Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #81
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Sounds like you are getting similar weather, though more snow. We have about 6" on the ground right now and more predicted today and tomorrow. Remember never to wrap heat tape around itself or it will burn itself out. I recall seeing a post some time ago about problems with the very expensive heated hoses, though others have used them without problems. It probably depends on the brand.

I think I'd simply fill the fresh water tank every day and take the water hose inside before it freezes. I think at 20˚ a water hose starts to get very stiff in about 5 minutes, about the time it takes to fill the tank. Are you having any problems with ice build up in the sewer hose? A blocked and frozen sewer hose is not something anyone would want to have to deal with.

Our cat wants to go outside a couple of times a day and then after he investigates his territory, he's back at the door to sleep for another couple of hours in a warm, safe place. I think cats sleep about 90% of their lives.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:32 PM   #82
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
It only took us a few drain hose freeze-ups to get one of these hangers: 1/4" per foot drop will usually suffice. We leave the drain valves open.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2417drain.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	400.3 KB
ID:	175283  
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:42 PM   #83
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
Winter for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Sounds like you are getting similar weather, though more snow. We have about 6" on the ground right now and more predicted today and tomorrow. Remember never to wrap heat tape around itself or it will burn itself out. I recall seeing a post some time ago about problems with the very expensive heated hoses, though others have used them without problems. It probably depends on the brand.

I think I'd simply fill the fresh water tank every day and take the water hose inside before it freezes. I think at 20˚ a water hose starts to get very stiff in about 5 minutes, about the time it takes to fill the tank. Are you having any problems with ice build up in the sewer hose? A blocked and frozen sewer hose is not something anyone would want to have to deal with.

Our cat wants to go outside a couple of times a day and then after he investigates his territory, he's back at the door to sleep for another couple of hours in a warm, safe place. I think cats sleep about 90% of their lives.

Gene
We have the fresh water tank filled for contingency purposes, but will use city water as long as possible. I am currently using a white water hose with heat tape. It works well, though the water does taste and smell of heated plastic. I have orderded another heated hose ( the first failed miserably). It really is the best solution! As far as sewer hose goes...I agree..do not let it build an ice dam. That is not pretty! I make sure that it is clear before dumping.

Propane truck came by today. $100 to fill er up. Money well spent in my opinion! It is nice that we have a 50 gallon tank set up here. Even if we run short we can switch over to our regular tanks. The weather this week looks to be pretty cold.

I will post on the efficiency of the dehumidifier and issues with condensation later in the week. I have been keeping a log..hopefully it will provide some good information for others.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:29 AM   #84
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I have been keeping a log..hopefully it will provide some good information for others.

Yes, please (and, thanks!)
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:16 AM   #85
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Silverton , Colorado
I have seen ads lately for RV water hoses with built in heating elements. One would still need to protect the faucet and stand pipe. In some places letting a bit of water flow though the system can really help [letting a faucet drip or even a small stream]. But due to the problems of getting a limited amount of water to the south rim I'd say don't do it. The hanger that is shown by Mike Leary works very well for the drain line. I have the exact same thing. It shouldn't take much insulation on the drain if it's short. The only problem is what are they going to allow.
Mark Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #86
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
If the water tastes and smells of heated plastic, I'd avoid drinking it. I'm certainly no expert on plastic, but it sounds like the hose is shedding plastic molecules—sort of like using some plastics in a microwave. On the bright side, you'll have a plastic liner in your stomach and intestines.

Gene
Old 12-27-2012, 02:39 PM   #87
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Grand Canyon hiking

I was just up at the GC for a few days the beginning of December (before the snow came) and traveled all through the parks and hiking trails in your area. I haven't been there in many years (even tho I live in AZ) and was quite surprised by the bus stops. There was quite a bit of bus traffic. You are right about all the available hiking outside the canyon trails. There was also a lot of elk just walking through it all. I'm excited to go back again (but not with the snow flying.)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	228.7 KB
ID:	175298   Click image for larger version

Name:	024.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	278.9 KB
ID:	175299  

Name:	031.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	175300   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5633.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	641.5 KB
ID:	175301  

Old 12-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #88
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Wow Mr deauxrite, those are some amazing videos. I am a camera nut but I would need some lessons to accomplish that! How did you get so much video into the segments and how did you get it to speed up??? Very nice job and beautiful as well.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:59 PM   #89
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
If the water tastes and smells of heated plastic, I'd avoid drinking it. I'm certainly no expert on plastic, but it sounds like the hose is shedding plastic molecules—sort of like using some plastics in a microwave. On the bright side, you'll have a plastic liner in your stomach and intestines.

Gene
Amen to that. We are currently carrying our drinking water and using the hose for showers and dish washing. I have ordered another of the heated hoses..should be here in a few days. The last one was dead on arrival and I am hoping for better results on the second one. I have not decided how I will test the second one. I will NOT just hook it up like the first and hope for the best. Waking to frozen water is not a pleasant experience that I wish to try again! Since I have only one water tap, I will have to figure out some way to test without disturbing my currently working system.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #90
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Photos and such

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlscan2 View Post
Wow Mr deauxrite, those are some amazing videos. I am a camera nut but I would need some lessons to accomplish that! How did you get so much video into the segments and how did you get it to speed up??? Very nice job and beautiful as well.
Pretty nice photos yourself. You have a talent for the art! I really like the one of the river!

My videos are a series of stills that are then processed into timelapse. It is a cool way to combine a passion for photography and motion picture photography. Here is a link to my Smugmug site..I store quite a few videos and lots of still photographs there.

Here is one from my hike this morning...this is why I like the trails away from the rim this time of the year.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0143.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	288.5 KB
ID:	175324  
Old 12-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #91
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
Very nice collection of photo's. what kind of equipment do you have?

Gary
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:03 PM   #92
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
Very nice collection of photo's. what kind of equipment do you have?

Gary
I shoot with Canon gear..only because that was what I started with. My main camera is a 5D Mark II and I use an older 40D as well. Most of the wildlife is shot with a 100-400 L series Canon lens, though I often carry a 28-300mm as a "walking around" lens.

One of the determining factors of where we travel and work is where I want to spend time photographing. Being able to spend 6 months or a year living in an area gives me time to really see, appreciate and photograph the area as the seasons change. Living in the Grand Canyon for the next 9-10 months is a terrific opportunity for a photography nut!
Old 12-28-2012, 07:22 AM   #93
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Your pics and videos are absolutely awesome. You are very talented! Thank you for sharing.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:11 AM   #94
Avid Wanna Beeeeeee

Currently Looking...
Overland Park , Kansas
Happy New Year Mr. Dudly Deauxrite. I hope you and Mrs. Deauxrite are enjoying the canyon and the new year....
Jay Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:26 AM   #95
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Condensation and winter temperatures

So, the current challenge (as there have been many) is controlling condensation. It seems that with night time temperatures in the low 20s and inside temperatures around 60 during sleep times, condensation is well controlled. There are a few problem areas around the lower edge of the entrance door and the curved panorama windows. Both require constant attention(mopping) to keep condensation under control.

When outside temperatures reach the low single digits the condensation freezes very quickly and removal becomes much more challenging. In addition, vents become frozen, door locks freeze,ice and condensation appear around rivit heads anywhere that the vapor barrier(or lack thereof) is breached.

We are using a de-humidifier, cooking inside sparingly, and have some ventalation. I think that we have minimized the condensation as much as we can and now will just have to live with it as is for the next two months or so. Spring will require a thorough cleaning and inspection. I know that water must be pooling in places that I cannot see or get to.

Keeping the trailer warm is not as difficult as I had feared. With sunny days (mostly) even cold days are comfortable inside due to the skin warming due to solar assistance. On cloudy days and very cold nights the furnace gets a workout. I assist it with a small electric heater on nights near zero.

Temperatures this week started in the low single digits near zero and are warming now to lows around 20 and highs around 36. It is feeling absolutely balmy after the last two weeks of very cold, windy weather
Old 01-06-2013, 08:37 AM   #96
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Condensation is a worry to me (interior humidity a constant problem on Gulf Coast, too). A dehumidifer is a lifesaver.

In looking around on the subject of interior storm windows one comment that stuck was that the above, with the addition of skirting, were the two major pieces of the puzzle for winter camping (several forums).

Kits are available for the windows. Here is one -- Window Savers Interior Storm Windows -- to give you ideas to play with. And one on skirting: RV Skirting / Standard Heavy Duty

I think that an inner layer of insulation behind the "skirt wind break" might be the way to go. As to windows, no one approach to all of them, but a variety. Some exterior + interior, some interior or exterior only, and some none at all.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:07 AM   #97
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Windows and skirting

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Condensation is a worry to me (interior humidity a constant problem on Gulf Coast, too). A dehumidifer is a lifesaver.

In looking around on the subject of interior storm windows one comment that stuck was that the above, with the addition of skirting, were the two major pieces of the puzzle for winter camping (several forums).

Kits are available for the windows. Here is one -- Window Savers Interior Storm Windows -- to give you ideas to play with. And one on skirting: RV Skirting / Standard Heavy Duty

I think that an inner layer of insulation behind the "skirt wind break" might be the way to go. As to windows, no one approach to all of them, but a variety. Some exterior + interior, some interior or exterior only, and some none at all.

I do not think that we could make the winter here without our home made skirting. The temperature under the trailer is usually around 35 degrees. The trouble light and radiated heat from the trailer keep the underside and thus the tanks and valves above freezing even on those nights around zero farenheit. The foam board that I used is only 3/4 inch thick, but all of the joints are secure and tight an I check them regularly.

I looked at plexiglass inserts for our windows to see if making home made storm windows was an option. I guess that if I was going to spend my winters in this type of climate every year, I would try to retrofit plexi inserts and figure a way to seal them. Since I have no idea where we will be next winter...I will take a wait and see attitude and do some additional research.

Believe it or not, but painters tape is a huge help for all of the small places that leak air. The advantage, of course is that it peels off without leaving a gummy residue. It does look pretty ugly, but success is not always pretty.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:04 PM   #98
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by deauxrite View Post
Believe it or not, but painters tape is a huge help for all of the small places that leak air. The advantage, of course is that it peels off without leaving a gummy residue. It does look pretty ugly, but success is not always pretty.
I believe the longer you leave it on, the harder it is to get off. Always fold back an end so you can get it off easily (I just about always forget that). I don't know about painter's tape, but WD-40 will get duct tape adhesive off (plus some elbow grease).

Looks like snow might come Thurs-Fri. You usually get it first.

Gene
Old 01-08-2013, 05:38 PM   #99
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas

Try a roll of "gaffers tape" (used in film productions). PERMACEL 672

No residue problem and far more useful as toolbox supply.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #100
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX"

Try a roll of "gaffers tape" (used in film productions). [URL="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/354371-REG/Permacel_Shurtape_Gaffer_Tape_Professional.html
PERMACEL 672[/URL]

No residue problem and far more useful as toolbox supply.

AND you can get it in Silver (well Grey anyway) plus other colors. Once you've used Gaffers tape at work, you really miss having it at home.

- Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote