Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-23-2010, 09:24 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
portland , Oregon
winterizing this weekend !

winterizing this weekend!

i am planning to dwell full-time in my '77' 31' land yacht starting this weekend. the weather in portland has already dropped below freezing (morning temp) - yikes!

however, i am damn excited to start my journey.

i could really benefit from some sound advice from those have lodged full-time (especially through winter months) and any advice you have.

suggestions on space heaters? condensation? furnace? skirting? water heater?

just want to stay warm! : )

much appreciated!
pdx437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:59 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Drasco , Arkansas
It's definitely a journey! I've worked away from home 3 years now and lived in my '75 Sovereign thru the weeks and some weekends. My home is in Arkansas and I've worked in Missouri and Tennessee. I've Airstream'd in temps down around zero° F for short periods of time. The best advice I can give you is to make sure your furnaces is functioning correctly. If it's the original and you have any problems with it I recommend you bite the bullet and replace it with a new Suburban. It'll save you lots of mornings laying in the floor trying to light the pilot at 4:00 am...I also recommend you acquire atleast a 100 lb LP bottle to use. I used two 20 lb'rs the first year and swapped them out at the local convenience store. It wasn't long before the lady behind the counter would see me pull up and meet me outside with the key to unlock the propane rack....I was a good customer sometimes stopping by twice a week. The 100 lb'r I fill about once a month when it gets cold.
Use your holding tank for water and let the furnace keep it thawed. Even in moderately cold (below freezing) temps a water hose will freeze laying on the ground. You won't have any problems with water as long as you use the furnance and keep the tanks warmed.
Good luck and let me know how this works out for you. Also, if you have any specific questions I'll be glad to give you my take on things. I almost feel like an expert at full timing in the Airstream for three winters now.
TCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
DONE! Pulled the batteries and put em in my shop hooked to the trickle charger. Now we're off to South Dakota w/o the trailer!!! Pheasants for Christmas dinner this year! Woohoo!
Old 11-23-2010, 10:48 AM   #4
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Thumbs up Full time winter living, Freeze problems

Your trailer may be set up different from my motor home, but my plan for the Clipper is such.

If you are wintering full time at a park with power and full service:
Keep the furnace running even if you use an aux. electric heater. A small fan on low speed will keep air circulating.
In the interest of economy and comfort, use an electric blanket, and a heating pad for the chair.
Purchase a heat tape for the exposed water line and cover and insulate the supply valve. That is for the parks water tap as, in severe weather, you should just fill you water tank and store your hose. Fill your water storage tank direct and not thru the hose for pressure supply. This should be winterized as it is to exposed to the weather and will freeze. (on the Clipper this hose is not in the heated area, and unless you supply some type of heat - tape etc. it is a problem.) At times the park water may be unavailable because of problems beyond your control. Keep at least 3 gal plastic jugs of drinking water available.
Dump and drain completely the waste water line only when needed. Keep a new waste hose in storage as the current frozen one will break with any excess movement.
Use Reflectix® Double Bubble to insulate windows you don't need to look out of, eg. bedroom. Also in the skylights and use velcro on the vent covers and remove when necessary. (cooking/showers)
Use regular bubble wrap in the kitchen and living room windows that supply light to the living area.
Try to keep the moisture level down, by using the microwave rather than the gas stove.
Cold weather is a challenge whether parked or travelling. Know your unit and carry and use RV antifreeze liberally in the waste water to keep the dump outlets from freezing solid.
Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:14 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' International CCD FB
Everett , Washington
We lived through the worst of the winter in Fayetteville, AR last year. Every weekend had snow/ice storms and below freezing temps. Whenever it is warm enough or the sun is shining enough to thaw the lines, top off your holding tank. Do keep some big jugs of water in the RV "just in case".

Our biggest challenge was water. We had one weekend we had to hotel it because it was too cold to get water/dump. I second the electric blanket thing. And wooly socks -- the floors get cold.

Be sure to get some sunshine every now and then. That helps with cabin fever... Stay warm!

/Lois
WBCCI #4018

Just call us Jean & Bill :-)
HankandLois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 04:09 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
portland , Oregon
well - so far these suggestions have been great! much thanks to all.

i'm curious - what about space heaters? i plan on using one as little as possible - but are there brands that i should be more attentive to?
pdx437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:18 PM   #7
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Ceramic Heater,

i'm curious - what about space heaters? i plan on using one as little as possible - but are there brands that i should be more attentive to?

A small ceramic heater is a great asset. But be selective when you buy, and get one with a two speed fan and thermostat heat setting, as they are usually noisy in a confined space. I run ours on low heat and low speed the majority of the time its used. they are light and easy to store, and portable if you needed to use it in the basement for an emergency.

Yes, there are heat strips in my AC's, but the noise of the fans are too much when you want to watch TV or converse with someone. If you winterized you unit you probably covered the AC with your BQ cover or such, but running the heat strip should still be OK.

Dave
Old 11-25-2010, 11:56 AM   #8
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Winter, Wooly socks

Our biggest challenge was water. We had one weekend we had to hotel it because it was too cold to get water/dump. I second the electric blanket thing. And wooly socks -- the floors get cold.

Be sure to get some sunshine every now and then. That helps with cabin fever... Stay warm!

/Lois[/QUOTE]

Lois:
I would think, if you are confined to extended stay inside, you would have knited WOOLIES for everyone!
Might be a good money making sideline????

Dave