Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-04-2009, 03:34 PM   #1
I Bought it I Broke it...

1976 31' Sovereign
Migratory , North America
Shasta vs. Airstream, the ultimate showdown

Howdy all,

So my wife and I have been considering getting an Airstream for awhile and now it looks like it's actually going to happen...

Ahem, perhaps I should rephrase...

I have been wanting an Airstream for some time and finally my wife seems to be into the idea. We already have an RV, so I guess it's only now that it's really starting to clunk out on us is she ready to consider alternatives.

Yesterday we were all go on getting a little Bambi, probably an older one, but we're still very much in the early stages of looking around when she drops the bomb on me that she might prefer to have one of these old Shasta trailers.

So I try and tell her things like "but an Airstream will last us the rest of our lives, they're aerodynamic and therefore will save us cash on gas and towing power requirements, and their is a huge community out there just waiting to help us figure out the ins and outs."

But she's still not convinced and is somehow deadset on one of these things, which I consider to be about the ugliest thing that exists.

She is not, however, irrational, and given that we will be using a small tow vehicle and that we do want the thing to last us a lifetime, there is room for convincing.

So my task put forth to you fine people is simple: can you give me any more reasons, some solid evidence that I can use to argue this case?

And please no "if you don't know, you never will" stuff.

Danke!
clicknathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:42 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
1973 Argosy 26
Fairmont , West Virginia
Nothing can't be fixed! If you have enough rivets! Welcome to the forum! And yes these alumatubes will last a life time!
shermantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
You could argue that since you "do not need the thing to last us a lifetime", when it comes to resale the Airstream will hold it's value better and offer a wider buyer's market.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Our family's first TT was a brand new 1959 16' Shasta. My dad always commented how nice it towed. They were very light weight too. Less than a ton I believe.

Anyway we have an Airstream now, not a Shasta and we tow it with a smallish, fuel efficient vehicle that is ideal for the times.

Good luck with your venture.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:22 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
I too, want on old shasta, THEN my husband had me take a really, really good look at them. Tell her they have no "real" bathroom, If they have a potty inside, you have to take it out, the potty, and dump it. Tell her that will be her job! no shower either. So my husband got his airstream with a "real" bathroom in it!

Annette
bullydogsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:23 PM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
My only comment is that you'll have more elbow room in the Airstream. I've been in both and the Shastas are a bit cramped. Very cute though. I think you really can't go wrong with either. You'll spend a whole lot more money on a Bambi than any Shasta!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:28 PM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Airstream vs. Shasta, that's an interesting question.

You say that your were considering an older Bambi or an older Shasta. If it is vintage that you are considering, an Airstream would be easier to find, there are not a lot of vintage Shasta out. You Shasta selection would be somewhat limited. I would also think that parts availability would be better with an Airstream.

Also with an Airstream, you would have a bigger community to help with the information needed to maintain a vintage travel trailer. I don't believe that there is anything like these Forums in the Shasta world.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
If you want to spend more money there is a new Shasta available. We checked them out at the Toronto RV show. Not Bad.

Coachmen RV - Travel Trailers - Shasta

Old 03-04-2009, 04:39 PM   #9
1953 Flying Cloud

1953 21' Flying Cloud
West Sacramento , California
I think Shasta's are a very cool trailer. So on that note, It's some times better to ask forgiveness than for permission. At least thats what I told my better half when I brought mine home. Good luck with your search

www.petidforme.com/105
1953 Flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:54 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Vintage Shastas are pretty cool! Gotta love those wings!!!

However I prefer Airstreams for several reasons:
  • More variety in size, layout & options
  • More windows - brighter inside
  • "Real" bathroom with some privacy
  • Toilet vs Porta-Potty
  • Has a shower
  • More storage
  • Shasta's wood interior (while very pretty) is easily damaged if it leaks
  • Smooth shiny aluminum rather than painted ribbed
  • Easier to find replacement parts
  • Better re-sale
  • Lots of camaraderie for restoration help
  • "Airstream" legacy
  • AirForums
If you are okay with these then you're looking at a Shasta because it's most likely going to be cheaper than a vintage Bambi.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:11 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Respectfully..............

I would have to say that my normally helpful and wise Airstream forum brothers and sisters have given you questionable advice.
You absolutely need both an Airstream and a Shasta. It's a no brainer. It's a must have.
You may want one trailer to be original, and one to remodel the way you want for the way you use it. You may want a back up while the other is having work done. You may want one for wild friends to spend the night in. Am I making any sense here? Yes I have an Airstream...No I don't have a Shasta....but I'm looking. I want a trailer that is easy to work on that I won't be afraid of screwing up. Ooops I forgot, I spent all my cash on my Airstream.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:56 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
Punxsutawney , Pennsylvania
Airstream vs. Shasta (or Scotty)

Simple! Get 'em both!

