Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-11-2015, 12:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Aston , Pennsylvania
Max Height of gear in truck bed - need advice

I have an opportunity to purchase a Truck Vault drawer and cargo glide complete system for my Ram 2500. I have a truck cap. If the system is installed I will have 19" of vertical room between the cargo glide top deck and the opening of the rear hatch. I just looked at the specs on my generator and its 17.9" tall (close but it'll fit).

I'll be taking the remainder of 2015 off for a cross country trip, but I don't know all the gear that I'll need yet. It seems kind of limiting to only have 19" of height in the back of my truck but the drawer systems will lock up all the valuables I'm taking with me. I'm trying to think of generic accessories that would be stored in the covered truck bed that would exceed 19" in height. I know a 30 lb propane bottle is 24" in height, but that can go in the crew cab while in transit to get filled (or on its side if allowed).

Any must have accessories that go in the truck bed that exceed 19" in height that I should know about?

(the image is close to what I would be getting)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	truck-vault.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	321.9 KB
ID:	232189  
BASE729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:05 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASE729 View Post
I know a 30 lb propane bottle is 24" in height, but that can go in the crew cab while in transit to get filled (or on its side if allowed).
I would not carry portable cylinders on their sides, full or empty. Upright only.

You could get a 20-pound cylinder as a spare, that should fit in the space available.

Just about anything you carry in the truck can be laid on its side, except containers of liquids and your generator— which is also a container of liquid in the form of its gas tank— that will need to be upright to prevent spillage.