Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2022, 02:29 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Help creating a permanent Airstream Site please!

We have 16 acres on a trout river in Arkansas and I want to put in a permanent site for my Airstream. I will not leave it there all the time, most of the time I will bring it home with me. I am planning on a covered open structure with water, sewer & electric. We have the utilities near completion for the extension to the site. I have 2 airstreams, a 25’ Safari and a 30’ Safari, most of the time it will be the 30’ but occasionally it might be both. I am leaning toward putting in a single 25’x70’ concrete pad and putting the units end to end when they are both there, so that they both open up to the river. On one area of the pad, I am considering an open covered structure that is roughly 20’x30’ that I can park my 30’ unit under and have a covered outdoor area. I am a little torn on whether or not to do this structure? I would greatly appreciate any insight I some of you have gone down this road before me. I have attached a couple ideas from Pinterest that are kind of what I am considering for the structure and a picture of the seating area I am consider just below my pad on the edge of the river.

Thanks in advance!
Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cc863d55f864775365515bd8a2d51b48.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	420109   Click image for larger version

Name:	b26a6e3cb6c5a67de47fd2d9705b7e14.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	420110  

Name:	3e1c989a8a2132b91cd61ffe0b41d716.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	420111  
ghaag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 04:46 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Charlotte , North Carolina
Sounds amazing! I'd offer up that you want to leave room on all sides to maintain the rigs. Perhaps consider leaving enough space to extend your awnings (for cleaning etc.).
AppFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 06:54 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2024 19' Caravel
Washougal , Washington
Sounds like a fun project, when completed, you'll be able to enjoy for a lifetime. With that in mind, I have some suggestions, based on experience gained when we built our house, and put in a pad for our trailer(s).

When you build the roof, decide if you're going to have a covering for any kind of patio area. I would suggest keeping that covering separate from the cover for the Airstream, just to cut down on the wind/snow loading. When you consider those coverings, stouter is better. You want it to stand the test of time and weather.

Open at the sides is a 'cool look', but it sacrifices the ability of the structure to withstand high winds and snow loads. Adding extra posts at the sides will help tremendously, plus the extra structure will give you the ability to offset them a bit to keep them from ending up in the middle of a window.

Access all around and drainage will also be key. I know concrete remains expensive, and a good alternative is unwashed screenings, as they will pack down like concrete after a while, and offer far better drainage. Just make sure to have everything level to start. The screenings are also kinder to tires, not causing flat spots as badly as concrete can.

It sounds like you're going to be putting in a water system and a septic tank. Assuming everything perks okay, then you'll want to consider a location for the septic system and drain fields that won't get driven over. That location should also be designed to be easily accessible for a pumper truck, as you'll need to periodically pump the septic system. Might be intervals of ten years, but you'll still want to be able to get to things to have them periodically inspected.

Likewise, if the water system is designed from the beginning to be frostproof, then so much the better. You'll want to remember to unhook the hose from the Airstream when leaving, so as to not endanger the water systems, both in the ground and in the AS. Continuing with frostproofing, you'll want to have a way to easily blow the lines out in the AS whenever you're leaving it for a while. You won't want to be leaving well water in the lines over weeks of hot weather... (Been there, had to deal with the, um, algae.)

Continuing with water quality, it sounds like you'll be putting in a well. Therefore you'll need a pumphouse to have the basic water system necessities kept dry and safe, plus a way to drain it all for when you're closing up for the winter. You'll also need to send a sample to the County for analysis, just to make sure it's safe to drink.

About all I can come up with right now; I'm sure others will also have ideas to add for you.

Good luck with it, and I hope this helps.
Click here to go to my blog: I try to add wisdom, not noise.
Steamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 07:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Check out Tennessee Cumberland Plateau Campground for ideas.

