Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2021, 05:49 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
SOLVED:

Thanks to the patience of fellow member Wulfraat and the BattleBorn team we got to the bottom of this. Airstream recommends a WFCO Lithium converter when you do the full upgrade. The issue was that this specific converter charges at max 13.6V, so my batteries have actually never been fully charged while this WFCO converter was installed.

I ordered a new Progressive Dynamics converter, installed it and for the first time I was able to fully charge the batteries (much faster than with the previous converter).

I guess I'll start saving for two more batteries as I still consume quite a lot of power overnight in cold temperatures.
CMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 09:06 PM   #42
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHM View Post
SOLVED

Woohoo!
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 09:30 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Hooray! And thanks for letting us know the answer to this problem.
field & stream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 09:33 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Ok so here are two screenshots of my 712, first image with furnace off and second with furnace on. Devices that are left on: two led lights in kitchen, water pump and water heater on standby, Fusion on standby and a Pepwave modem – and the fridge.

I also included a picture of the battery box wiring and the shunt. Re: not wiring properly: my 712 doesn’t get any data under Temperature (see screenshot), could that be an issue?

(ps: Wulfraat, remember we discussed my setup already and the charging / converter data seemed odd. Battleborn told me to replace the WFCO lithium converter).
I noticed something peculiar with how your shunt is wired. It appears that there are multiple negative cables attached to both ends of the shunt. This should not be. The battery only end of the shunt should only have one negative cable attached from the most negative battery and all other negative cables should be attached to the other side of the shunt.

This could also be contributing to incorrect readings?
thewarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 09:35 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Here is what mine looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Box.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	327.1 KB
ID:	408013  
Old 11-15-2021, 09:55 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 09:59 PM   #47
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Winter Boondocking on Lithium

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarden;
I noticed something peculiar with how your shunt is wired. It appears that there are multiple negative cables attached to both ends of the shunt. This should not be. The battery only end of the shunt should only have one negative cable attached from the most negative battery and all other negative cables should be attached to the other side of the shunt.

This could also be contributing to incorrect readings?

There are 2 negative leads coming from the battery which is why you have 2 negative cables on the batt side of the shunt.

One was originally for the inverter / the other for house 12v bus. Airstream installer was lazy - rather than replacing with a single, larger guage negative cable they just sistered them up to handle the overall load potential.

Shunt is located inside the trailer so this is easier and cheaper than pulling a new single, larger guage negative battery cable.

Been there / done that on my 2008 [emoji6]
Old 11-15-2021, 10:03 PM   #48
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarden;
Here is what mine looks like.

Cleaner install. Just note that the BMV shunt is not rated for outdoors use. Many do it, but keep your eye on the electronics board for signs of corrosion.
Old 11-16-2021, 09:10 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
CMHM: Could I ask what Progressive Dynamics converter you purchased? I am in process of considering Lithium upgrade and wanting map out everything.
Old 11-16-2021, 10:39 AM   #50
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
SOLVED:

I guess I'll start saving for two more batteries as I still consume quite a lot of power overnight in cold temperatures.
We went with two BB batteries when we switched to lithium. Last winter we were camped in AZ and NM in temps into the upper 20s. Kept the furnace at a relatively comfortable temp at night. My original Interstates couldn’t do two nights in a row without getting out a generator. With lithium we were still above 90% the next morning. I got out portable solar panels in the morning to top them off while we were in camp.
You must have a much larger furnace than our 25GT. Or possibly the electric refrigerator? I’m not sure how many days I could go without recharging, but I would guess four at least.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 11:26 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Quote:
SOLVED:

“…….. Airstream recommends a WFCO Lithium converter when you do the full upgrade. The issue was that this specific converter charges at max 13.6V, so my batteries have actually never been fully charged while this WFCO converter was installed. ……. .

Do I understand this right, the lithium converter recommended by Airstream fails to fully charge lithium batteries?!?
field & stream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 12:22 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by field & stream View Post
Do I understand this right, the lithium converter recommended by Airstream fails to fully charge lithium batteries?!?
Hmmm - that is perplexing. The charger Airstream specifies is WFCO WF-9850L2, spec link is below. It does show that it is Lithium capable with 14.6V bulk.
https://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conte...-Converter.pdf

CMHM: Did you verify when you pulled out the WFCO that it was indeed the correct unit that Airstream specifies for Lithium? Maybe they never changed it out think your model was new enough. I think you're still better off with Progressive Dynamics.
Old 11-16-2021, 03:16 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Hmmm - that is perplexing. The charger Airstream specifies is WFCO WF-9850L2, spec link is below. It does show that it is Lithium capable with 14.6V bulk.
https://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conte...-Converter.pdf

CMHM: Did you verify when you pulled out the WFCO that it was indeed the correct unit that Airstream specifies for Lithium? Maybe they never changed it out think your model was new enough. I think you're still better off with Progressive Dynamics.
Does the WFCO converter have 2 settings, one for wet cell and one for lithium? My progressive dynamics converter does.

It would make sense that it would be set for wet cell originally, allowing you to switch charging profiles when you switch battery chemistry.
Old 11-16-2021, 04:15 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarden View Post
Does the WFCO converter have 2 settings, one for wet cell and one for lithium? My progressive dynamics converter does.

It would make sense that it would be set for wet cell originally, allowing you to switch charging profiles when you switch battery chemistry.
From the WF-9850L2 manual. Two stage, says nothing about setting jumpers. Don't see why it would not do the job.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 4.08.13 PM.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	408027  
Old 11-18-2021, 07:16 PM   #55
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
Hi all,

@ The Warden / Wulfraat: so is my shunt installation correct with the multiple negative ones being attached to it?

@ Field & Stream / OrangeCrush yes, this is the converter advised by Airstream and the one I had installed. It is clearly a Lithium converter but it charges only at 13.6V

@ OrangeCrush: sure, this is the model: PD9160ALV. You can find the link here, Battleborn advised to get the 60AMP model.

The one thing I realized that helps a lot are the following:
  • turn off water pump
  • turn off water heater
  • put electric fridge in night mode

I still keep the Pepwave running and charge my iPhone on USB, but with outside temperatures around 35F at night, I keep the furnace at 60F and I consume roughly 40-45% of my 200amp batteries until the next morning.
CMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 07:21 PM   #56
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Winter Boondocking on Lithium

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHM;
Hi all,

@ The Warden / Wulfraat: so is my shunt installation correct with the multiple negative ones being attached to it?

yes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1497.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	408117  
Old 04-24-2022, 05:18 PM   #57
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Boston , Ma
I’m in Broomfield now, will be my re-emerge spot for next 6/mo. Restored 2005 25’ Safari, updated, modernized except solar which I’ll be doing. 750w on AS, 300w on tow vehicle w additional battery storage in bed and 2nd battery tray in engine compartment (home made yeti’s) (silverado crew cab w cap)

Also have 84 Classic 34’ back in New England in great shape I’m “remodeling” updating. Be cool to cross paths
TeddyK is offline   Reply With Quote