Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2015, 09:02 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Jasper , Texas
We looked at it . . . . . I never have before seen a trailer in such sorry condition

On a positive Airstream related note, my coworker has a very cool Airstream Sprinter we rode in on our trip and that was a lot of fun.
alexj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:12 PM   #22
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Would an older Airstream be okay for me? Full time, stationary, non park

AVION and Silver Streak are better made. Will be cheaper as less well known and will need less as well. As above, it all comes down to condition.

My summer electricity bill runs $100-120 at .11KwH in my 35' Silver Streak in Corpus Christi. 15k single AC, 70-pint dehumidifier. 73F at 40% humidity.

A Dyson Hot/Cool heater makes winter easy used in conjunction with furnace.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:57 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexj View Post
We looked at it . . . . . I never have before seen a trailer in such sorry condition

On a positive Airstream related note, my coworker has a very cool Airstream Sprinter we rode in on our trip and that was a lot of fun.
Was this the "Squarestream" in Pinehurst?

Well, if you keep looking you will definitely find vintage trailers in sorrier condition. The fact is that any trailer, of any age (Airstream or otherwise) can/will leak, and that is just the beginning of the downward spiral. It helps if the trailer has spent its entire life garaged/covered, and has been meticulously maintained, but 99.9% of them don't fit this description. If you want to save yourself some time kicking tires, you might focus on the trailers that have already had work done to restore them.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 02:01 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
EVERYTHING works in the Avion I bought for $9K - and I can and will splurge on the ugly dated interior - but if I were on a budget I could get it looking acceptable for under a grand, or much less since I can sew my own curtains.

You are also located in Texas - which I overlooked in your first post. There are two Airstream ONLY parks in Texas - where many have retired. Some people travel and home base in one of these two, others park them and stay... AND build roofs or companion buildings over/around them. I've never been to an Airstream only park that didn't have at least two to five trailers for sale as the owners age out of Airstreaming.

Those parks are your happy hunting grounds if you MUST have an Airstream, but you'll kick yourself later if you overlook an Avion or Silver Streak that might be available. I know you've already seen an Argosy and are aware of the Squarestream - so you know the pool may be deeper than you expected it to be.

Use google to find the Airstream only parks. Hope one is very close.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:17 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Jasper , Texas
I'm not absolutely set on an Airstream, I do think they are cool though. I'm mostly set on 'the roof is unlikely to come down on top of me in the next couple years'. My current trailer does not meet this requirement so it is time to go shopping (my mechanic suggests 'in the next few months' as being a good timeline)

Aistreams (and also the Avions and Silver Streaks) are epicly cool, and I'm a sucker for cool things (why I am driving around a long in the tooth Volvo instead of something that local mechanics actually willing to work). So I think as long as I am shopping for a trailer I should shop for a cool trailer (as opposed to my current trailer, where I discovered I needed a trailer yesterday and bought the first one I could find without a clue what I was doing), since if I'm going to live in it I want something I am excited to live in.

My mechanic thinks my situation is best served by a Katrina special park model Cavalier but . . . ugh. I don't want a Katrina special park model Cavalier.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:53 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Ironically, the longer used ones are typically cheaper than the shorter ones. Look at 31 ft, 32 ft, and 34 ft models.

And if it's going to sit stationary, one with Sag/Separation could probably be bought for super cheap,but it wouldn't matter if it's stationary. I bought one that had both for $2K and that was a '77 Excella 500 31 footer.

These trailers are not insulated very well....but if you buy it cheaply enough, put a woodstove in it and have fun
Old 08-07-2015, 08:15 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
I wasn't aware some Argosys had aluminum subfloors. They really did experiment with the argosys !. What years were these ?
timhortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:41 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by timhortons View Post
I wasn't aware some Argosys had aluminum subfloors. They really did experiment with the argosys !. What years were these ?
I am not certain, but I believe only the late "Airstream shape" 77-78's in the Minuet series used them, and then not all of them. Like everything else Argosy, there were a lot of things tried out. As I recall, they also reduced the number of frame cross beams, and the aluminum honeycomb floor tended to sag.

The Argosy name was re used on the "squarestream" looking box type trailers of the late 80's. They tended to leak and rot and it is not easy to find one which was covered and maintained well. They were rare to begin with. I don't believe any of those had the aluminum honeycomb floor either.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:35 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
to the OP ... anecdotally ... according to my dealer and what I've heard at the rallies, the 80s excellas have a reputation of being particularly solid if they haven't been allowed to rot out.

I really don't like the 80s decor though. To each their own.
timhortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:16 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I have a '74 Argosy which I would consider selling. Check your private messages for contact info and details on this trailer.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 03:39 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Jasper , Texas
Well I bought an 85 29ft Excella, dear lord I want to just check myself into an asylum
Old 08-08-2015, 04:24 PM   #32
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Good size and not terribly old. Hope it checks out well. Use the inspection checklists around here for buying a trailer. List the problems, and note what you'll need help in understanding in order to repair, restore or upgrade.

It's a fair guess that $10,000 on top of what you've spent will be needed. And while that won't finish it (but it'll be closer if you do most of the work yourself), it should get you most of the way.

