Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
Looking for Adventure

1975 29' Ambassador
2020 25' Globetrotter
Social Circle , Georgia
Temporary Full Time

Hello All!

We are about to embark on a 6 month or so trip. We are very excited and will be living in our 34 classic. I am looking for the "must do's" and " must see's" on our trip. We are leaving May 1st and will be back sometime before Christmas. Please chime in on good places to camp, eat, play and see on our trip. The List of cities is below. We are will to modify the cities to see something good. We don't have a schedule and may stay in some areas a few days or weeks. Thanks in advance for your input. Any money saving tips would be appreciated. Looking forward to your responses.

David

Leaving Atlanta:

St Augustine, FL
Jeykll Island, Ga or Brunswick area
Rincon, GA (near Savannah)
Roanoke Island , NC near the coast
Willliamsburg, VA. Near Norfolk
Washington DC
Through Baltimore and on to Amish country in Pennsylvania
Columbus, OH
Airstream Factory tour
Indianapolis
Chicago-
Des Moines , IA
Omaha/ Lincoln, NE
Denver, CO
Casper , WY
Rapid City, SD
Billings, MT
Missoula, MT
Spokane, WA
Seattle, WA
Portland, OR
Eugene, OR
San Francisco, CA
Los Angeles, CA
Las Vegas
Salt Lake City
Could go back to Denver
Santa Fe, NM
Albuquerque,NM
Amarillo, TX
Oklahoma City
Wichita, KS
Wichita Falls, TX
Dallas/Ft Worth, TX
Little Rock, AR
Shreveport, LA
Baton Rouge, LA
maybe New Orleans
Biloxi, MS
Mobile, AL
Panama City/ Destin, FL

Back to Atlanta
KrazyKelleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Is it one of you? Two of you? A full house? What kind of things do you want to do? How much money do you have to spend on these things to do? Info, please!

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
There's lots of Amish country in Ohio too. See Kidron Ohio and Lehman's Hardware. If you go there on a saturday you'll get to see the livestock auction. Cleveland? My sister reminded me that we toured the USS Cod - a WWII sub in Cleveland as little kids, and that it's still there. NW Ohio - Cedar Point, one of the best "hard ride" parks in the world. Disney sends people there to train! Theres a coaster you can see CANADA from top of the first drop. (I don't enjoy puking in public, so I don't ride them.)

Do the bicycle museum down the road from Jackson Center - fascinating - and quirky.

Savannah - yep loved that! Spend lots of time.

Williamsburg - A good visit. By all means take the tours - the guides are excellent and stay in costume and period. Do see Yorktown too. (study the battle a bit ahead of time, so you'll really appreciate how close the opposing breastworks are in a set battle of that day.) I visit frequently and see something new with every trip. Last visit I was walking around the monument and noticed that one of the last to die was surnamed "Custis" and was an aide to General Washington...... Martha Washington, nee Custis. I won't think of Washington accepting Cornwallis's sword the same way again. There are lots of old Plantations along the James River in the general area of Williamsburg. Shirley is great, but so are many of the others. See at least one.

Richmond and the Avenue of the Confederacy. True southerners can confuse one sometimes. Before I became a "grateful recoverin' yankee" I visited Richmond and thought that there was a horribly inappropriate conversation happenin' at the next table. They were talking about what sounded like "the enema" - Imagine my discomposure when I finally realized they meant Grant's army!

I rather enjoy getting off the beaten path, but in DC the Aerospace museum and impressionist gallery at the Smithsonian are "kick ass main attractions" as are the Zoo and the Capitol.

Have fun and carry a spare pair of shoes in D.C. just so you can change so your feet will bleed in different places.

Paula
Old 04-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Sounds like a wonderful trip - you should start up a blog so to document the trip, events and share pictures!
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
Looking for Adventure

1975 29' Ambassador
2020 25' Globetrotter
Social Circle , Georgia
Full House. Money will be a consideration , but will step up if it is a must see. I have $200.00 per week budgeted for entertainment. Educational stuff is a plus.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:57 PM   #6
Looking for Adventure

1975 29' Ambassador
2020 25' Globetrotter
Social Circle , Georgia
Follow us at krazykelleys.com.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Are you getting a National Parks family pass?

Normal Colorado Tourist Stuff:

Rocky Mountain National Park and Estes Park
Ride the Georgetown Loop train and visit Georgetown and hike (or drive) up Guanella Pass
Drive up to the top of Mt. Evans (drivable 14er, the "highest paved road in the US")
Denver Art Museum
Denver Mint tour
Go stand on the marked step of the Capitol building and take your pic because you're exactly 1 mile above sea level
Go eat at the Buckhorn Exchange, which has liquor license #1, unless you're allergic to having many many stuffed animals watch you eat sonny boy
Garden of the Gods
Visit the Molly Brown House, Red Rocks (during a concert or not), Denver Botanic Gardens, Elitch Gardens, Lakeside Amusement Park, Denver Zoo, Denver Museum of Nature and Science, and the Downtown Aquarium.
Try to get up Long's Peak if you're here at the right time, or at least drive the Peak to Peak Byway and be sure to stop to take pics at the Chapel at St. Malo's.
Do the whole microbrew thing if you're into that.
Kayak into Confluence Park.
Mountain bike at Copper Mountain.
Golf anywhere in the mountains for the sheer joy of seeing your ball go further than usual.
Leadville, CO, North America's highest incorporated city.

If anyone has specific interests, let me know!

Old 04-06-2012, 06:49 AM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I see that some cities are not so far apart. Baltimore & D.C. for instance. I'd rustle up an itinerary of what & where on those two and -- having mapped them -- look for an RV park heading outwards from that concentration. Or, to avoid the worst traffic (probably impossible for those). Long term rates (one week, one month) sure beat daily rates. The nicer the park the better. RV Park Reviews :: Home and from around here.

I'd set up the TV to be a great "daily driver" for your use: water, food, and other items of comfort. On your own time with some chairs, folding table, an icebox, whatnot . . just stuff along that line that settin' up in a museum parking lot (etc) keeps one out of convenience stores by choice. In this world, but not of it.

One might also look up those who offer one-night (overnight) parking on this forum at their property. Nothing like a local to know how to get around, or what bad attractions to avoid. Just bag up some of those Georgia paper shell pecans for 'em. Boiled peanuts for the braver ones.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:05 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Saint Marys Georgia , Charlotte North Carolina
While in the Brunswick/Saint Marys Area, Cumberland Island is a must see...afterwards get some of the best seafood in the area at Langs Marina in downtown Saint Marys.... I know, I live there....
GranTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:40 PM   #10
Looking for Adventure

1975 29' Ambassador
2020 25' Globetrotter
Social Circle , Georgia
Thanks for the suggestions. Awesome ideas!! Please keep them coming.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #11
Looking for Adventure

1975 29' Ambassador
2020 25' Globetrotter
Social Circle , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlee
Are you getting a National Parks family pass?

Normal Colorado Tourist Stuff:

Rocky Mountain National Park and Estes Park
Ride the Georgetown Loop train and visit Georgetown and hike (or drive) up Guanella Pass
Drive up to the top of Mt. Evans (drivable 14er, the "highest paved road in the US")
Denver Art Museum
Denver Mint tour
Go stand on the marked step of the Capitol building and take your pic because you're exactly 1 mile above sea level
Go eat at the Buckhorn Exchange, which has liquor license #1, unless you're allergic to having many many stuffed animals watch you eat sonny boy
Garden of the Gods
Visit the Molly Brown House, Red Rocks (during a concert or not), Denver Botanic Gardens, Elitch Gardens, Lakeside Amusement Park, Denver Zoo, Denver Museum of Nature and Science, and the Downtown Aquarium.
Try to get up Long's Peak if you're here at the right time, or at least drive the Peak to Peak Byway and be sure to stop to take pics at the Chapel at St. Malo's.
Do the whole microbrew thing if you're into that.
Kayak into Confluence Park.
Mountain bike at Copper Mountain.
Golf anywhere in the mountains for the sheer joy of seeing your ball go further than usual.
Leadville, CO, North America's highest incorporated city.

If anyone has specific interests, let me know!
We are getting the national park pass. We love history and learning. I love local brews and discovering new ones. Enjoy light hiking and minor league baseball. We love all kinds of nature and enjoying God's creation. Thanks for all the links. We will be checking them out.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKelleys

We are getting the national park pass. We love history and learning. I love local brews and discovering new ones. Enjoy light hiking and minor league baseball. We love all kinds of nature and enjoying God's creation. Thanks for all the links. We will be checking them out.
You'll like most of those links then. If you like historic baseball places, make sure you tour Coors Field, it's a beautiful stadium even though it's fairly new.

There's also the Great Sand Dunes, tons of ghost towns, all kinds of hiking, shopping, cultural activities of all kinds...how long are you intending to stay?

Old 04-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Oh, and Fourmile House, and NCAR, and...

Old 04-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Also, if you're into Irish trad music, let me know, there's usually stuff going on.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:50 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Hi,

Since you will be hitting St. Augustine and Savannah early in your trip, a couple of suggestions up front,

Stay at a campground outside St. Augustine and take the trolly in the city. The streets are too narrow for comfort with your tow vehicle and parking is scarce. Do spend some time in St. Augustine if you haven't already though, as it is a great town to see.

While you are staying near Savannah, don't miss the Mighty Eighth Air Force Museum Home @ the Mighty Eighth . It is one of the best museums of WW II that I have visited--and I'm a museum buff.

Someone suggested seeing the Bicycle Museum in New Bremen, OH while you are staying near Jackson Center. I definitely agree! Bicycle Museum of America

While you are staying near Jackson Center you might want to head about 50 miles south to see the National Museum of the United States Air Force, which I believe is Ohio's number one tourist attraction. National Museum of the USAF - Home If you're into aviation, you could easily spend a whole day there.

Happy trails!
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Just about 20 miles north of the AS factory in Jackson Center OH is Wapakeneta OH where the Neil Armstrong Space Museum is. Note: They are closed on Mondays.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
While on the Barrier Islands of North Carolina, be sure to go to the Wright Brothers visitor city at Kitty Hawk, NC. Of course, all the way up the Barrier Islands are some really great lighthouses. Cape Hatteras lighthouse was even MOVED inland a few years ago. Otherwise it would've fallen into the Atlantic.
Enjoy, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote