Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2015, 09:40 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Almcate I like your idea and think that would be my preference. Maybe 2 acres in various states with parking pad, a shade structure, utility pedestal, a shed. It could be like your favorite camping spot but improved and always available several parts of the country for variety.

Flying Gypsies I love your triple structure and saved it to our file of potential outbuilding structures.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 06:11 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Ray, thank you for starting this thread. We are about three years from retirement & we have had many conversations about possibilities. One thing which always comes back around to doing -- just what Flying Gypsies is doing, a small piece of land with a pad/pole bldg. to cover the Airstream, a small bldg. for living space with many windows for a living room with a mud room in the rear for laundry, etc. Also, visiting guests could use this room for a bedroom & sleep on a Murphy bed or sleeper sofa, possibly another bathroom in there for the guests to use. Just thoughts.

DH doesn't want to sell our current home (which I'd love to down size), but I'm hoping to keep things small in our winter getaway.

I really enjoy reading what others are thinking about retirement and/or new lifestyles. Can't wait to read more.

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:28 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Purchasing one or more acreage locations...

My wife and I discussed this idea, purchasing empty acreage, installing power, septic, with or without natural gas, water or wired phone service. It is a very appealing thought, until you begin to figure in infrastructure, if any.

Some counties, like Douglas County, Colorado has high real estate taxes on residential real estate that is not developed. I do not know if a slab with any structure qualifies to change the tax from unimproved residential to a residential property.

Finding a small acreage in the Western USA is tough, as someone would usually have to legally break up a larger property. Although the surveying is a minimal cost, it might be a 50 year "lease" with improvements. Each area can be so different in the west.

Finding anyone who will even take on a job to even pour a slab can be a problem due to the distance from a cement plant. Of course the cost to connect to power can be very expensive. Connecting to a current water line can cost you thousands of dollars. Not several but sometimes into $25,000 or more.

Septic requires a minimum amount of property, although the least of your financial concerns. State, county, city, town and unincorporated real estate have different requirements.

I am not a Real Estate Agent, but the "dream" and "nightmare" can come in a package deal with the Devil. There are many things you need to have on a Punch List to make certain that the property owner is telling you the whole story. Best that a Realtor help you in your search and tells you up front WHAT is REQUIRED with your idea. It is worth every cent!

So do dream. We did since 2006. We looked. We learned that dreaming and reality are not the same. Just be careful as there are caveats in small parcels in nowhere and meeting codes for connecting to existing public roads and crossing private or public property. It can become a financial disaster.

Maybe someone can give an example of their experience. Nice lots can cost as much as one with a 1500 square foot home with utilities.

Just be careful and study the area(s) you want to use part time. You could own everything that you did not know was part of the package and not seen.

The newspaper is full of 35 acre "ranchettes" when a large area is cut up into individual lots. Read the fine details before signing. A slab and trailer might be #1 on the NO, no, no list of possibilities.

Flying Gypsies might add some details of what was needed for his beautiful arrangement. A dream come true, but were there any unexpected consequences?
Old 05-18-2015, 07:11 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
My wife and I discussed this idea, purchasing empty acreage, installing power, septic, with or without natural gas, water or wired phone service.

Flying Gypsies might add some details of what was needed for his beautiful arrangement. A dream come true, but were there any unexpected consequences?

Another forum member PM'd me to ask what it cost to build it as he is considering something similar...here is my reply to him:

Thanks so much- we really enjoy it. It has been a long term project, beginning 5 years ago. We have had the land for a long time but 5 years ago came up with "the plan" to make a shelter for an RV, but FIRST, the clearing of the land where we wanted it to sit. Then we brought in a mobile mill to cut the trees into usable timbers for the construction- these were then stick-ed and air dried for 4 years before they were ready to use. Meanwhile, we put in the septic system and well, so we had our own one- camper campground for a while before we built the structure last June. My husband designed it and built it with the help of two carpenters. We saw one that another Airstreamer on the forum, Tom, had built and he was generous enough to give us some of his input on how he did his. Because we had a lot of our own lumber from the land, especially the larger timbers, it is hard to guesstimate exactly how much we have in it, but any contractor should be able to look at our picture and dimensions and be able to come up with a pretty reasonable material list. Our Airstream is a 31 classic- the middle structure is 14' wide by 34' long with 1' overhang on the roof to give us 36' shade coverage. Main roof has 3/4" plywood over rafters and then titanium paper over the plywood, and 29guage steel roof fastened through- it is an 8/12 pitch because of snow. The sheds are 11' by 34'. There is no extra 1' overhang on the shed roofs. Perlins were fastened over the rafters and 29 gauge steel fastened to the perlins. Pitch on the sheds is approximately 3/12. All posts were 6" x 6". The height of the ringbeam is sufficient to allow us to put the antenna up with clearance. The only nails used on the whole project were those used to attach the titanium paper to the plywood- all other fasteners were bolts, steel brackets and screws .I hope that you have as easy a time with the permitting office as we did- my husband didn't have any plans on paper- it was all in his head and he showed them a picture of Tom's structure and said ours would look something like that- they were as impressed with it as we were -the lady at the permitting office said "WOW- That's nice!!" and handed him the permit😄 Gotta love that kind of customer service! Good luck and let us know how the project goes.