Good luck.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:55 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Kiefer , Oklahoma
Mr. Alexj, welcome to the AS club. Your Excella 29' is a good choice. Please, take lots of pics., they will help you during your restoration. As you have notice, this forum is full of very smart AS owners and they will not steer you wrong.
If you still have your old SOB, you might want to salvage everything that works, like stove, refrigerator, hot water heater, etc.
Try to use as much RV type stuff from your old SOB in your AS and what you can't use; list it on EBay.
My biggest suggestion is about safety. Please, bring your AS to a professional RV propane inspector. Install propane, CO2, smoke detectors, and two A,B,C fire extinguisher, one by each escape window. Make sure your fire escape windows open too.
Also, make sure your insurance covers total lose and replacement at restored value. I went with BlueSky Insurance with a replacement value of $60,000. They also insure 365 day full timers too. When you get a chance to, have your AS appraised.
A professional AS appraisal might give you an idea of much work needs to be done to your AS.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Floatingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:33 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
Plattsmouth , Nebraska
alexj; Any year, gutted or "as is", then you must gut, with redone or good floor under windows and at door. Pull out steps gone = use concrete block(s). Furnish (couch, bed, dresser, table, chairs, lamps, etc.) from resale shop $250 mindful of 25 inch wide door. FOLLOWiNG MOSTLY NEW ---House a/c without heat. $189. 2 space heaters. $100. 3.1 to 4.5 cu ft 2 door frig. $139. Under sink on demand 110v 3Kw hot water heater. $119. Attachable hand held sprayer for shower.$20. Convection microwave. $199. Induction hot plate. $100. Sink w/base from builders salvage yard and an oblong toilet w/seat. $100. 25' rubber garden hose $50. Shower curtain w/ hooks and piece of conduit $30. Hang to divide space to make smaller sq.ft. if heat and a/c can't keep up. Power cable for 50 amps, power strips, extension cords and duct tape $100. Fabric wardrobe for cloths $30 36" x 24" snap together 5 shelf for storage $24. Tarp for new awning $50. Lots of "L" bracket fasteners for over the road travel, tires, lights, running gear, etc could be $2K. If possible find trailer with solid axle and leaf springs (older torque tube axle type rigs you'll need to replace) Spend $4K to $5K on trailer and $1,500 to outfit and you should be good for at least 5 years. NOTE: no propane!!! 402 296 3796
BigButtUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 12:49 PM   #35
1 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Jasper , Texas
I paid 8300 for it, supposedly it works, but who knows, I dont think it will work at all . . . . I think I got sold a shiny piece of scrap metal (I am horrible at shopping), but, I didn't feel any soft spots in the walls or floor that I could tell, and the highway lights mostly work (the one right side tail light is out) and AC may work (the AC went on and could feel the cool, but it tripped the breaker shortly after, the person selling it said that was because it was hooked up to a house, rather than a proper 30amp plug)

I have a lot at the friendly local RV park with full hookups rented for a month and in a couple weeks the trailer is going to meet with my mechanic so he can test it and identify what doesn't work. After identifying issues he will figure out whether or not we can proceed with efforts to fix it or if its going onto craigslist to see if anyone will buy it before I have it hauled away as trash

The mechanic will hopefully be able to spot the water damage (if any, I assume there is) or identify major problems likely to lead to more water damage and leaking, and will test the fridge, plumbing, propane and such to see if things function

Known issues on mechanics agenda
1. Has an aftermarket burglar alarm - which will NOT go off! Power goes on, alarm goes on. See if he can disarm that (obviously this needs to happen before he can test anything else requiring power). Also I can't even try to sell it for any salvage value on craigslist if an alarm goes off as soon as it is plugged in
2. Door lock was butchered and needs repair/replacement, currently has visible holes and requires act of congress to fix
3. Shower needs caulking around the edges as caulk is cracking. Also the interior covering is peeling off, see if shower is leaking
4. The chair is missing, and there is some staining on the cloth near where the chair should have been - should look to see if rot/water damage/disaster near there
5. There is a crack in the plastic above the couch - check there to see what damage lies there
6. Dent around right rear trim line - see if can caulk that or otherwise seal
it

I am dreaming at this point, since I imagine I will be well beyond 'over budget' by the time the mechanic gets done with 'fixes needed to make functional for the next six months', but, I am dreaming of an electric hot water heater, and would like to have one installed. The estimate for parts, labor, and service call for a propane/electric hybrid hot water heater is 1.2k
Old 08-09-2015, 08:39 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
New Trailer

Alexj, Did you get a title? Alarm that goes off when plugged in and butchered door latch/lock could easily equal a stolen trailer. If I were you I would call local police and have them check the model/serial against stolen lists. Better to find out now! Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:38 PM   #37
1 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Jasper , Texas
Yeah I got a title

Though I will check to see if the title actually matches the trailer and such. Where do you find the VIN number?
Old 08-10-2015, 07:09 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Kiefer , Oklahoma
Not much difference from buying an old house in prime location. Bad flooring, electric, plumbing, A/C, roof, foundation.
It's hard for me to understand why people buy new and let it fall apart. The worse part; they still think it's worth something.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:20 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Kiefer , Oklahoma
I have the impression, you are still looking at your AS as a SOB. It's Not! Divide the square footage into the amount of money you spent or will spin. Do a ratio of price per square with buying an old condo overlooking Central Park in New York. Your AS is prime real-estate just because of people having a desire to have it.
Please, restore your AS with allot of tender loving care. Because, some day someone is going to knock on your door with a plank check wanting to buy that shiny Airstream.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:04 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
Plattsmouth , Nebraska
alexj: BigButtUgly says his suggestion of how to outfit your new Airstream is a money saver and works well for a permanent parking spot with all hookups. If you want to later go traveling you'd want a different configuration. If you want to be mostly off grid, in all weather and for any location and very minimal maintenance with nothing to winterize, your insides would be radically different. But don't give up on your buy. You may have paid a little too much--but so what! Think floor and windows , front and rear sag.
BigButtUgly is offline   Reply With Quote