Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-24-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
https://airstreamorama.com

2013 27' FB International
Palm Springs , California
Storage Tips

I've just picked up my Airstream 27FB from the dealer..my first TT ever…first time towing…all went well. I've put it in an individual storage unit at a local RV resort until I start full-timing in late January. I've plugged in to 30 amp power in the unit…switched the fridge over the auto…but I've left the LP turned on. I'm thinking that it'd probably be better to turn the LP off and will do so tomorrow. Any other useful storage tips? Note I'm not storing it in "Store" mode…the Airstream will be plugged in but is that wise? Or should I switch to "Store" when I'm not there and unplug altogether. It's stored in Palm Springs so no winterising required. Any thoughts and tips are appreciated.
Ljsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:16 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Since you're plugged into shore power, I'd say the main thing to concern yourself with is the house batteries. I don't know what make and model converter you have, but if it's not a decent-quality multi-stage charger, then I'd recommend shutting off the incoming power at the pedestal and putting the trailer in "store" mode. Every so often, about once a month or so, you can temporarily reconnect power and put it into "use" mode to recharge the batteries; typical AGMs self-discharge about 5% per month.

I concur with your plan to shut off the propane. If you're not using any appliances, there's no need to keep the propane connected. Not only does it potentially save propane, but it's safer. It can't leak inside the trailer if it's shut off at the tank.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
I lay down thick plastic sheeting ($25 at Lowes)on the floor to keep moisture from getting to my trailer(Concrete releases moisture).Shut everything down in store mode,remove my batteries and put on a trickle charge so when I am ready to go they are also if it just going to be a couple weeks before use again I just disconnect them.I scatter dryer sheets throughout the trailer under cabinets,couch,bed etc... maybe a dozen or so to keep mice at bay.Refridgerator and freezer doors must be left open to prevent mildew.Remove any foodstuff that mice enjoy.I never leave my trailer alone on shore power when in storage.Shut off LP also.Add a little black tank sanitizer thru the toilet so that you have no odor surprises when you return.Make a check list of what you do so that you remember everything next time you store the Airstream.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
oh my, just a few days of no black tank chemicals and perhaps a very small amount of liquid left in black tank and I got some funky smells in bathroom...I put in some water and chemical (powder of some sort) and things are great now.

The dealer folks, one person told me a "secret trick" - putting newspaper in the fridge and freezer and closing them prevents mildew...I was skeptical...instead I leave them cracked...

I assume (not sure yet) that my converter is not multi-stage - and as such since reading this from posts since picking up my AS I have opted to unplug the AS and keep an eye on battery as I go along (as she is in my back yard )

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
The dealer folks, one person told me a "secret trick" - putting newspaper in the fridge and freezer and closing them prevents mildew...I was skeptical...instead I leave them cracked...
Baking soda works better than newspaper. So does clean kitty litter. Charcoal bricquets work really well. Anything that absorbs moisture out of the air rather than allowing the moisture to collect on the fridge surfaces will work.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
I've had mine plugged up to 50 during the summer when not being used just so a/c will be available. Currently it's on a regular 20 amp circuit with adapter just to keep the batteries charged. I check and clean them every two months. When they go bad I will switch to agm or gel cell with a multi stage charger
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
I got some funky smells in bathroom... )
That's just the "New Trailer" smell, just like the new car smell it does not last long. But Airstream sells a spray can with the new trailer smell in a couple fragrances, "Black Tank Morning Dew" and "Chile and Beans".
Old 11-26-2013, 02:55 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2010 31' Classic
Crestview , Florida
We live in Florida and the trailer is in Florida most of the winter. Our enemy is the sun and the stagnant air inside the trailer. Since we have a solar panel we always hooked up our battery to the panel. This year we have a new tactic. We disconnected fully charged batteries. We connected a fan to the solar panel that circulates the air inside the trailer using solar power.
Whenever we open the trailer door there is always fresh air inside. For details about the fan, email me.
Libo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #9

Thanks for the tips! I've turned the LP off, flipped the power switch and am in "Store" mode…with Arm & Hammer in the fridge and dryer sheets strewn everywhere. I haven't used the black tank yet but I've stocked up on additive for that when the time comes. I had one question about the converter though…anybody know where I can find it to do a visual check on whether or not it's a multi-stage converter. I did get a verbal confirmation from the dealer when I had solar installed however I'd like to check it out myself…but it's a mystery where it is (!)…I have a 27FB if that helps...
Old 11-26-2013, 08:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljsydney View Post
Thanks for the tips! I've turned the LP off, flipped the power switch and am in "Store" mode…with Arm & Hammer in the fridge and dryer sheets strewn everywhere. I haven't used the black tank yet but I've stocked up on additive for that when the time comes. I had one question about the converter though…anybody know where I can find it to do a visual check on whether or not it's a multi-stage converter. I did get a verbal confirmation from the dealer when I had solar installed however I'd like to check it out myself…but it's a mystery where it is (!)…I have a 27FB if that helps...
I thought all AS models today had single stage converters/chargers. I checked on my 2012 30 ft Flying cloud and it's a single. I think CS said all models were. Anyone know for sure? Personally I think a good single is just as good as a multi stage, but not many would agree with me on that. I leave my unit plugged in, charger going, small portable heater/dryer unit going for condensation , fridge doors cracked open all the time. Would switch to "Store" if I unplugged. Leave LP tanks turned off, except the few light freezing nights in south TX. Then, I open valves and turn Atwood heater to 40 , 45 since we don't winterize. (Storage is also a good time to leave valve lubricant in the black and gray tanks and the toilet bowl.)
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:02 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Valve lubricant?

Old 11-26-2013, 09:16 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Valve lubricant?
Camping world. For the dump valves. Actually you are supposed to put some in a empty tank and drive--slosh it around, it lubricates the dump valves and keeps them from sticking. You don't need the toilet lube for that rubber seal on its dump flapper, cause you have that macerator toilet.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard L. View Post
I thought all AS models today had single stage converters/chargers. I checked on my 2012 30 ft Flying cloud and it's a single. I think CS said all models were. Anyone know for sure? Personally I think a good single is just as good as a multi stage, but not many would agree with me on that. I leave my unit plugged in, charger going, small portable heater/dryer unit going for condensation , fridge doors cracked open all the time. Would switch to "Store" if I unplugged. Leave LP tanks turned off, except the few light freezing nights in south TX. Then, I open valves and turn Atwood heater to 40 , 45 since we don't winterize. (Storage is also a good time to leave valve lubricant in the black and gray tanks and the toilet bowl.)
This is what I was told by the dealer when I queried re the converter a month ago:

"Airstream Inverter is one level, Airstream Converter is three!!!!! Inverter & Converter warranty is one year"

That said…I don't have a make or model number to confirm myself...
Old 11-26-2013, 09:33 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Mine per AS manual is "parallax 7300"....
Not sure yet if this is single or what

Old 11-27-2013, 05:54 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
You can easily upgrade your 7300 Parallax to a 3 stage converter. The upgrade includes an intelligent charger:

Converter Upgrade

It will keep you from cooking your batteries when plugged in during storage. There are a number of threads on AirForums that cover this issue. I did the upgrade myself over 2 years ago shortly after I bought the trailer. I leave the trailer plugged in all the time when not in use. I've never had an issue with the batteries overcharging.
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Mine per AS manual is "parallax 7300".... Not sure yet if this is single or what
Thanks PharmGeek...I went out to the trailer today and there it was right in front of my face...same make & model
Old 11-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #17
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I have found that using a Battery Minder/Tender is the safest alternative to trickle charge the batteries while in storage whether you have a single or triple stage converter. Put the trailer in storage mode and there is no worry of a surge affecting electronics. Turn the propane off. Vent opening depends on the humidity levels. As far as the fridge, Dometic makes clips that will allow you to prop the doors open to allow air circulation.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:56 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
ill have to hold off on the 3 stage upgrade...money tree just too low! Luckily I dont have mine stored off site so it is easy for me to keep an eye on the battery from the panel in the AS here and there and plug in as needed....but would like to just keep it plugged in - no fuss....

Am I to presume that the consensus is very strong that 1 stage converter very often burns up batteries? I do recall someone saying they never had a problem, but many more voices say they did...and there is a basic explanation for it it seems...

Old 11-27-2013, 08:07 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
I've got the factory single stage in 2012 FC. It's 1 1/2 years old and is always plugged in (not in store mode). Batts stay at 100. % on trickle. Batts fine, I've never had to add water, anything. I have the Bogart, Trimetric battery monitor installed showing battery condition at all times.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:15 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
PharmG,
Do you have interstate or AGM Lifeline ? If You have Lifeline, your single stage converter will ruin the $600 batteries within a very short time. Replacement lifeline AGM batterie (2) will cost you about $700 plus $80 shipping . Bottom line, if interstate, just watch the water level & top regularly until you are ready for 3 stage converter upgrade and if Lifeline AGMs, the cost of upgrading now is a fraction of the cost of new AGMs. Just saying.....
F450Harley is offline   Reply With Quote