Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1959 28' Ambassador
Carmi , Illinois
1959 28' Ambassador Renovation

Hello all. I am new to Airstream ownership and renovation. While I am an electrician by trade and somewhat handy. Travel trailer renovation is a whole new ball game to me. My trailer is in fair condition. The exterior has minor defects that can be repaired fairly easily. I plan on starting on the interior this fall and hope to be ready to work on exterior in the spring. The interior will need to be gutted and replaced. Does anyone have advice on where to begin the process? I plan on pulling everything out and surveying the condition of floor, walls, electrical, and plumbing. What do I need to watch for? In what order would I start my reno and what are some of the main issues that I may encounter? I'm sure ill have tons of questions and I appreciate any feedback.
Thanks.
JBigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Northern VT , Vermont
Just saw your post. Starting w/a '59 /28 is starting at the top! Generally the interiors were loaded from the rear forward, so you disassemble from the front back. Take pics and measurments to locate or relocate 12v & 110v, fresh and drain water when you rebuild. Drill out enough pop rivets around the interior at floor level to lift the interior skins so you can check the floor perimeter & U channel for rot. Unzip enough belly pan to inspect the frame, X members & outriggers. A '59 ambassador is a sweet find. I'd encourage you to do a body off full rebuild.
putback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:04 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1959 28' Ambassador
Carmi , Illinois
Thanks for your feedback. I began a couple weeks ago by removing the interior and mapping electrical and plumbing. I'm starting to wonder if I bit off more than I can chew. I've got quite the mess on my hands and really don't know where to start. I'm always up to a challenge though OK, so let me give you a run down of my findings. The subfloor is rotted throughout. The plumbing, including fresh water tank will need replaced. The wiring has been rigged. I'm not really sure what I will find with the original wiring until I do a point to point check. I could be looking at pulling the interior skin completely. Ok, so with all the doom and gloom. What do ya think now?
Old 09-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBigg View Post
Thanks for your feedback. I began a couple weeks ago by removing the interior and mapping electrical and plumbing. I'm starting to wonder if I bit off more than I can chew. I've got quite the mess on my hands and really don't know where to start. I'm always up to a challenge though OK, so let me give you a run down of my findings. The subfloor is rotted throughout. The plumbing, including fresh water tank will need replaced. The wiring has been rigged. I'm not really sure what I will find with the original wiring until I do a point to point check. I could be looking at pulling the interior skin completely. Ok, so with all the doom and gloom. What do ya think now?
Sounds like a big project. I did a complete reno of my '59 Overlander and had to replace the entire floor. We gutted it and pulled the shell. You can keep the shell on while replacing the floor if you do not have a place to store it, but it can be tricky working the new plywood in with the shell on. If you decide to stick with it (no shame in turning away from such a huge project), I'd suggest starting by removing all the interior skins to give you access to all the wiring (12v and 110v) and replace that from scratch. As an electrician, you may not like some of the original wiring you are about to uncover. It is typically just wire nutted together between the skins without any boxes. Pulling the interior skins will also give you sufficient access to the c-chanel around the perimiter so you can properly replace the floor. You will also have to remove or at least pull back much of the belly pan to properly bolt in the new plywood sheets. Before pulling any of the plywood or drilling any of the exterior rivits to let the belly pan down, make yourself a good template of the shell.

Lots of threads here on how to do a shell-on or shell-off floor replacement. It typically takes several months to get the thing put back together. Removing the floor often reveals lots of frame rust and leads to other work that should be done before replacing the floor.

Norm
Old 09-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Northern VT , Vermont
What I think ?? A 1959 Ambassador is probably a once in a lifetime find. If you have a good straight body, door, and window frames that's about the best you can hope for. The floor should be rotten, the insulation filthy with rodent remains and mold and the frame in need of at least minor repair. Take it down to the bare frame and rebuild. Fact is for a blue collar tradesman you'll find it really isn't that difficult once you dig in. In the end you'll have a rock solid coach, dependable, and exactly the way you want it. When complete should you decide you'd rather not have it you won't have to do the for sale routine. More of a would sell attitude!!!
putback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
I only have a caravel but I say that you can do it make it your own and then post some pictures please. Oh yes welcome and the only thing you will not need to buy is self dought but if you need some I still have plenty!
Cliff
Old 09-18-2013, 08:14 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1959 28' Ambassador
Carmi , Illinois
Thanks for the pep talk fellas. I was a little overwhelmed when I surveyed the trailer during the gutting process. Since then I've done a little research and found that there's nothing there that I haven't done before. It's just in a different package. It's gonna be a lot like eating an elephant. I'll just have to learn a little with each bite 👍
Old 09-19-2013, 12:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
If you cook it right and use a LOT of hot sauce and I mean really hot then I agree and I have some paper plates!!! As for the air stream you got it go for it!
Cliff

Tags