Consider having a shed of some type to secure and protect things you might need or want up there, like lawn furniture, tools, grill, water pump for well, water filtration equipment, laundry equipment, etc.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 07:48 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppFan View Post
Sounds amazing! I'd offer up that you want to leave room on all sides to maintain the rigs. Perhaps consider leaving enough space to extend your awnings (for cleaning etc.).
Thank you, that's a great suggestion!
Old 07-26-2022, 07:58 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamguy View Post
Sounds like a fun project, when completed, you'll be able to enjoy for a lifetime. With that in mind, I have some suggestions, based on experience gained when we built our house, and put in a pad for our trailer(s).

When you build the roof, decide if you're going to have a covering for any kind of patio area. I would suggest keeping that covering separate from the cover for the Airstream, just to cut down on the wind/snow loading. When you consider those coverings, stouter is better. You want it to stand the test of time and weather.

Open at the sides is a 'cool look', but it sacrifices the ability of the structure to withstand high winds and snow loads. Adding extra posts at the sides will help tremendously, plus the extra structure will give you the ability to offset them a bit to keep them from ending up in the middle of a window.

Access all around and drainage will also be key. I know concrete remains expensive, and a good alternative is unwashed screenings, as they will pack down like concrete after a while, and offer far better drainage. Just make sure to have everything level to start. The screenings are also kinder to tires, not causing flat spots as badly as concrete can.

It sounds like you're going to be putting in a water system and a septic tank. Assuming everything perks okay, then you'll want to consider a location for the septic system and drain fields that won't get driven over. That location should also be designed to be easily accessible for a pumper truck, as you'll need to periodically pump the septic system. Might be intervals of ten years, but you'll still want to be able to get to things to have them periodically inspected.

Likewise, if the water system is designed from the beginning to be frostproof, then so much the better. You'll want to remember to unhook the hose from the Airstream when leaving, so as to not endanger the water systems, both in the ground and in the AS. Continuing with frostproofing, you'll want to have a way to easily blow the lines out in the AS whenever you're leaving it for a while. You won't want to be leaving well water in the lines over weeks of hot weather... (Been there, had to deal with the, um, algae.)

Continuing with water quality, it sounds like you'll be putting in a well. Therefore you'll need a pumphouse to have the basic water system necessities kept dry and safe, plus a way to drain it all for when you're closing up for the winter. You'll also need to send a sample to the County for analysis, just to make sure it's safe to drink.

About all I can come up with right now; I'm sure others will also have ideas to add for you.

Good luck with it, and I hope this helps.
Thank you for all the great suggestions Steamguy! I visited your blog, it seems we have a lot in common. I was so sorry to read about you losing your wife, I cannot imaging how hard that must of been.
Thanks again!
Greg
Old 07-26-2022, 07:59 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
Check out Tennessee Cumberland Plateau Campground for ideas.

Consider having a shed of some type to secure and protect things you might need or want up there, like lawn furniture, tools, grill, water pump for well, water filtration equipment, laundry equipment, etc.
Thank you, that is a great suggestion!
Old 07-27-2022, 06:15 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2024 19' Caravel
Washougal , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
... Consider having a shed of some type to secure and protect things you might need or want up there, like lawn furniture, tools, grill, water pump for well, water filtration equipment, laundry equipment, etc.
Don't forget to design for heat in that shed, to protect everything water-related from freezing. Figure on super-critter-proofing it so that you don't have to worry about rodents chewing your wiring or generally wrecking everything inside.

Love the idea of a washer-dryer in there; you'll already have 230V for your well pump; just need to figure out how to connect to the septic system.

Echo the need for "working room" under your Airstream's shelter. Keep in mind that it costs a few dollars up front to build everything stout, but takes a long time and a lot of heartache to clean up after a failure of an under-engineered shelter.

Here's where a good plan helps.
Click here to go to my blog: I try to add wisdom, not noise.
Steamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 07:18 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamguy View Post
Don't forget to design for heat in that shed, to protect everything water-related from freezing. Figure on super-critter-proofing it so that you don't have to worry about rodents chewing your wiring or generally wrecking everything inside.

