Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2021, 12:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
I need my morning Espresso!!

We're 3 weeks into our new life of full time in our Flying Cloud.
Everything is going smooth except my morning routine of a nice espresso. I've been using just the stovetop espresso make but not really enjoying my morning joe.
Has anyone had any success with Aeropress or Minipress? Or should I just switch to a coffee
TIA,
~manny
Streamerdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 12:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I use an Aeropress. It's fantastic. I think it makes the best cup of espresso or Americano that I've ever had. I bought it to use in the Airstream, but I'm now going to buy one for my home.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 12:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Morning coffee is waaaaaay too important to not have exactly what you want.

Time for a new toy.

Maggie
Old 06-17-2021, 01:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum.

FYI The Stella's Kitchen forum . . .

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f484/

. . . and other sub-forums have lots of posts on espresso etc.:

https://www.google.com/search?q=espr...4dUDCBA&uact=5
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f48...ad-217631.html
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f48...ne-173275.html

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 01:15 PM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I completely agree. If the coffee's not right, the day is going downhill from there

We like fresh ground beans. It goes into a Melita filter / drip setup. Not quite as good as the Jura at home, but plenty good enough. If I did the Aeropress, I'd probably go for the paper filters. They look like they would make cleanup easier. Easier cleanup means less water and we always seem to worry about that.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 02:00 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Roseville , California
This is my kind of discussion! I actually bought our Nespresso Pixie espresso machine before we picked up our trailer from the dealer back in 2012. In fact, the color of the Pixie became our trailer’s accent color.

So I have four ways to make espresso at any time and I normally choose which to use based on conditions.

If we have hookups I predominantly use the Nespresso. Amazing shots every time and very convenient with the multiple pod types.

When bookdocking I will often start with the Aeropress for my first triple shot of the day and then transition to the Nespresso after the inverter is on or when the generator is on (I initially bought our first generator to power the Nespresso). I agree, however, that the Aeropress makes an amazing coffee!

I also have a Moka pot for use on the stove top. I mainly use it for mid-afternoon “pick-me-ups”.

I then have the 12 volt, handheld Handpresso. It also makes a great shot but it uses Illy pods which are not as readily available in stores in some areas.

My wife is happy with either a French press or pour-over. In our arrangement with assigned duties, coffee is my job so I want to have my bases covered!
Zymurbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 02:05 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
San Francisco , California
Strongly recommend the Aeropress. I used it as my primary coffee making method for about a year at home before upgrading to a full size espresso maker.

Has the advantage of being inexpensive as well as delicious!
XCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 02:18 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' International
La Mesa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurbrian View Post
This is my kind of discussion! I actually bought our Nespresso Pixie espresso machine before we picked up our trailer from the dealer back in 2012. In fact, the color of the Pixie became our trailer’s accent color.
Definitely love and suggest a Nespresso maker to folks who don't mind a power option! Easy, fast and consistent. Plus the pods are light weight and easy to store.

Aeropress can make great espresso like coffee, but I have found it a can be a bit of a mess at times. I do not love having to clean coffee grounds out of things when I am camping/ RVing.

We tried the coffee brew buddy option that Tails of Wanderlust uses, but again I found them to be messy with the grounds.

In the past we have largely used pour over with a filter and that is generally our favorite way to drink coffee. But I am considering getting this option
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ENK41Q6...v_ov_lig_dp_it

For espresso I think your best options are a Nespresso maker (Maybe Amazon prime day will have one on sale?!) or the Aeropress. And good luck, coffee is the best part of the day and is too important to not completely enjoy your cup!
DustyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 02:28 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
Currently Looking...
New Hill , Arizona
Jura Capresso pixie
naknc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 03:49 PM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by naknc View Post
Jura Capresso pixie
Hi

Is that this:

https://www.capresso.com/coffee-makers/on-the-go.html

or an enchanted fairy that shuttles the hot coffee to you from your home machine. If it's the fairy, where do I place my order?

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 03:57 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
I will use a bialetti stovetop moka if we are without electric.
Heat the milk on the stovetop, and use a battery frother.
Perfectly delish, but takes time and cleanup is involved.

But now that I have the nespresso and electric frother, I use that primarily. Much faster and no mess.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:51 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Newport , Washington
We will “rough it” in many ways but really crave our afternoon cappuccino. While many of the aforementioned products may make good espresso they don’t froth milk so we just picked up a DeLonghi Dedica Deluxe. It not only makes great espresso and americanos but froths milk perfectly for lattes and cappuccinos. And it’s only 6” wide so it fits nicely in out little 19’ FC.

2018 Flying Cloud 19
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Diesel
KelloggKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 06:08 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
Currently Looking...
New Hill , Arizona
This is it:

https://www.amazon.com/Jura-Ultra-Co...60863337&psc=1
Old 06-17-2021, 06:11 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
Currently Looking...
New Hill , Arizona
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0206.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	397656
Old 06-17-2021, 06:15 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
Currently Looking...
New Hill , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Is that this:

https://www.capresso.com/coffee-makers/on-the-go.html

or an enchanted fairy that shuttles the hot coffee to you from your home machine. If it's the fairy, where do I place my order?

Bob

We’ll be in VA Beach and Lewes Delaware next week for a Lax tournament. Feel free to stop by for some Counter Culture Big Trouble beans - as much as you like!
Old 06-17-2021, 09:35 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
no generator needed

The Nespresso Pixie works fine on the inverter. Frothing milk we use the stove for heat and a frothing attachment in a stainless frothing pot. Pleased that we don't need the generator as long as not much else is running.

RE: the Nespresso - DW took a bunch of students to Europe and came back craving real espresso. Wandering through Sur le Table between flights in Seattle and I hear her exclaim "This is it!" Walked around the corner clutching my wallet for protection and was relieved to see the relatively diminutive price tag and size compared to most others in the store. 15 years on we are still enjoying the system.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:41 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjshier View Post
The Nespresso Pixie works fine on the inverter. Frothing milk we use the stove for heat and a frothing attachment in a stainless frothing pot. Pleased that we don't need the generator as long as not much else is running.

RE: the Nespresso - DW took a bunch of students to Europe and came back craving real espresso. Wandering through Sur le Table between flights in Seattle and I hear her exclaim "This is it!" Walked around the corner clutching my wallet for protection and was relieved to see the relatively diminutive price tag and size compared to most others in the store. 15 years on we are still enjoying the system.
We go with the ROK and the Haro grinder for fresh ground beans...then do the frothing pot for milk after we heat the milk on the stove..... Pretty darn close to the Salvatore machine and grinder we have at home.
I still bring bottles of Guittard ground chocolate in squeeze bottles from the big ones at home.
Works for us....
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 10:16 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Roseville , California
For frothing, I have used many tools but the Nespresso Aeroccino produces quite simply the best froth I have ever had! On many boondocking mornings I will make my espresso with my Aeropress and use the Aeroccino for the froth using the inverter. Perfect use of resources.
Zymurbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:27 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
We use a Saeco Vapore XSmall superautomatic. It makes great cappuccinos, but you need to have hookups, a generator, or an upgraded inverter and batteries to use it. It seems like they’ve discontinued it though and I’m not sure what it’s successor is.
AKNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:33 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKNate View Post
We use a Saeco Vapore XSmall superautomatic. It makes great cappuccinos, but you need to have hookups, a generator, or an upgraded inverter and batteries to use it. It seems like they’ve discontinued it though and I’m not sure what it’s successor is.

Hmm, the forums app seems to take over my link and redirect it to a bunch of ad stuff, which then breaks it and leaves you at a generic Philips page.
AKNate is offline   Reply With Quote