Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-13-2008, 09:07 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Internet On The Road

Know this has been covered several times but I've never seen this service mentioned so thought I'd start a new thread.

Product & Service › Autonet Mobile

Service is called Autonet. They offer 2 monthly plans per their website - 29 and 59 bucks a month depending on how heavy your use is. I understand the router costs about 500 bucks up front. Sounds pretty good but has anyone actually used it?

For the conspiracy theorists: I know absolutely nothing about this company and am not connected to them in any way. This is being posted for info only since I thought it might be of interest. I'm particularly interested in seeing if anyone has used this service and what their experience has been.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 10:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
It uses cell towers by the looks of it ... you can get a Verizon set up for about that price less the $500.00 as their usb stick it about $50 or less depending.... Although with autonet you can hook up more than one computer... Which I doubt anyone here really needs to do....

and I'll be damed when my kids are older if I'm gonna let them sit in the back on the computers while on vacation.....

I didn't have it. so why do they need it.... I know I'm a mean dad... But I want my kids to think for themselves and play out side...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 10:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
I tried Verizon - it stunk - and you cannot get a monthly plan for I-net only for 29 bucks a month.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:13 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
But if it uses cell towers It's gonna be the same a Verizon, unless they have a deal to piggy back other cell companies?????? And $500 for the hardware is steep... Unless you are always on the road...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 10:22 AM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I have a Verison air card that my company foots the bill for. They pay $59 per month for unlimited use. I have used the card many times and have been very satisfied with the service.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 10:42 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
that may be unlimited for business or you're grandfathered but for new/personal, it has limits.

if you can bluetooth from computer to phone, you can do a month to month for the aircard price. or so they say, i was also told i could do data transfer but when i went to sign up, that was grandfathered too and no available, at $20. a month no less!.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 11:34 AM   #7
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
...They pay $59 per month for unlimited use...
there are NO unlimited plans, and there haven't been any.

sprint's limit is now 5 gb too, and much of the recent reporting suggests they ALL will be using tiered pricing soon.

originally the V plan was called unlimited, but in the fine print said...

'those exceeding 5 gb/ month would be terminated withOUT notification'...

NOW that plan has dropped the 'unlimited' wording completely and the automatic cut-offs too.

instead it's referred to as the 5 gb plan. IF a user goes over that limit they are charged 0.25$ per 1 mb? over, i think.

V also now has a lower priced plan (39$) with a 50 mb limit which is plenty for JUST email.

the o.p. link IS using cell towers, and as always the coverage maps largely determine what vendor is ideal 4 each of us.

a V card (in a mac) can be used for 'multiple computers' either by apple sharing or my plugging a router INTO the mac...

a V card can also be used with some wireless routers (direct plug in) to create a local V hotspot...

the V card continues to amaze me at how well it works and how available signals are...

tweak the coverage/signal with a wilson amplifier and antenna for even better connections.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 12:42 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
We had Verizon, dumped it (at a large $175.00 charge) since so many areas have free
wi-fi (pizza joints, etc.). Most RV parks have wi-fi now.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 12:51 PM   #9
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post

tweak the coverage/signal with a wilson amplifier and antenna for even better connections.

cheers
2air'
Hey, tell us more about that, which ones are good and what's the setup etc.

I use a V card ans it's great but sometimes slows in fringe areas

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 01:15 PM   #10
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets View Post
Hey, tell us more about that, which ones are good and what's the setup etc.

I use a V card ans it's great but sometimes slows in fringe areas
hi bob

this is the vendor i purchased from, but others have the stuff now.

3Gstore.com

here is their antenna and booster section...

Booster-Antenna.com

i've got the big 'trucker' antenna on the 'stream and a small magnetic one for the truck...

the wilson amp is as mobile as the laptop.

these threads cover this info in more detail...it's good stuff!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...rds-42538.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f452...ter-37656.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/show...5&postcount=27

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:21 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
As a matter of fact I am a fulltimer. I tried Verizon a year or so ago when they had a supposedly try it for a month free. Kept the unit for 27 days and during that time I had exactly 2 days when I was able to get good I-net service. Spent 5 days right next door to Charleston, SC and during the entire time I was there doubt I had 3 hours when I had even marginal service. To make a long story short I turned the stuff back in and after assuring me at the start that there would be absolutely no charge if it was turned back in before the month was up they then sent me a bill for 73 bucks. I called and talked to them and was told it would be taken care of but instead they turned it over to a collection agency - I told them that for the first time in my life I would not pay the bill and I haven't. As far as I'm concerned Verizon stinks and given my experience I have trouble believing some of the claims I hear from people about the great service. Don't get me wrong - I'm well aware that there is not 100% country wide coverage. But 5 days next to a city as big as Charleston and virtually no service - something is rotten in Verizon Land.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:25 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We use Alltel's aircard...it's been pretty go for the most part (without a booster, etc)...there have been a few places where it didn't work well or we had a weak signal, but that's going to happen here and there. Generally, when we can get a cell signal, we can get a broadband signal as well. We have unlimited use...and as far as I know that has not changed since I signed up.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 01:33 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
We had Verizon, dumped it (at a large $175.00 charge) since so many areas have free
We had Verizon, too. We dumped it when my PC laptop died, and when I went to get a new card for my Mac, they refused to give me any kind of trade-in or discount on the new card (unlike all the discounts they offer to suck you in!)....the new card was close to $300. I decided to pay the $175 early termination charge, and I don't regret it for a second....a lesson learned! There are many places that offer free WiFi....restaurants, libraries, and even the Borrego Springs Chamber of Commerce office! There are also places, like $tarbuck$, that offer WiFi for a niminal fee....the advantage there is that they are found everywhere!

I would love to have WiFi in our Airstream like we have at home....but, currently the providers just want too many $$$$ for it.

Thanks for starting this thread, Al - K4GLU....I was hoping there might be something new out there!

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 09-13-2008, 01:38 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Best to use wifi when possible (little to no cost) and/or most libraries have computer access - best for paying bills online (don't use wifi to pay bills} Works for Me.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 01:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Aircard

We have been using a ATT aircard for going on 2 years now along with ATT cell phone.Our aircard is UNLIMITED time, never have been charged over $59.I use it about 100 to 150 hr per month.
The system works ok if your cell phone works,but in Arizona there are many areas that have NO cell phone coverage and this is true with parts of Nevada and Utah.Out here some times Verizon works when ATT does not and some time ATT work when Verizon does not,so take your pick.
In some areas the down load time get very slow like a land line during peak use time.I use my same aircard on my PC at home and lap top when I travle it is my only internet connection.
I have looked at Data Storm satellite but to many $$$$ and work to set up.But does work in more areas if you can aline with satellite.But deep canyons and trees here do not make it 100%.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:53 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbler5 View Post
We had Verizon, too. We dumped it when my PC laptop died. I decided to pay the $175 early termination charge, and I don't regret it for a second....a lesson learned! Thanks for starting this thread, Al - K4GLU....I was hoping there might be something new out there!
There are no good deals.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 03:13 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
there are NO unlimited plans, and there haven't been any.
2air'
t-moble offers it

internet only plan unlimited $50.00
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 04:09 PM   #18
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU View Post
...I have trouble believing some of the claims I hear from people about the great service...5 days next to a city as big as Charleston and virtually no service - something is rotten in Verizon Land.
service or coverage? 2 different issues...

i've hand trouble with the software 2 or 3 times, and had one card that died after 5 months usage...

they shipped my a new card overnight at no cost...

tech support online is sometimes great (usa support from seattle) and sometimes not.

coverage issues can be a mystery sometimes...

last year artstream and i were camped with 200 feet of each other with the SAME verizon and wilson stuff (mac vs pc)...

he had ZERO connection and i had a juicy fat connection for 5 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbler5 View Post
...I went to get a new card for my Mac, they refused to give me any kind of trade-in or discount on the new card (unlike all the discounts they offer to suck you in!)....the new card was close to $300...
u can buy the card for 300$ WITHOUT a service contract, meaning month2month no obligation

i've been month to month with them for over a year using a v640 express 34 mac card.

recently i upgraded to the v740 card (faster, faster, faster) for UNDER 50$ for the card.

best buy had the same card at 19$ (with rebates) in the spring, with a 'list price' of 300$.

no they don't take old cards in trade, but i've got a v640 that still works GREAT, u can have it for FREE....

it's NOT a usb card however, it's an express 34 card for the mbpro line....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
We use Alltel's aircard...it's been pretty go for the most part...
verizon has/is purchasing alltel, pending approval by the feds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmini View Post
We have been using a ATT aircard for going on 2 years now along with ATT cell phone.Our aircard is UNLIMITED time, never have been charged over $59...
well "unlimited time' isn't the same thing. they still DO have limits on usage and DATA volume...

here is a link to the att offerings, WHICH PLAN HAS UNLIMITED DATA/USAGE ??

Available Data Rate Plans | AT&T wireless services

of course with a really slow connection it could take 100s of hours to reach those data limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
t-moble offers it... internet only plan unlimited $50.00
have you tried downloading software, movies, video, streaming or other large data/bandwidth needs?

has T now built a true 3g network or are they still using enhanced gprs networks?

last time i checked tincan-string-tincan phones were still free and with unlimited time/data/usage too...

so along with finding ideal coverage-plans, it's important to know what sort of connection/speed and data handling is used.

here's some light reading for those that need to sort out the issues, terms and players....

T-Mobile Holds Up Free Broadband Plan

Broadband Boom May Be Over

Verizon in a position to dictate data limits

U.S. Broadband Speeds Too Darn Slow; Adoption Hits 7-Year Low

Welcome to TechNewsWorld

Guide to Mobile Broadband

cheers
2air'

Old 09-14-2008, 08:22 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
This is true and rest stops too,small town libraries even barbershops. We have a Macbook with Airport and don't have any problems connecting.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 09:37 AM   #20
vox
1 Rivet Member

wifi is best if one is careful. Best to use a dedicated computer without private files on it and be very careful about banking. wifi connections are very easily hacked even if you have it locked.

Having said that I have an old fujitsu tablet that has full windows 98 on it and hand writing recognition. It can be hooked up to regular keyboard and monitor when back in the camper. Through the usb and pcm ports you can hook it up most any way. Lighter than a regular laptop and more robust as they were produced for business use in the field. A new toy is the ipod touch.Apart from music and video it can go to the net by wifi and weighs just ounces and fits in a shirt pocket. Drift by any Starbucks and you get 2 hours a day free up here for any coffee card of their's. Have several coffee cards and they are good for 2 hours each with minimal balance so basically connection is free. No need to pay at all unless one is doing business on the road and need a continual , secure link. The smallest memory touch is about 275.00 new in Canada and I see them second hand already for around 150. The largest is 32 megs and is about double those prices. I have heard that geeks can hack them and turn them into iphones too. A regular iphone with runs about 1000 but should drop very soon as there is some good competition coming after them.
vox is offline   Reply With Quote