Seriously, though ...I own Airstreams and a vintage Scotty. Both trailers are "cool" old trailers that attract attention. Shasta, Scotty and Airstream all share that retro cool look. They all will provide hours of fun and enjoyment. I've enjoyed campouts with Airstreamers and Scotty people and had a great time with both groups. As far as the trailer goes, the Airstream is miles and miles ahead of the Scotty in terms of construction and quality, A Scotty, or a Shasta was a cheap light weight trailer. They were constructed fairly well, but the wooden construction and leaking aluminum skin inevitably causes significant rot. An Airstream is an expensive high quality light weight trailer and if well cared for will hold up far better than other vintage trailers. When we were originally looking for a used trailer in 1988, we looked at used Scotty, Shasta, and other brands. Every one of them smelled of rotten wood. The first trailer I looked at that didn't have any obvious water stains and rotten wood was a 17 year old Airstream Globe Trotter. It was the oldest trailer we looked at but was in the best condition of all. I bought the Airstream and it has held up very well through 21 years and 5 children. It cost me twice as much as any other trailer I was looking at. It was one of the best buys I ever made. After all these years, I could sell it for twice as much as I paid for it.

A few years ago a bought a 1963 Airstream to restore and use as a "camp" on my property. It's been to several Airstream rallies too. It suffered from years of neglect with windows and doors open to the rain. It has some rot, but it's still useable. I did not do a floor replacement or a major disassembly. The trailer is so well built that it works OK even though it is somewhat compromised by some rotten floor (which I fixed in a half -baked manner).

Last year I bought a 1969 Scotty Sportsman 13 foot Gaucho....just for the fun of having a trailer smaller than Airstream ever made. I've had fun restoring it, and it was fun camping in it. It's no match for my Airstream, though. I like the bathroom in my Airstream and I like the way the Airstream tows. In reality, I don't get significantly better gas mile towing the 1000 pound Scotty than I do towing a 3200 pound Airstream ....or a 4000 pound Airstream. I can tow a Scotty with a 4 cylinder car, however, and I can't do that with an Airstream. I expect my Airstream will be around long after I am dead. I'm not sure the Scotty will make it as long as I do! My Dad's Shasta needed roofing tar every year it seemed. My Airstream doesn't leak anywhere where I can see it.

Hope this helps!

MARC
mweimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:46 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
If you want to spend more money there is a new Shasta available. We checked them out at the Toronto RV show. Not Bad.

Coachmen RV - Travel Trailers - Shasta

Those new Shastas ARE kind of nice. The only problem is they are all electric which means no hot water, stove or refrigeration unless plugged in. A big mistake IMHO. Especially bad if you boondock at all.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:58 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Streamer View Post
Those new Shastas ARE kind of nice. The only problem is they are all electric which means no hot water, stove or refrigeration unless plugged in. A big mistake IMHO. Especially bad if you boondock at all.
Yeah - and the construction is pure crap! Look under the burners (no oven).

Paula
Old 03-04-2009, 08:42 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Here's what I'd do: first, take wife to an Airstream rally. There are dozens of these every year. Have her look at the incredible range of interiors, modifications, ages, etc. EVERYONE will want you to tour their rigs, offer you a drink, expound on the virtues, etc. (let them be the salespeople!). If you want to be totally overwhelmed, go visit the annual WBCCI national rally this summer in Wisconsin, where there'll be hundreds of Airstreams.

Next, take your wife to a Shasta rally. There are actually a few. Snoop around there too.

By the time you're done, your mind will have made itself up, as will hers. (Hope you both come out the same way!) Good luck!
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:19 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Oceanside , California
My wife and I wanted a vintage Shasta at one time. We love those wings! Once we looked at a few trailers, we could see that the quality difference was astounding. The Airstream is the better trailer, but is priced accordingly.
pauly g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:35 AM   #17
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
This is a choice that really boils down to two things; first, what do you really want to do with the trailer, and second, what style are you after. Believe it or not, there are folks in this world who are just put off by Airstreams. They don't like the look, the aluminum, or the shape... you won't find those folks here, but I've met a number of them over the years. Hopefully, your wife isn't one of them!

I don't have to be an Airstream salesman, there are plenty of others in the thread who can do that... but if you're wife's one of those folks, buying an Airstream will be a miserable experience for both of you. And fortunately, for those folks who want quality, but not Airstream, there are other options today.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:01 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Streamer View Post
Those new Shastas ARE kind of nice. The only problem is they are all electric which means no hot water, stove or refrigeration unless plugged in.
They are introducing a larger model with propane; not sure if the shorter model will also get a propane system. The Shasta dealer I talked to just shook his head when talking about the lack of propane; it seems to have made the trailers hard to sell.

The lousy interior finish - even compared to the so-so "standard of excellence" that exists in the RV world - is also a turn-off.

But I'm not convinced it's harder to find an old Shasta than an old Bambi. Plus, Shastas sell for a lot less money. There always seem to be a few for sale on the Tin Can Tourists website.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:09 AM   #19
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Or you could go with a trailer built better than either one of them; here's a nice example currently for sale in California:

1970 Silver Streak trailer

There are other small tandem-axle Silver Streaks, Streamlines and Avions out there, too. None, though, as nice as this one.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:22 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
My parents '59 Shasta is what got me into Airstream's later in life. This shot is from our trip out west in '64. This is from the Badlands.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	badlands.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	857.9 KB
ID:	76470  

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
https://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote