Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-26-2016, 09:58 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Santa Barbara , California
2016 Classic 30 bathroom mirror detachment

Our new (built Feb, 2016) Classic had its bathroom mirror come loose (after an admittedly bouncing section of I-405 northbound from LAX to the I-10). What amazed me was the use of double-stick foam tape to secure this fragile glass fixture. Thankfully all that happened was that it was found with one side sagged to the countertop when we stopped at the Supulveda Basin for a rest stop. I notice that the bathroom door's mirror is securely mounted with a cherry wood trim . . . so why not the interior mirror, too? There are two straight sides to the mirror so it should be easy. Just wondering aloud. Will be visiting the dealer soon for repair. Otherwise very happy with our Classic and impressed with the forthcoming 2017 improvements too, although we'll stick with our present trailer.
dmslawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 10:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
You may want to add something more secure with screws. We put our bathroom mirror on with tape intended for the purpose a few years ago and it stays there. Note there are different qualities and strength of these tapes, we picked the strongest.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmslawson View Post
Our new (built Feb, 2016) Classic had its bathroom mirror come loose (after an admittedly bouncing section of I-405 northbound from LAX to the I-10). What amazed me was the use of double-stick foam tape to secure this fragile glass fixture. Thankfully all that happened was that it was found with one side sagged to the countertop when we stopped at the Supulveda Basin for a rest stop. I notice that the bathroom door's mirror is securely mounted with a cherry wood trim . . . so why not the interior mirror, too? There are two straight sides to the mirror so it should be easy. Just wondering aloud. Will be visiting the dealer soon for repair. Otherwise very happy with our Classic and impressed with the forthcoming 2017 improvements too, although we'll stick with our present trailer.
We solved the mirror falling issue before it occurred by in our 2016 Classic by having a custom support board made for the bottom edge and adding mirror clips on the other three sides. The support board was made by Roettger Hardwood of Kettlersville, OH (13 miles from Jackson Center). They are the maker of the cherry cabinets in our 2016 Classic, so the board was a perfect match on color and finish (we asked for a waterproof finish because of the proximity to the sink). The board is attached via 4 brown headed screws we drilled thru the wall from the bedroom. The brown screw heads blend in with the wall color pretty nicely and with ours being a twin bed model, three of the screw heads are actually under the hanging closet and can only be seen by sticking your head under the closet.

We found the 3/16" mirror clips were the best fit, but had to buy them on-line as local stores only had 1/8" or 1/4" mirror clips.

P.S. In the mirror reflection, you can also see the towel ring we added (which matches the towel bar behind the toilet) with means we now can wipe our hands without dripping water all the way to a towel behind the toilet. You can also see the dimmer I installed in place of the original light switch so that the bathroom lights are not blinding in the middle of the night. The battery powered candle you see serves as our night light in the bathroom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mirror Support.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	263782   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mirror Support Close Up.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	263783  

WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote