classic yacht, and then adding the tiki embellishments.

I guess I should say that I have a triple axle Avion, and not an Airstream. One nice thing about Avion is that they did put really nice cabinetry in them. The biggest problem with mine was the previous owner, who just didn't take very good care of them. They have a bunch of fine scratches and just wear from the years. They don't need replaced, but a light sanding and a restaining and varnish would really bring them back to life. Heck, some of them even have real stained glass insert panels.

The same PO also put his cigarettes out on the pile carpeting, so it was burnt up pretty ugly. I've since thrown the carpet out, and they do have linoleum underneath, but it's a very utilitarian looking stuff (the deep carpet over it would have been beautiful when new, but not so beautiful with 100 Marlboro burns in it).

I've got a nice looking light oak laminate floating floor already that I was going to put over it. I still may, as I already have it. Just would like to spruce it up a bit, and I like the beach shack idea.

Probably just a nice clean up and refinish of the cabinets, a new floating floor of some type, and then the coco nuts and hula girl motifs and it'd be the Tiki Shack on wheels!

May take me awhile, as the coach is usable now as-is and camping season approaches But I do want to spiff it up a little bit.

See ya,
Old 04-23-2013, 11:27 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Tacky and Tiki are a lot closer than Tiki and Classy. I guess you could do Classic Tiki.

I think the TIKI is much more fun than a Classic High end Yacht, a lot cheaper and easier.

Here is a good link.
Forum Index -- Tiki Central

Post pictures when you start, sounds like so much fun.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:57 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Now THAT'S funny! Had me laughing out loud

Yeah, my silver tube is a 1987 model. She isn't going to bring $100K no matter what I do. I want to decorate it to suit us.

I need a new awning, and that is going to cost way more than any cabinet resto or Tiki decor
Old 04-23-2013, 04:33 PM   #13
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Yeah, I agree about the awnings cost. I like to work with existing decor so far as color is concerned, and the awning color & pattern is a really big deal. The interior of this TT is wood with either faint blue or brown accent on the wallcover. Imagine my surprise when I went to open the awnings (all of them) and the "predominant" reddish/black over off-white (kinda). IOW, nothing like the interior.

Working with "existing" could get expensive depending on direction taken from here. How much I "like" red is a little beside the point (given that the awnings are like new). At least I know what color selections for the interior now make more sense.

Sounds to me like your plan is in hand once some examples are found. I am looking forward to your cabinet re-do. I haven't decided the scope for mine (clean, yeah, sand , uhmmmmm . . . . ) so getting a grasp on how others are doing it is a big deal.