Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2021, 06:29 PM   #1
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
30' International -RBQ to King Conversion

We have an amazing 2017 30' International that we continue to "tweak".

Our only dislike at this stage are the wardrobes in the rear next to the bed. They feel somewhat claustrophobic when sleeping and we rarely store anything in them. we are not huge people but we do also enjoy the space a king affords one to "sprawl out".

My plan is to remove the wardrobes and convert the North-South Queen into an East-West King.

My understanding is that one of the challenges with a twin conversion is that there is no walk around space which can make getting in/out of bed a little trickier. After some careful measuring I was happy to determine that we can conserve the existing walk around space allowing access to the end of the king for (somewhat) easier entry / exit vs climbing over the other person via the hallway opening.

This design would also allow me to preserve under bed storage with a larger flip-up surface I would fabricate (current queen flips up on a hinge to provide access underneath. So we will still have a place for clothes, laundry and all of our lithium power equipment.

I also plan to re-purpose the wardrobes, cut then down (reduce height and size) and deploy as night stands by adding a counter top. Only bummer is that one of the nightstands would be at the foot of the bed. I guess you can't have it all...

This design will require a custom mattress to accommodate the radius corner of the trailer street side. It will also provide a much larger "lounging" area when not sleeping which is appealing too. We have also already removed the TV so viewing angle is not a concern...

I am on the fence on keeping the overhead locker in the back. We don't keep that much stuff in it. One side of me says remove it and provide a more open feeling space. they other says keep it, and build some extension shelves that extend the locker to each rear corner of the trailer.

Putting this out there for feedback and advice. What am I missing in my thought process here? Open to other suggestions and feedback....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream-30_king_bed.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	403553   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS2.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	403554  

Name:	AS3.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	403555   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2829.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	403557  

wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 06:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
I don't get it - if you're not huge then why would you need a king size bed? Small corner beds a hard to make - a king size corner will be really hard! Climbing out the end is also a nix for me - I don't want to be the one that can't sit up, swing my legs out and get up. I use the space in my shirt closets and added shelves below them so that I can store folded clothing there. None of what you're considering makes sense to me but to each his own.
Old 09-06-2021, 09:26 PM   #3
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Heya. Appreciate the feedback and your point of view. Definitely not for everyone... My wife and I just love to sprawl out I guess. We also have two 70lb dogs that like to come on the bed too.

I would be the one sleeping by the rear wall.. I kinda have to fidget to get out of bed as it is given the depth of the wardrobes. My wife would win the prize of just hopping out into the hallway

I hear you regarding making the bed. We had a rear corner bed on our 25SS, it was a bit of a pain but doable. With this approach we would have 3 corners of the mattress accessible so that would help a little I think.
Old 09-06-2021, 09:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, before you start to remove the overhead storage compartment, You better find out how it was installed. When I toured the factory, I saw a roof cabinet on the floor ready to be installed. It was screwed [many screws] to the cabinet from the back side of the aluminum end cap panel. So the cabinet was screwed to the aluminum panel and then the panel was installed in place inside of the trailer.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 09:55 PM   #5
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Thanks for the pro tip. I am actually headed out to JC in 2 weeks. they will be fixing a broken elevator bolt on the rear end, so they will likely be needing to remove all the furniture anyways. We shall see. Maybe I am dreaming here

In thinking about the walk around space, maybe there will be enough room to orient the mattress north south... I'd need to go back and measure. not sure if there would be enough room to squeeze by... This is how they did a limited number of classics in or around 2008 I believe..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	airstream-30_king_bed2.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	403561  
Old 09-06-2021, 10:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Thanks for the pro tip. I am actually headed out to JC in 2 weeks. they will be fixing a broken elevator bolt on the rear end, so they will likely be needing to remove all the furniture anyways. We shall see. Maybe I am dreaming here

In thinking about the walk around space, maybe there will be enough room to orient the mattress north south... I'd need to go back and measure. not sure if there would be enough room to squeeze by... This is how they did a limited number of classics in or around 2008 I believe..
Hi, yes, this is the way I would think the bed should be. Corner beds are hard enough to make up, let alone reaching across a king bed.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 11:34 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Does the over-the-bed cabinet provide any support to the end frame of the trailer?
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 11:54 AM   #8
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
I don't believe so. I believe cabinets / furniture are cosmetic only and not structural. I have seen an instance where they have been removed before...
Old 09-07-2021, 12:42 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
We had a different trailer that had a king bed that required you to crawl to the end. It's possibly worse that vaulting over the other sleeper because it requires you to crawl out of the bedding at the top, then shimmy down to the bottom on top of the bedding. Getting back is simply reversed, crawl up to your pillows and then unfold back into the bed. Eventually I gave up on the contortions and simply asked my husband to get up so I could get out or I'd just do the vault, he couldn't crawl at all so he never got the stuck to the wall position (6'5" and he far prefers the King for sleeping...but...).

Age does make a big difference, we are just too old to enjoy that type of challenge. I'd happily take a smaller bed to avoid the "everybody out of the bed" nonsense and so did he.
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 01:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Your plan sounds intriguing and thought out.

Seems the wardrobes are coming our regardless. How about taking them out first and seeing how that feels. That would vastly improve the more open feeling. Then you could cardboard mock up the increase to a "real" queen bed of 60x80 and the potential nightstands to see if that improves. Then move the bed size up from there and rotate the mock ups into different positions.

That will give you a good idea of the new layouts pros and cons. Once decided on best new set up then take the existing bed out.

I agree climbing over is annoying and scootshing down to the end is also annoying but part of it. Only thing that solves that is twins which presents different challenges.

I can see no reason to remove the foot locker unless it totally annoys you. Removing it would certainly often the space visually. It certainly must be good for some storage, towels, sheets, warm pajamas, or some soft goods.

Your diagrams and photos added a nice visual to your question.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 03:58 PM   #11
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Appreciate all the feedback and advice.

I am definitely thinking that wardrobes go first, and then see how that opens up the space. Can make some decisions from there.
Old 09-07-2021, 06:52 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
I realize you want a larger bed, but what about turning around in the bed. Head at the foot and feet at the head. Might eliminate the closed in feeling.
Streamracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 08:21 PM   #13
Iron tepee #35

1993 34' Excella
andalusia , Illinois
We have a 1993 excella 34’ I removed the twins and put in a king bed.
We love it this way. Yes, we slide off the end to get out of bed but, is that really that hard?
mikeoxlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 09:13 PM   #14
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeoxlong;
We have a 1993 excella 34’ I removed the twins and put in a king bed.

We love it this way. Yes, we slide off the end to get out of bed but, is that really that hard?

May I ask which way you oriented the bed?
Old 09-08-2021, 07:41 AM   #15
Iron tepee #35

1993 34' Excella
andalusia , Illinois
I removed the twins and installed a king ( head of the bed at the rear of the trailer.
Yes, we crawl on and slide off the end of the bed. No big deal for us.
Old 09-08-2021, 07:55 AM   #16
Iron tepee #35

1993 34' Excella
andalusia , Illinois

Name:	EEDE79D4-C21D-4366-9F0C-4A87159FB3F8.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	320.9 KB
ID:	403648