As far as problems, it has been quite easy with the permitting process here in the mountains of NC -this is NOT true everywhere. In the process now of making a laundry room/ storage shed by closing in part of the carport side.
Flying Gypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:20 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Thanks Ray and Flying Gypsies for sharing both your thoughts and facts. We have been thinking of this off and on for some time; we've even contacted Real Estate agents in the various areas which we think we might like to be.

My DH and I both have been on the Zoning Committee here in our Township, so we are aware of various rules and the fact that those rules differ from Township-to-Township, not to mention State-to-State. We do a lot of research and planning before doing most things, however, even having said that, sometimes something sneaks by you which you hadn't any idea of, so it's always nice to discuss with as many like-minded individuals as possible to get other thoughts. We are really thinking about northern Florida for a Winter place.

Flying Gypsies, I may have missed something, but the two pictures seem to be of different locations, is that right?

Thanks again, and I'm looking forward to reading more.

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:57 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Cruiser View Post
Flying Gypsies, I may have missed something, but the two pictures seem to be of different locations, is that right?

Deb

Correct- NC mountain home and Florida home. Good to have cover when bad weather moves in.
Good luck with your hunting and keep us posted on what you find!
Flying Gypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:40 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Home Hunt is ROUGH IN at best.

Had to do a walk through the rough in of our eventual retirement home. Made some corrections to misplaced outlets and some light fixtures built into the ceiling. Just the normal misreading of a Blue Print and the "this is where we thought you would want it..." situations.

Water lines. Telephone. Cable. Air Conditioning and Heating ductwork. Natural Gas. Checking the grade of the driveway for backing our trailer into its seasonal home. Plenty of thought has gone into this project!

Windows now being installed. Roofers trying to keep on the contractor's schedule.

Sheet rock stacked and waiting for the tile roofing to be stacked and put some weight onto the structure. It should tighten up the lumber quickly.

Now the clock is ticking for an early August finish date for closing. The transition from current, to seasonal, to down sizing will take a bit of time. Sometimes a change seems appealing but you must blend the old and new routines.

At present this is a "workamp" in progress. Do I run my geology book business from where it is today or move it immediately? Will a five or six month ON/OFF the world wide web be worth considering in the immediate future. Plenty of things to consider.

Considering we looked seriously at Flathead Lake in NW Montana for the longest time, but never could find that right place. Albuquerque, NM east of the Sandia Mountains but found that water was a possible problem in the future, where is was not at the Flathead Lake in Montana.

I am certain many others have to consider all of these barely obvious considerations. Taxes. Climate variables. Future growth of the area. Potential infrastructure problems in the future. Retirement community or a viable mix of young families and retired empty nesters. We took eight years, going on nine years to make these comparisons. Always a compromise in what you want and what you find that meets most of your special requirements. We did. Soon it will be reality and it was the accumulation of much debate and study between my wife and myself.

Our Airstream(s) provided the temporary housing while looking. It was a real adventure with an ultimate purpose. And yes, the day may come where our latest Airstream will no longer be part of the overall picture. As long as there are new places to explore and rocks to examine... this current Airstream will have more stories to tell and places to cross than most. The clock is ticking...
Old 06-23-2015, 02:46 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
During the summer of 2010 my wife and I talked about what life would be like when I retired in 2015. We liked SW Missouri, but weren't "married" to the property we owned. We looked a little bit at various communities as time permitted. One day one of us mentioned the idea of full-timing, and the other one had also thought about it. Long story short, we're now full-timers. Our property is scheduled to close in a couple of weeks.

One of our full-time goals is to find a place to settle down when the time comes for us to slow down. As we leave an area we talk about whether or not that area ought to be on the list of possibilities for later.

The idea of having a couple of places scattered around the country sounds good. I wonder, though, about how they will be cared for when you are somewhere else. Those Airstream-only parks sound interesting, and we may well settle on one of those. Escapees also has some parks that allow you to buy a lot, so we'll check those out, too.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:58 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Dream morphs into Home...

Nancy has been packing the "extra" towels, clothing, small appliances and what we will need when we live Split Season with two homes. There will be a big down sizing in this move, as well. Heavy furniture is exactly that and will stay when we sell our current home some day. Also no need for lawnmower, weed whacker, ATV with snow Plow, riding Lawn Mower in the process of leaving Colorado, that requires a lot of essentials to maintain a property. Chainsaw comes to mind. It stays in Colorado and the two cords of firewood stacked under tarps for those long blizzards, snow drifts at home.

One house for the "five" Winter Months and our current home for the "seven" Summer Months. Eventually the Winter Month home in progress will be our full time home. The second year will adjust the Winter/Summer schedule.

Sometimes a permanent move needs to be lived in before a final decision can be made. What seemed appealing in the process might not be. It should take at least two years of living using the Split Season Method of the best of both worlds to prepare for Full Timing at home and Part Timing in our Airstream on the road.

This time schedule does not include any seasonal Boondocking along the Rockies with our Airstream to hunt "treasure and scenery" not on a travel brochure.

Roofing tiles are now stacked on the roof, windows installed, insulation is being added and sheet rock stacked to begin the interior work once the roof is finished. Lucky for us, we are not there watching every nail and screw being applied to lumber and electrical outlets every day. Almost a no stress home build, so far by NOT watching the progress of "rough in" work. Those who have built understand "rough in" becomes a home with sheet rock applied...

And yes... the "climbing wall" was part of the package. (My photo exceeded my maximum allowed so did not attach to this post.)
Old 07-18-2015, 04:26 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International
Lake Arrowhead , California
We are following your footsteps. We purchased a 2010 International 25FB two weeks ago and we plan on looking around the west to see where we'll land. The house is paid for and will probably go on the market soon, so we're hoping California money stretches further. We really like SW Colorado, but will also be looking harder at Oregon & Washington. My only requirement is good fly fishing.

14 more Monday's to go!
Blueliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 05:53 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Your financial situation plays a big part.

Having two houses can be dream, or a financial nightmare. My situation changed and I ended up with two houses and one income. The recession, and housing market made things even worse.

#1 Twice the money tied up in real estate
#2 Twice the real estate taxes
#3 Twice the insurance
#4 Twice the maintenance.

Zoning around me prohibits living in a trailer. Even in my backwoods area, Trailers have to be 50 feet long for you to live in them.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 06:03 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Western Garden Book can help you decide...!

Today we were invited to the 75th Anniversary of the local Credit Union celebration. We are camped at a RV Park while major activities are being finished at our "Winter Home".

I was pulling large rhyolite rocks out of our future graded yard to use in a rock garden and a neighbor mentioned free food from various vendors in town and meeting those representing the Credit Union. My Wyoming tee shirt attracted those who also moved into warmer climates in retirement from Wyoming. I explained I was an "illegal immigrant from Wyoming" living in Colorado which is a regional joke to those familiar with Rocky Mountain humor.

Since my wife and I are small town people, we enjoy the local pride of a small town and the ability to wander around the local parks at any hour of the day within walking distance from most homes. A community large enough so not everyone knows your business, but small enough to be within a network of multiple activities and local organizations keeping year round activities for all of those interested in participating. Next week the local Fire Department and Police Department are playing a baseball game where the community is invited to cheer on those playing...

We borrowed a book the "Sunset Western Garden Book". It lists various plants and trees within specific temperature zones, which has possible future use for those of you looking for a "specific climate". We are planning to plant Peach, Pomegranate and Grapefruit trees in specific areas of our back yard. Zone 11... with specific temperature highs and lows, precipitation and similar requirements for plants and trees. Perfect for what we had in mind. Possibly some specific locations for one or more "palm tree" varieties as well... which is something we could never do in Colorado! Sometimes we must understand the climate better through plants, that can handle the climate and seasons of a possible move(s).

IF you are unsure of the climate extremes in a possible area of interest, check the Climate Zone for plantings! Sure was a surprise to us. It could help in deciding if an area is appropriate for you and your "garden". After a few years we will be picking fruit from our own yard... or those hanging over the sidewalks in town.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:03 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Our next Monday is Moving Monday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueliner View Post
We are following your footsteps. We purchased a 2010 International 25FB two weeks ago and we plan on looking around the west to see where we'll land. The house is paid for and will probably go on the market soon, so we're hoping California money stretches further. We really like SW Colorado, but will also be looking harder at Oregon & Washington. My only requirement is good fly fishing.

14 more Monday's to go!
Our home is finished in Boulder City, Nevada.

After two years and counting, there was not one house that met our Frank Lloyd Wright interior and having a place to park our trailer. So we had to build. I got my oversized garages and a RV Bus sized attached garage for our "mini" 25 foot Airstream. But the resale and little additional cost for the RV Garage were not much difference.

-Taxes are less than where are currently for almost equal taxable real estate.
-Insurance is a less than 20% of Colorado's due to fire, hail and floods elsewhere.
-The community has a larger number of over 50 year olds that are active.
-Parks everywhere. No gambling within City Limits. Almost every weekend there is an Art Show, Car Show, Festivities in the Parks and Las Vegas is a mere glow over the mountain pass that is between BC and LV.
-Electricity, water, sewer, trash is a lot less than Colorado and done by the City.
-Electrical power is direct from Hoover/Boulder Dam. Thank you.

Nancy could give some accurate percentages of costs.

Building NEW at a special location has a premium attached to the lot price. Buying an existing home is 20% savings for more home square footage, but we waited for one without pillars and dance floors and... the 1970's and maybe into the 1980's marble and pillar architecture seen in most larger homes with a "view".

The months of June, July and August in the Mohave Desert or in the lower 150 miles of Nevada are for those wanting an instant tan. Inside an Air Conditioned home makes it easy and comfortable with $150 a month utilities for a 3,400 square foot ranch. Our neighbor's numbers, not ours, yet. This, I believe, included water, natural gas, sewer and trash. I could be wrong... but close.

We are taking HALF of our closets. Half of our kitchen utensils and similar splitting everything to have TWO homes and not one warehouse and one we live. For a month I have been sorting out stuff to donate, to sell on Craigslist, to give to neighbors, and so on. Actually a relief not having decades of "stuff" to follow us around. This actually gave us the wakeup call to clean "house". Geez... I must have five or six wooden Indians I just... cannot part with. Now... there is home to take one or two... wife permitting, of course.

Stress? None. The price per square foot was more than we wanted, but had we waited, our .5 acre would have been sold. Ten lots, one left within six months. Neighbors from California, Colorado, Wyoming (imagine that... his wife lived on the same street as I in Cheyenne in 1971!)... Some single home owners and a couple like us, slowly merging. See how this works out first. Then decide.

Is this for everyone? Probably not. If we sell our Colorado home, I have already told my wife we will find a "Cabin". Where... am working on that just in case.

Before taking the plunge, we spent time at City Hall, Police Station, Taxes- Town and State... walked the town during the day, during the nights. It was like a small tightly knit community that you find in Wyoming or Montana. Just a good excuse to be on the road... and found this special place for a couple who are comfortable in a small town near a City.

Las Vegas... you would not know it was 30 miles to the Strip. Hit some shows. Lost some money at the Craps Table. Buffets. Beautiful highways... once you get close to Boulder City. Costco less than 30 minutes away. We checked it all out.

For those looking. First decide WHAT you are looking for. A used home would have suited us fine, but at the time only ONE attracted our attention and the trailer could squeeze next to the side of the home. But... for 20% more money we could build... and we did.

Now... the pool, planting fruit trees (Grapefruit, Lemon, Pomegranate) and a couple of "Pineapple Palms" that I have to have...

Do not give up. Have a realtor take your around and check everything... EVERYTHING in your price range. Age is just a reminder that you have a lot of experience and your long range goals might be... ten years, maybe 15 in my case. And we plan to take it one Monday at a time.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:17 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Congratulations on your new home.......and just in time for the onset of winter.

Maggie
Old 10-20-2015, 05:56 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
How about a "two story condo-stream"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
Having two houses can be dream, or a financial nightmare. My situation changed and I ended up with two houses and one income. The recession, and housing market made things even worse.

#1 Twice the money tied up in real estate
#2 Twice the real estate taxes
#3 Twice the insurance
#4 Twice the maintenance.

Zoning around me prohibits living in a trailer. Even in my backwoods area, Trailers have to be 50 feet long for you to live in them.
How about the trailer on your post? Sixty footer?

You are right about #'s 1 to 4. Our Airstream license costs more in Nevada than Colorado by about $120. House insurance $387 Nevada / $3,100 Colorado for similar $$$ coverage and by using some coverage that umbrellas over both. Direct TV $90 for both houses. But overall... more $$$ out.

I need to start finding more quarter dollars and fewer cents and dimes on parking lots and at the Post Office floor! Before long we will have our "Fruit Stand" and a fruit working it. Asian pears can grow there, but they cannot handle a hard frost like the others... darn.

For several decades we have been picking up loose change in parking lots and crusty metal detector change found buried at campsites. Some I am embarrassed spending them when you cannot tell a cent from a clad dime! The Silver coins go into my "special" pocket so the wife does not spend them.

There is a RV Park as you come into Boulder City about four miles from Hoover Dam, with concrete pads, full hookups, gated, palm trees in some lots (I am fascinated with Palm Trees), and a view of Lake Meade that you can purchase for your own. We drove past it a few times, but never stopped to investigate. Some pads were for sale, as I met a couple people who picked up a pad as part of some other deals. I am sure a google search will narrow the name of the place. With the older owners, there could be some turnover. I heard of some empty pads available. If they are... and not being used... time to deal.