Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Cross plains , Indiana
New here; new to A.S. City water?

Ok long story short always loved and wanted an Airstream. Finally got one in good condition 1977 Overlander. Want to make it a permanent guest house and escape pad.

I plan city water hook up warm months tank cold. I hooked up city today and had it for a minute out of kitchen but not bathroom then nothing but air. The hot water fills if I take the drain plug out it will just go right to it and nowhere else. I alternated turning off both valve nothing. There is a water pressure reg. In line I am wandering if it is bypassing. I am new to airstreams and rv's in general. After this it is electric. Thanks for help. Jeff
jubei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:11 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

First I would check all of the water supply valves, and make sure that they are open. Many times on vintage Airstreams, prior owners have done some custom plumbing work. Expect the bizarre.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Cross plains , Indiana
Thanks glad to be here especially since it is because I finally have an Airstream all my own. Good idea looking for added valves. I am curious as to why the kitchen faucet ran well then a bunch if air then nothing. There is no electric hooked up yet. So no pump to bypass. Can't wait till she is habitable. Water electric gas can wait.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
Same thing happened to me. Check your remove the airators prior to your next try as well! One never knows.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:33 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Cross plains , Indiana
Airators?
Old 04-15-2012, 06:59 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
Faucet aerators, or on an Airstream, airator. Mine clogged instantly with junk when I first filled the water tank and turned on the water pump. I thought I had serious problems until I removed the aerators off the faucets. A clogged aerator will impede and even block the flow of water, even using cityconnection.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
The aerator is the screen on the faucet. Generally the last half-inch or so of the faucet unscrews. Turn the water off, then unscrew the aerator. You may get some gunky water coming out, but with the pump off there won't be much pressure there. After the aerator is off, turn the water on and see what happens. You may find yourself transferring the gunk from the faucet to the drain trap, but at least you will have water coming into the sink.

Generally, you will find an aerator on both the kitchen and bathroom sinks. Shower heads and tub faucets generally don't have them. Sometimes you may have to use more than finger strength to loosen the aerator. I generally wrap it with electrical tape just because I have plenty of that here and then use a pliers. It won't take much effort to break the aerator loose. As I said, often you can just use finger strength to do it.

Enjoy your new coach!
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote