Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-07-2016, 07:21 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Currently Looking...
Antes Fort , Pennsylvania
RV transport vs truck purchase

It occurs to me that it might make more economic sense for full timers to use the services of a commercial RV transporter as opposed to buying a truck. Especially if one only wants to move infrequently. Lets say, one trip down south, one trip out west, and another trip up north per year. Money saved could be used for the purchase of a larger Airstream and a fun car like a Mazda Miata convertible. Insurance would be less also. Any feedback?
alphamale49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:25 AM   #2
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
That is a novel idea. As you say depending on the number of moves it may make sense. I would guess that is planned on $2/mile, no idea what the pro transport companies charge, you could do some math. And with the vast concentration of manufacturers in the Jackson Center/Elkhart, IN area there has to be a lot of deadheading transports heading back after doing a delivery. Might find that the cost is even less.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Sounds like a good business opportunity for someone. Most of the full-timers I know move around quite a bit, though, so we want our own tow vehicles. Snowbirds, though, might be interested.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I sold an Avion to someone in Great Britain. He hired a transporter. This man had a three quarter ton truck with multiple hitches. He backed up, dropped the trailer on the ball and hauled butt. I guess it got to the port okay, never heard. Trailer wasn't level and rear bumper was close to the ground. I asked if I needed to sign anything, he said if I got my payment then he wasn't concerned. He said it was now responsibility of the expediting company. So be careful who you hire. This man really knew his business, but I would have asked him to at least level the trailer. Not exactly your situation.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:22 AM   #5
yuppie cowboy

2012 30' Classic
Star , Idaho
I am a transporter with 3 million liab 100.000 cargo ins. I happen to also be a riveter. Plan on 1.85 per loaded mile. This is done more frequently then most people think.
larrykling1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:07 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
Rocky Mount , North Carolina
We are older and no longer think towing is for us

So we have two trailers. One in PA; one in Myrtle Beach. The one in PA is in a permanent site. We had an RV dealer tow it from NW Ohio to NW PA. I think it was about $600 dollars. The trucker moves trailers for a living. Very professional. Round trip it was an all day affair for him. The trailer was put in a temporary site for a week. The campground owner moved it into its permanent site.
Last winter our A/S was on the beach in a lovely campground in Myrtle Beach. It was moved in September to the storage/RV repair/dealer by that company for $40. Storage is about $50 a month.
If you have seen the cost of new trucks... And like I said towing at our age is no longer for us. But, we are full-timing in our own way. This works for us. We are sitting here tonite in this exquisite campground. There is no sound but the crickets. Not bad for a Saturday nite.
Sunnysideup is offline   Reply With Quote