Love the idea of a washer-dryer in there; you'll already have 230V for your well pump; just need to figure out how to connect to the septic system.

Echo the need for "working room" under your Airstream's shelter. Keep in mind that it costs a few dollars up front to build everything stout, but takes a long time and a lot of heartache to clean up after a failure of an under-engineered shelter.

Here's where a good plan helps.
Thank you for all your help Steamguy!
Old 07-29-2022, 09:35 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Here are a couple of work-in-progress photos of our weekend place (excuse the construction debris). 16x36 covered area for the camper, 12x16 overhead deck and a 16x20 screen room/grill/shower area. We have very limited power at the area so we supplement with Solar for everything except AC. I found a inverter window unit that cools the camper and only pulls 500W with no startup surge.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4187.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	575.4 KB
ID:	420230   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4576.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	526.8 KB
ID:	420231  

HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 01:40 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
Here are a couple of work-in-progress photos of our weekend place (excuse the construction debris). 16x36 covered area for the camper, 12x16 overhead deck and a 16x20 screen room/grill/shower area. We have very limited power at the area so we supplement with Solar for everything except AC. I found a inverter window unit that cools the camper and only pulls 500W with no startup surge.
I bet you are enjoying that, it looks great! Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-03-2022, 04:03 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Bremerton , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaag View Post
I bet you are enjoying that, it looks great! Thanks for sharing!

Ghaag,

Here what got us started full time in our 25 FC RBT. We are looking of a RV Home Port

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/4951864...b-91bb1fce3fbc

I know it is an Airbnb but the idea is great and the area is ideal.

OVRLNDR sends…
OVRLNDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 03:04 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
2018 27' Tommy Bahama
2016 23' International
Currently Looking...
Peachtree City , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVRLNDR View Post
Ghaag,

Here what got us started full time in our 25 FC RBT. We are looking of a RV Home Port

OVRLNDR sends…

There are somethings that simply can’t be unseen, no matter how hard we try. This is definitely one of those things and I will attempt to keep it away from my wife. Lol

I can see why you fell in love with the idea and wanted to replicate. Definitely has me thinking as we are playing with the idea of buying some property, may as well store the Airstream there, heck that place even had an EV charger. Very nice find.
Colossus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 02:03 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVRLNDR View Post
Ghaag,

OVRLNDR sends…
It looks like a great setup and setting, thanks for sharing!
Old 09-29-2022, 06:22 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
I thought I would post a progress report for everyone that gave me ideas for my permanent airstream pad. I have all the utilities in, water, sewer, electric and my pad has been poured. They start next week with the cover, I hope to have it all wrapped up by the end of October. Here are a few pictures of the progress so far.
I will follow up with finished project hopefully in a month or so. Thanks to everyone for their help!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8057.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	767.5 KB
ID:	423216   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8059.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	696.6 KB
ID:	423217  

Name:	IMG_8061.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	615.2 KB
ID:	423218  
Old 09-30-2022, 08:48 AM   #16
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
That is an amazing spot! If you don’t mind me asking what was the size of the pad and charge for the concrete? I know that varies widely but I’m just curious.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 11:13 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
That is an amazing spot! If you don’t mind me asking what was the size of the pad and charge for the concrete? I know that varies widely but I’m just curious.
Thank you Peter! The pad is 24x40 and the concrete work ran about $8,000. The cost was a little higher due to the distance they had to travel to get to my property.
Old 10-05-2022, 04:42 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
A progress report, they have started on the cover for the airstream pad. I am hope this is complete in a couple weeks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Airstream Cover.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	897.0 KB
ID:	423558  
Old 10-05-2022, 05:34 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Oooh nice! This is always in the back of my mind, looking for a perfect "vacation property" we can bring our Airstream to with the kiddos.
hikingcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 09:20 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
1987 34' Excella
Olathe , Kansas
So how did this thing turn out?