Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2016, 07:34 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Buffalo , New York
Hypothetical: Airstream as "Modular" Tiny House Living

So, I've been toying with the idea of ways to legitimize an AS purchase, while facing the fact that I don't even have a mortgage/own a home. Then I started thinking, why can't an AS be both (aside from the obvious: trailers depreciate, and homes *typically* don't)? This also speaks to my minimalist nature.

I have a (retired) friend that currently lives in a fifth-wheel in a community trailer/camping park in Florida for 6 months of the year, and works/stays at a campsite in NY for the other 6. I can't do that, and am confined to WNY as my home base/place of work. So, how could I make an AS be a full-time home in the blizzarding wintery months? I'm thinking a custom built "house" could be the answer.

The house would basically be:
First "Floor"
- Garage for AS, with water/sewer/electric hook-ups; heated
- Glass garage doors at each end to allow for full view from the AS wraparound windows; also provides backyard yard access in the summer, and a hell of a cross breeze
- Windows/glass bricks on either side wall for maximum light and privacy
- Storage/utility closets/extra fridge/etc

Second Floor
- Living room
- Full guest bath
- Guest Room (maybe)
- Roof top patio with gardens

The trailer would function as a kitchen and bedroom 365 days a year, and the second floor would allow for more living/entertainment space when "home." This allows for least "waste"; not duplicating belongings between house and AS (bed, appliances, etc). I imagine backing into the driveway on any Friday afternoon, hitching up, and hauling off on a new adventure, winter or otherwise.

I am thinking zoning, and building codes would prohibit this from ever being a reality. Especially inner-city where I live. That a shame, since there's actually an 30 x 110ft empty lot in my neighborhood that I think would be perfect for the project!

Am I overthinking things? Or does anyone else think this might be a viable living situation?
mousouchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
It sounds like an interesting concept. Too bad zoning laws would probably get in the way.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Sounds like you need a park model not a travel trailer.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Welcome, mousouchop. You aren't the first one to wonder about how to have some sort of "garage" while using your Airstream as a home. Your plan may actually work with zoning ordinances, since you will have full living quarters as part of the structure.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
You would never get a building permit for it unless it was a completely code-compliant dwelling in itself, with no considerations for the Airstreams facilities. The closest you can get is a small house with a large garage for the Airstream. And the size of those may be regulated locally too.

Building codes have the premise of public safety and order, but there is a measure of protection for a lot of special interests in there as well. The effect is very destructive to creativity and individualism (usually that's a good thing, but not always).

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:52 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Buffalo , New York
Yeah, I figure codes will be the biggest issue, if not the complete undoing of this idea. I've seen tiny studio apartments in cities, and I'd like to think the "second floor" I described would be pretty comparable to one of them.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Buy the lot, build a home that'll suit your needs. Be sure to set aside room for a trailer pad so that you have a place to park when you're able to get a trailer. The trailer isn't an investment, the real estate is.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:21 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Vancouver , British Columbia
Something like this...but with an airstream.

http://www.houzz.com/photos/4330813/...xterior-austin
mixedpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:30 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I don't see how the powers that be could argue with a residence with a bathroom and a kitchenette and an attached RV garage. I would not tell them you will be using the AS for living space.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:36 PM   #10
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Not sure why you could not build a second floor apartment that would suit your needs, with a garage on the first floor. A quick conversation with a local architect should quickly answer the question. Would mean a bathroom and kitchen facility, but that allows you to rent when traveling. Some cost increase but that can be mitigated significantly. The problem might end up being objections from the neighbors if the project does not strike them as an improvement for the area. But a good design plan and landscaping might go a long way toward selling the idea. Might also be worth doing a lot layout that allowed for either building a main house in front or expanding the proposed structure into a larger home later. Would be interesting if you could designate and build the garage space as living area and put it to dual use as storage for the AS. Door design might be the challenge, but should be possible. Good luck with your investigation. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:46 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Buffalo , New York
Hmm. Yeah, the added benefit of being able to rent would certainly be a benefit; having another income stream is attractive. I suppose that's more than enough reason to build out a full house.

I liked the minimalism afforded by using the AS to facilitate some of the house's needs, but I guess it would be "silly". Would certainly make the transition from being at home to being on the road much more seamless though.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:54 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sounds like a very novel and creative idea.

The zoning ordinance issue may be with storing a travel trailer on a site zoned for residence, regardless whether you slept in it at night.

Many of us have slept in our rigs in our driveways or back yards , and how would they know or care where in your dwelling you slept.

There may be another spot in your area that could accommodate your dream.

Good luck to you.

Maggie
Old 05-05-2016, 08:01 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Anna , Texas
We have been thinking about this for a retirement home. I found lots of ideas by Googling "rv port homes." Here is one somewhat like what you are describing:

http://www.doityourselfrv.com/youll-...e-parking-rig/

There are also much fancier designs, like the Locomotive Ranch house mentioned in a post above, or this one by Lake Flato:
http://www.lakeflato.com/ranches/story-pool-house

The big question is where to build it. We've looked at buying land in the country...but are not sure we want to be that isolated. Most subdivisions, even those in the country with acreage, have problematic restrictions like dwelling size over 1500 sq ft.

Another possibility is building in a subdivision designed for RVs, like NTAC. They have house lots as well as "villas," which are covered parking pads with built in living quarters.
kcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:54 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I don't see how the powers that be could argue with a residence with a bathroom and a kitchenette and an attached RV garage. I would not tell them you will be using the AS for living space.
Some municipalities don't allow storage of RVs on your own property at all. Some only allow them to be sorted in the rear yard. Some allow garages but of a certain area and height (not big enough for a trailer). Most urban municipalities do not allow you to live in an RV stored on your property unless that property is zoned for such a use. Zoning bylaws dictate what you can and can't do with your property. Each municipality is different and it is really important that you familiarize yourself with these bylaws before getting too far ahead of yourself.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:36 AM   #15
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Certainly an idea that comes up for discussion every few months on the forum and each time the conclusion is....viability is totally down to the municipality you chose not the feasibility of doing it.

In our case we even have a plans drawn up, and pricing for a single pent roof park home based sized and based on utilizing our MH bed room. But so far we haven't found a location which hasn't already been 'zoned' to include a specified build size/functionality. Loads of lots available if you want to build your own McMansion!

martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:50 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Albertville , Minnesota
Hi We plan on doing the same thing. Probably out in the country close to where I grew up. Building for Airstream etc. Spending winters in Southwest and summers in Minnesota. Great idea!
McKinsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:51 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
We researching RV parks to store my AS, I found several that had these small "buildings" attached to a large garage. The fancier ones has a full bathroom, Washer/Dryer and kitchen, but most did not have a bedroom. It was a tiny building attached to a very large garage specifically designed to store RVs.

My wife and I considered this and we almost bought one, but it was a bit too far away for us. Nothing like that near "civilization".
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:30 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Buffalo , New York
I am seeing more and more that there are many others that have thought of the same idea (and some of the executed plans are gorgeous!).

Seems like a living situation like this is almost impossible due to zoning. I can only imagine that the same is true in my city... Seems like similar plans that were executed successfully were done in a very remote location... I'd love to have the best of both worlds-- minimal home in the inner-city, with an easy getaway to camping/a natural destination on the weekends.

I'll do a little more digging into local laws, but I'm not going to kill myself doing it. Seems like this dead horse has been beaten enough.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:35 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Kiefer , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousouchop View Post
So, I've been toying with the idea of ways to legitimize an AS purchase, while facing the fact that I don't even have a mortgage/own a home. Then I started thinking, why can't an AS be both (aside from the obvious: trailers depreciate, and homes *typically* don't)? This also speaks to my minimalist nature.

I have a (retired) friend that currently lives in a fifth-wheel in a community trailer/camping park in Florida for 6 months of the year, and works/stays at a campsite in NY for the other 6. I can't do that, and am confined to WNY as my home base/place of work. So, how could I make an AS be a full-time home in the blizzarding wintery months? I'm thinking a custom built "house" could be the answer.

The house would basically be:
First "Floor"
- Garage for AS, with water/sewer/electric hook-ups; heated
- Glass garage doors at each end to allow for full view from the AS wraparound windows; also provides backyard yard access in the summer, and a hell of a cross breeze
- Windows/glass bricks on either side wall for maximum light and privacy
- Storage/utility closets/extra fridge/etc

Second Floor
- Living room
- Full guest bath
- Guest Room (maybe)
- Roof top patio with gardens

The trailer would function as a kitchen and bedroom 365 days a year, and the second floor would allow for more living/entertainment space when "home." This allows for least "waste"; not duplicating belongings between house and AS (bed, appliances, etc). I imagine backing into the driveway on any Friday afternoon, hitching up, and hauling off on a new adventure, winter or otherwise.

I am thinking zoning, and building codes would prohibit this from ever being a reality. Especially inner-city where I live. That a shame, since there's actually an 30 x 110ft empty lot in my neighborhood that I think would be perfect for the project!

Am I overthinking things? Or does anyone else think this might be a viable living situation?
Your over thinking things. Just buy an Airstream & go from there.
Floatingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:46 AM   #20
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
Another style of community are the fly in hanger/home. Streets are wide enough to get to the runway, and a home is built into the hanger for full time residents. The HOA fees may be high to support the flyers, but you may get to live there with an RV.