Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Anything that raises the air temperature lowers the relative humidity. Unless water vapor is a combustion byproduct, anyway. Doesn't matter if it's an electric heater, propane, diesel, or wood.
I figured the stove would be sucking humid air out of the trailer while radiating heat into the trailer.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #22
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinLoaf View Post
You'll definitely see a major improvement, and it's not just because the temperature rose as suggested earlier. That's only true in a closed environment where your combustion air is drawn from, and exhausted to, the outdoors, as with our furnaces.

Good luck.
The OP said he's be using a double flue, so he will be drawing combustion air from outside, and exhausting it to outside.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
The OP said he's be using a double flue, so he will be drawing combustion air from outside, and exhausting it to outside.
When the original poster referred to a double flue, I believe she simply meant double insulated and did not mean for purpose of drawing in combustion air from outside. It's not possible to draw air down a heated double walled flue without a fan source and that's much too complex for a wood burner.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:40 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
I figured the stove would be sucking humid air out of the trailer while radiating heat into the trailer.
Well, that's what our wood stove does, in our house.

Maggie
Old 01-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #25
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
OK, This is WAY outa my 1st hand knowledge zone, but that has not stopped my from posting before.

What if it was a wood pellet fed t-stat controlled type mini furnace?

My camping buddy has a pellet fed mini smoker and you set it and forget it makes heat. Later food comes out.

Pellets consistant, controlled, auto feeding, designed for minimal ash etc etc.

Fire away, its just another hair brained idea. I'm trying to write a book about them, no author, no publisher, no readers yet.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:59 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
The marine stove in my previous post draws air for combustion from outside. The operating instructions say to make sure the door is tightly closed, or it will draw air from the living space and/or allow exhaust gases (e.g., carbon monoxide) inside. Seems like you would want the air for combustion to be drawn from outside; otherwise, warm inside air would be drawn up the flue.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:33 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
When I lived on my boat we heated with a model 211 shipmate www.shipmatestove.com/ that would do a great job with a tiny firebox and an oven about the size of a shoebox. It made the best tasting biscuits in the world. I now heat my house with a cast iron air-tight stove that also does a fine job. Sometimes everything on The Forums has to turn into rocket science. When I was a little kid a long time ago we had a coal stove in the kitchen and a coal furnace in the cellar. Mom finished 8th grade and Dad got as far as 5th and we survived somehow. Go for it. Once you learn about banking a fire you're good to go. Sal
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:05 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Falmouth , cornwall
I like your style Sal. We are definately trying to simplify our lives and the woodstove seems like a good way to provide heat simply.
The double walled flue is for insulation. The woodstove will need the draw from the flue to keep the fire burning. Seems I've stepped into a minefield of uncertainty.
We are struggling to keep our business alive at the moment, so thinking of simpler way of life with fewer bills is just about keeping me sane.

cheers

Jules
mackerelbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:25 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
Nah, there's no uncertainty. If you camp in the winter you will never regret heating with wood. There's just nothing like it.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Anchorage , Alaska
I think you stepped into a minefield of uncertain PEOPLE, you will do just fine. I think you got a good plan with the snail stoves, and double wall pipe. Can't go wrong. I don't have an outside air source and I have had no issues with fresh air, these old trailers have lots to leak in fresh air. I have a large gap under my door... I bought a detector just in case, but no issues yet.
StreamlineAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:28 AM   #31

1975 23' Safari
Roseburg , Oregon
latitude adjustments

So, I just moved from an old shack in beautiful Missoula, Montana, which I shared with two other dudes, girlfriends, couch friends, cats and dogs, to a 1975 Safari Land Yacht, solo and full time, just outside of beautiful Roseburg, Oregon. I made this switch because it's time to get a career, I love wine, I love agriculture, and I love the Pacific Northwest. Southern Oregon covers all the bases.

So happens, my mother and her significant man friend for life are traveling, as semi-pro Airstreamers are wont to do, through Roseburg in February, and they spy this rig for sale. One thing leads to another, sharks smell an aluminum deal in the water, and the Land Yacht gets purchased. 23 feet, 1975, great interior styling, everything in almost-new condition, at a weirdly small price. I move into it a week later, with a Subaru and a small u-haul trailer full of stuff.

There was a small leak under the shower, but a short panic led to analysis, and it was just a leaky hose clamp. No sawz-all to the belly pan required. The power converter was also kaput, but after much agonizing I replaced it. The whole procedure was remarkably simple, and now I have lovely overhead lights and a CO detector.

I gave up a few things, like a mountain bike and some furniture, but I gained much more in freedom. I'm already imagining things like solar panels and a high-efficiency wood stove. Apparently the Airstream bug is one of those charming varieties that burrows, lays eggs and hatches, because I had a dream last night where somebody was demonstrating a radiant floor in their airstream, and telling me it didn't weigh much at all.

You Airstreamers have been on to a good thing for some time, now. Sometimes it is like living in a beer can or a small plane fuselage, but so what? It's everything a bachelor needs, and nothing he doesn't, but they should come equipped with a medium sized mutt and an aloe plant. For company.

Heavy duty plastic totes are indispensable for storage. Sleeping bags, climbing ropes, tents, the chainsaw, and all kinds of bulky things that don't see everyday use can live outside, provided they're kept dry. This revelation is why I do not have to walk sideways through my bedroom today.
rdbeardshear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:11 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
'55 Airstream 26' LOA.

https://tinman54.blogspot.com/
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f228...tml#post616014
tinman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:31 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Vermont Woodstove

I want one of these..

How perfect would this be.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	186615  
Old 08-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Friends of ours have installed a marine woodstove, not sure what model, in their Airstream parked on the their property in Northern Ontario. They use it as a winter base for skiing and according to them it works well. No running water of course in the winter, but the trailer is, reportedly, warm and cozy.

When I lived in the UK I spent some time living on a narrowboat where the only source of heat was a small woodstove. It was never an issue. Yes, mornings could be cold, but small spaces heat up quick.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
Mt. Vernon , Washington
Dear friend
Absolutely, absolutely ABSOLUTELY, PROVIDE OUTSIDE MAKEUP AIR regardless of how 'leaky' your airstream is purported to be.
Just saying....but ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!>
Loren
L&C Woogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:25 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Winnipeg , Manitoba
My question to you all is

If I buy a used airstream say no less than 15 yrs maybe newer.
Does the heater take up allot of space? I will be buying site unseen besides pics online and having someone of course inspect it before I buy. BUT my question is .... How hard or easy is it to remove the electric heat and add a wood stove? Or should I keep the electric heat and add a stove ?

I want the wood stove for sure, just not sure how to remove the factory propane e heater or even if I should? help
Happydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:29 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Winnipeg , Manitoba
Doug and Maggie what stove is that?? I want to know
Old 08-31-2013, 12:01 PM   #38

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
If there is any electric heat, it's built into the AC unit and takes up no additional room.

From the factory there is a ducted propane furnace with a 12V fan. The modern furnace doesn't occupy a huge volume, and will generally be inside a cabinet or closet so that's not space that's readily re-usable for a wood-burning stove. If you're remodeling to the point that you're rebuilding/replacing cabinetry, it might be worth removing the propane furnace. Otherwise it's probably going to be as good to just leave it there as another heating option.

EDIT: I don't think Airstream offered this as an option in the age range you're talking about, but it was an option in older trailers and lots of people add them to their own trailer. You may find a trailer with a catalytic propane heater. People like these for boondocking because they require no electrical power.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:46 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydays View Post
Doug and Maggie what stove is that?? I want to know
It is a Vermont Bun Baker wood stove. If you google it, you will find it.

Needless to say, it is pricey.

Maggie
Old 09-02-2013, 10:22 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Winnipeg , Manitoba
Besides the o so expensive Kim wood stove. Are their any other eco ended wood stoves for rv o boats??

I like the squirrel I wounded is it to Big or just rgt for a 30 ft airstream?
Then theirs the cod and sardine. ANY MORE I DON'T KNOW ABOUT? )