Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2015, 09:09 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Long Beach , California
Full timing in a 19 or 20 footer?

Hello,
Is there a couple full timing in a 19 or 20 footer?
If so, what advice do you have to make it work?
Tomboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 03:22 PM   #2
George & Kathy

2007 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
St. Martinville , Louisiana
My husband and I have now spent 4.5 months in a 23 ft. We do well using a tent shelter as an outdoor kitchen and pantry. We bought a small dorm frig/freezer for extra food storage. We spend a lot of time outside. Our corner bed became too small for the 2 of us. My husband sleeps on the jackknife couch and I in the corner bed. We haven't killed each other yet. Good luck and have fun!
Silver Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
People full-time in all sorts of vehicles, but most of us want a bit more space. Consider what life will be like when you get a week of rain. What will you do?
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I met a couple full timing in a Casita. They towed with a full sized pickup so they could store extra clothing and other items.

Other full timers can't full time unless its om a giant 5th wheel with 4 slides. I guess it depends on your personalities. If you are both minimalists it will be easier.

If you guys get cabin fever then you could spend a week at an extended stay motel.

Kelvin
Old 08-31-2015, 10:51 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Longmont , Colorado
20 ft long term living

We haven't full timed for more than 3 months, but things went very good. In 1999 we took an 8 1/2ft cabover camper for 2 1/2 months and 10,000 miles to Alaska.
The longest we have stayed in our 20 ft AS was 3 months wintering in FL near Cortez. We have a full size pickup with 4 doors and a cap. It was loaded with bikes, grill, fishing gear, kayak, lawn chairs, table, etc. Most of our outdoor toys. The only close times were when it would rain for days. A good book got us through that.
JMO, but it is all on you, your likes, dislikes, toys, etc. I suspect you'll do fine becoming an old fashioned minimalist. We own too much "stuff" these days.

Hmmm...maybe I should have a garage sale?😉
ridgewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:38 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
franklin , Indiana
I know of several people some single some couples who full time in teardrop trailers. 19' should be a piece of cake.
pickettmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

I have a 20 footer

My longest outing was two weeks. I tow with a van, and need that space for storage, if I want to keep the trailer neat and organized. When daughter and ex significant other arrived…all bets were off, as the ladies needed all of the lady type equipment in the trailer. It got crowded.

Bottom line..having a van and a tent will help. Having full time savvy partners is key as well. The fridges are small, so a spare cooler helps.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We did two six month trips in our 2007 Safari SE 20. Great traveler, lots of storage, didn't like the living space in the middle of the Airstream, rather than the ends. But the reason we traded it was seating, there is no comfortable place to sit for more than an hour. We bought a 25 with the specific idea of installing comfortable seats; after 27 months total in this one I don't see any time limits; we're just not full-timers.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 05:38 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Long Beach , California
Thank you for all the comments so far. I have been lurking for nearly a year and am very grateful to everyone who posts and makes this forum successful.

We have a 4x4 extended bed Ford cargo van, so would have plenty of "garage" space. We do like the 23 and 25FB models, but are worried about price and the ability of our van to safely tow them (it has the 5.4L V8 gas engine with a max tow capacity of 7300).

Every time we wander back to buying one of the larger trailers, it seems like we would be well over budget and then would need a new TV.

Since we are also considering converting the van, Sportsmobile style, which is Very tight quarters, I thought I'd see what accommodations other folks have made in small trailers. If we are willing to live in a van for two years, a van with a 20' trailer is down right spacious.

I know it's possible, just like our 35' sailboat was possible. But what are the realities that we would have to live with, that maybe aren't so evident.

The extra fridge/freezer is a good one. Is there a model that is particularly awesome? Any trick to hooking it up in the van?

Could the bed be converted to something comfy for lounging?

Is it possible to upsize the grey/black tanks for longer boondocking?

What else should we think about?
Old 08-31-2015, 05:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Traveled up to 4 weeks at a time in our 22' International with 4 dogs along. Daughter along on one trip. Main issue was working around dog crates and making up dinette bed for daughter. It was doable but a bit crowded.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:12 PM   #11
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I like the corner bed in the Winick limited 19' Bambi. It is lounge the bottom pulls out to be bed. I often wondered if I could do that with mine. I spend months at a time. No issue, I rather like it.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:51 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
I've often wondered about the Winick model. It would seem to be a great trailer for extended use. I have often wondered if the bathroom sink/medicine cabinet could be turned into a closet and use the kitchen sink for the bathroom sink (by using an insert when in kitchen mode)

I guess it is all about priorities
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:25 PM   #13
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I agree, the Airstream is gorgous and the bed feature answers the comfy lounge question my 19' has plenty enough room for a comfy lawn chair in the evening. The trick is to travel very very simple. We just had 6 in the Bambi, four grandchildren, it was fantastic and easy. Each kid got one. Shelf, sleeping bag, pillow and towel. So simple and fun for all. Plus we has one who refused remove his met shirt the whole time. We did not care.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:51 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Anything CAN be made to work. The difference will be what you can accept for your comfort and happiness level.

With your van, you have the option to, perhaps, make the van your bedroom... and then make a shorty Airstream into a comfortable living/cooking, dining/hang out space.

With the need for a bedroom removed from an Airstream, you could make a 19-20 footer into a really comfortable place to hang out. I would want a dinette and two awesome recliners, myself. The dinette for the added workspace/counter space/staging-area for load-in, working on projects, etc. And the comfy recliners for all the time spent inside the Airstream.

If I were you, I'd see what could be done to accomodate a pair of very comfortable recliners in the shorty Airstream, and have the bed in the van. You could use the shorty Airstream for days and evenings lounging, cooking, eating, hanging out, watching TV and such... then transition to the van for a nice big comfy bed. Just a thought.

No options are perfect. All involve compromise... it's just a matter of what you are willing to compromise on.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:42 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
There is no space for recliners in a 20, the front bed space is only 48" wide and the water heater is under a dinette seat. I tried to figure something out when we had ours. You can lounge on the bed with pillows but we couldn't get comfortable with that either.

I suspect if we were younger we could drop down the dinette into the bed position and lounge there, but not these days. Don't disregard the 19 and 20 on these comments, they are great travelers and vacation Airstreams, tow with a range of SUV's capable of 5,000 lb trailers.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:21 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Longmont , Colorado
Peabrain, you asked about an extra fridge. I'd look at Engel, ARB, or Dometic in their 12v portables. They come in several sizes and are 12v/110v and have very low amp draw. Engel has been around the longest and is used extensively in "adventure" expedition vehicles. They are chest type and not upright, so they are more efficient that way as well.

Good luck in your decision!
Old 09-01-2015, 07:19 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Long Beach , California
Thanks, everyone!
Old 09-01-2015, 08:31 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
The only way we could attempt an extended stay is by replacing the leather couch with recliners.......still working on it...good luck
mocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:27 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Long Beach , California
So to summarize:

Get an extra fridge
Figure out a comfy place to sit

Anything else?
Old 09-02-2015, 05:13 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Longmont , Colorado
If you're boondocking, you'll probably want to carry extra H2O in the van. Maybe a portapotty. If you're van is set up similar to a Sportsmobile, your probably already set up and ready.
Of course the usual AS power improvements, ie upgrade to 3 stage converter/charger so you don't kill batteries. Convert any incandescent lights to LED. Dual 6v AGM batteries. Maybe portable solar so you can have it usable on either the van, or the AS. An extra battery in the van with isolator to run the Engel. Tire chocks/blocks. Shovel. Spare tools. Jack with plywood base that will work on AS to change tires. Lug wrench to fit AS. Tire plug kit, portable 12v compressor. Sand ladders. 50 amp adapter. Water hose. Volt/ohm meter.

Oh and a winning lottery ticket😄

Then relax and enjoy life.