Old 08-04-2019, 10:52 AM   #61
3 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Port Angeles , Washington
Has anyone retrofit with this system, Ultraheat?
https://www.ultraheat.com/retrofit-tanks-with-ultraheat

Llittle54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 10:44 PM   #62
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Cheyenne , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
Oliver's are extremely well made and a real four season camper.

https://olivertraveltrailers.com

I toured one an acquaintance had and was impressed at the quality and solidness of the trailer - it is what Airstream claims to be. Top price new for a 21' is close to $65K. You'll rarely find a used one for sale.
I have researched both Oliver trailers and the BigFoot. Both are true four season trailers, but I donít believe the Oliver has an on board generator option. The Bigfoot does. In addition the double axle Bigfoot will fit in my garage. The double axle Oliver is just a few inches too long.

I need to check them both out in person to be sure, but most likely will get a Bigfoot in the future for the two reasons mentioned.

Isab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:49 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llittle54 View Post
Has anyone retrofit with this system, Ultraheat?
https://www.ultraheat.com/retrofit-tanks-with-ultraheat
We installed Ultraheat devices on our exposed gray- and blackwater drains and valves and on our freshwater water inlet which is exposed on our trailer. Keeping the inside of the trailer warm with the furnace keeps the tanks from freezing.

The Ultraheat devices are 12V, but pull quite a few amps, so we only use them when hooked up to shore power.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 11:40 AM   #64
3 Rivet Member

Fair Oaks Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isab View Post
I have researched both Oliver trailers and the BigFoot. Both are true four season trailers, but I donít believe the Oliver has an on board generator option. The Bigfoot does. In addition the double axle Bigfoot will fit in my garage. The double axle Oliver is just a few inches too long.

I need to check them both out in person to be sure, but most likely will get a Bigfoot in the future for the two reasons mentioned.
Oliver does not have an onboard generator option. I carry a 2000W Champion (very quiet and 38 lbs). The trailer is 7í wide and 23.5í from the hitch to the back bumper.
2016 Oliver Legacy Elite II #135
2020 Ram Rebel 5.7L
MikeandCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 01:49 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
What a great number of posts. Good variety and enough for anyone to get some ideas.

The learning curve is difficult. It is more difficult if you travel with WATER in the tanks, as they become sliding sledge hammers in your tanks if they freeze up. The tanks are not designed to handle ice impacts..

Also water in the lines. Open the valves just to be safe. Do not hook up to water unless you expect weather not to get below freezing.

If you have hookups... be careful as some have said. This is why the Forum is great. Lots of advice and plenty information to get started!
Old 08-15-2019, 07:22 AM   #66
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Butler , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsedogcat5 View Post
Snow is a perfect insulator and I am always so happy when it builds up to the walls of the trailer and stays on the roof. I have great photos, but its impossible to figure out how to post them.
Agree. I spent time in Alaska during my time in the military and attended a two week Arctic survival school coupled with many winter training exercises. Snow is a wonderful insulator. I used piles of fresh powder when I built my A-frame survival shelter in the woods of ncentral Alaska during the winter of 87. I survived with nothing more than a candle for heat and an Arctic sleeping bag.

Condensation is your enemy in the cold. If you can run a dehumidifier for those who use non-Alde heaters, you will be much more comfortable.

Don't be concerned about condensation on the outside of your trailer. I saw a comment about if you have condensation on the outside, it will be on the inside. This isn't necessarily accurate.
RussRamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 10:23 AM   #67
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Even with the Alde, if you have enough warm puffing bodies (human or animal) in the trailer, it will get moist. Toss in things like cooking and washing, it gets even more moist. With a couple of people and a couple dogs in the trailer, you will spend time each morning mopping the windows if it's below freezing out .... I have data on this

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:49 AM   #68
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Butler , Pennsylvania
Interesting. I've never had a problem when in relatively cold temperatures. Maybe I'm not breathing when I am sleep. ��
Old 12-20-2019, 09:22 AM   #69
3 Rivet Member

Sheridan , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camano20 View Post
We are also in Northwest Washington. Usually spend 3 or 4 nights at Fort Casey in Mid November and again in February though last February we got snowed out of the trip and didn't go until March. Just get a power and water site and bring a ceramic heater. We typically only use the furnace first thing in the morning to take the chill off. Once the trailer warms up the electric heater does the job. These are usually our last and first trips of the year. We have friends who own a SOB that spent 1 week a month at Fort Casey this year so actually stayed in December and January. ( they also missed February because of the snow) We also keep the vent cracked unless the wind is high or it is raining hard. It is possible to camp almost year around here in Western Washington, though you may have to blow out your water lines if the forecast shows freezing weather Enjoy your trailer
We have reservation at Fort Casey and Deception Pass mid June 2020. Making a cross country trip starting in Wyoming. Do you have any recommendations on things to do on the island?
Thanks
Airabel
Airabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 03:36 PM   #70
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Butler , Pennsylvania
Airstream Classic with Alde hydronic heating and Alde Flow is a four season trailer. I'm on winter #3 full-timing. It works and works well.
Old 12-21-2019, 10:39 PM   #71
The Silver TARDIS

2018 30' Classic
Gray Court , South Carolina
2018 Classic 30 with Alde and we run a dehumidifier at night and use Mattress Insiders under the mattresses to avoid moisture. We get plenty of moisture on the inside of the windows, especially in the bedroom. We're in the Airstream year round but the coldest we've seen is 17F so we're not getting to extremes.
BlueOx SwayPro 1506
Kevinshortnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 06:19 AM   #72
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Butler , Pennsylvania
17f is cold. Iíve noticed some moisture buildup this winter in northern VA. Iíve got two small dehumidifiers running round the clock and also will ventilate the entire trailer every couple days or so. Right now, Iím down to 40% humidity inside my trailer.

Keeping a constant warmer temperature inside allows the dehumidifiers to extract more of the humidity it seems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C850ED29-2BC1-45C4-8D4A-76995695213B.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	358097  
Old 12-23-2019, 07:29 AM   #73
Site Team

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussRamz View Post
...Keeping a constant warmer temperature inside allows the dehumidifiers to extract more of the humidity it seems.

Yes indeed. Compressor-driven dehumidifiers, especially the smaller ones we can comfortably fit into our Airstreams, struggle to remove moisture as temps inside the trailer fall. Thus, warmer temps inside the trailer make it easier to dry it out, though conversely those warmer temps can also cause more interior condensation. Just one of the many not-so-fun things one gets to deal with as exterior temps decline, since the in-wall insulation is inadequate and the windows are all single-pane.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 08:52 AM   #74
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , ON Canada
EcoSeb Desiccant Dehumidifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussRamz View Post
17f is cold. Iíve noticed some moisture buildup this winter in northern VA. Iíve got two small dehumidifiers running round the clock and also will ventilate the entire trailer every couple days or so. Right now, Iím down to 40% humidity inside my trailer.

Keeping a constant warmer temperature inside allows the dehumidifiers to extract more of the humidity it seems.
We use the EcoSeb DD122EA desiccant dehumidifier. It is samlll and much quieter than most compressor models. It also works down to a much lower temperature too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	EcoSeb DD122EA.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	358099
Old 09-03-2020, 09:08 PM   #75
2 Rivet Member

Williamsburg , Virginia
I am glad to hear this. Brand new Bambi 16RB just me and dog - delivery Oct 1 - plan to FT - yes - in colder climates. SD etc. maybe a bit south if I cannot handle this winter worrying about the Bambi. I don’t mind doing extra things to make it work. Not at all. I just want to stay positive and learn what I will have to do. N00b, to RVs, in case that isn’t obvious. :-)
SheriMICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 08:50 AM   #76
Site Team

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We found that a small standard compressor dehumidifier worked very well for us. Since they aren't 100% efficient, they contribute some warmth as they operate, and as long as you keep temps no lower than the upper 50's, it works fine. Less efficiently as the trailer gets colder, but it still works. We read too many reviews of samill-type dehumidifiers not working at all to go in that direction. Sure you can hear the fan, but it didn't bother us one bit.

In the end, your money, your choice, go for it.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 09:19 AM   #77
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Basecamp
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alreddawg19 View Post
Yeah I think we would only camp in the winter when the highs are in the upper 40s at the minimum.

Mostly we are thinking about camping near the coast or islands around the Seattle area. (Fort Casey, Fort Flagler, etc...)

Other than killing the propane tank, should I worry about anything else if the temp gets above freezing and in the 40s during the day or should I still take extra precaution.

Ditto for us in Oregon. We are getting a basecamp. Thanks for starting this question for us newbies.
LaRoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 09:23 AM   #78
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Basecamp
Eugene , Oregon
Thanks. Lots of the replies mention dehumidifiers and little heaters, so I guess Boondocking is kind of out in the winter. Luckily lots of coast campgrounds seem to at least offer power.
LaRoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 04:31 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
If you can get a propane company to furnish you with a 100 to 250 lb tank and refill it on a schedule that would be nice. Some campgrounds do not allow oversized tanks, so always have a few spares 20s in case you run out at night.