Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2021, 03:43 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double J View Post
Hi all! Got a hard freezer warning for tonight with temps down to the low 20’s possible. We have not attempted our first winterization yet as we still have camping trips planned before winter fully sets in.

How is it best to handle short cold snaps in the fall like this?

So far I drained the fresh water tank, but not sure it is better to be empty or full. No way the tank full would come close to freezing with only a few hours of freeze temps at night.

I have the attachment to use an air compressed to blow the lines, but the air compressor I have is not very large so not sure if it will do the trick, or if I should do regardless of compressor.

Was thinking about just sleeping in the camper tonight with the heater on.
It is a 25’ flying cloud so the tanks are heated via forced air vents. I can plug shore power electrical in as well and use the roof heater also (has AC/Heater combo on roof), but this will not do much for the tanks and pipes down below.

Any constructive suggestions appreciated!

Thanks, JJ

As long as it gets back up above freezing in the daytime you should be OK if you run the furnace on 50 degrees. For future reference, the compressor you want is a low pressure high volume one, or a high pressure high volume one regulated to about 35 psi. I used my tire inflator (high pressure low volume) by watching the pressure gauge and turning on one faucet at a time, then closing it to let the pressure rise to 35 psi, and opening it again. I did that multiple times at each faucet and the toilet until I didn't get much water. You don't have to get every drop, but you do have to put some RV antifreeze down each drain. I have also emptied the water tank, poured a gallon of RV antifreeze into the fresh water tank and, after draining and bypassing the water heater, run the pump until I got antifreeze out of each faucet and the toilet before I did the compressor thing. It takes a lot of rinsing to get the foam, and presumably the taste, of the antifreeze out of the water lines.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 05:56 PM   #22
Level 1 wandering winos

2021 25' Globetrotter
Dallas , Texas
Along with a few others who responded, I also recommend running your furnace at least at 50 degrees tonight. I do not recommend running a space heater tonight as this will keep your furnace turned off overnight which will not heat the tanks below. Keep comfy using your furnace tonight, then turn it back to 50 for sleeping. Use your space heater in the morning to take the edge off - the increasing daytime temps will keep you out of the danger zone.
For water, I recommend filling your water somewhat while it is warm out - the thermal mass will help keep your whole underbelly warmer when it gets cold. You will also want the water availability, especially since the outdoor faucets will be frozen in the morning. (Keep you water hose empty or inside during freezing temps.)
Blue Ox SwayPro
ASWinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 06:37 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double J View Post
Hi all! Got a hard freezer warning for tonight with temps down to the low 20’s possible. We have not attempted our first winterization yet as we still have camping trips planned before winter fully sets in.

How is it best to handle short cold snaps in the fall like this?

So far I drained the fresh water tank, but not sure it is better to be empty or full. No way the tank full would come close to freezing with only a few hours of freeze temps at night.

I have the attachment to use an air compressed to blow the lines, but the air compressor I have is not very large so not sure if it will do the trick, or if I should do regardless of compressor.

Was thinking about just sleeping in the camper tonight with the heater on.
It is a 25’ flying cloud so the tanks are heated via forced air vents. I can plug shore power electrical in as well and use the roof heater also (has AC/Heater combo on roof), but this will not do much for the tanks and pipes down below.

Any constructive suggestions appreciated!

Thanks, JJ
Quickly run down to the corner quick mart and get a case of bud lit and Clamato juice…
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 07:52 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
OK. DO NOT put antifreeze in your fresh water tank and run the pump!! There is absolutely no reason to have antifreeze in that tank. NONE!! That creates an unnecessary mess because in the Spring you have to fill and drain it numerous times. And it complicates sanitizing the tank with bleach.

If you don’t have a way to pump antifreeze (typically a valve before the water pump that you can attach a hose to and put it down a gallon of antifreeze. Then turn on the pump and siphon it through the system) through the system you can get a hand pump and pump it through the outside water inlet. Just takes 2 people; one inside opening the faucets and one outside pumping the antifreeze. I have done that before. Bit messier, but it works, and then you don’t have that nasty antifreeze in your freshwater tank. I REPEAT: TOTALLY UNNECESSARY TO PUT ANTIFREEZE IN FRESH WATER TANK!!

Also make sure to have the bypass valve to the water heater “closed.” Don’t want antifreeze in your hot water tank.

If you don’t have a valve to pump antifreeze from the other side of your pump I highly recommend getting one installed. Makes the process much easier.

ALSO: Make sure you have an open line before you turn on the pump and pump air through the system. And don’t forget the outside shower faucet

And if you blow out the system remember there will still be residual water in the water pump. So you have to unscrew the outlet from the pump and drain it. Otherwise your pump will be ruined.

This really isn’t complicated. Follow the instructions in the manual. You’ll be a pro at it after a few seasons.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote