Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-03-2014, 09:47 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Intown , New Jersey
full-time in Kalispell MT?

Is living fulltime in a motorhome in Kalispell MT realistic? I might be going there for a while, and know very little about it, other than it is very scenic and has cold winters. Are there places/parks you can rent to live in your RV full-time?
innjtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:19 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
There are several RV camps that are open year-round and have people in them during the winter - but you'd have to check with them about how they handle water spigots and such. I know one we camp at often, on the river at US-2, has heat tape on the spigots, so they have winterization already in mind. You'd have to check directly with the various RV parks, though.
TAC
TCT
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Having lived in Kalispell, Somers and Lakeside during the last Glacial Age... you might want to visit the area BEFORE you plan to Full Time. Try November to February for a test of courage against the elements. The full time residents have more fur and thicker skin than we in Colorado!

After considering the possibility of moving back to the area for a Summer second home, the thought of spending another winter south of Glacier Park... gives me the chills thinking about it. If you like to Ice Fish. If you like to Shovel Snow. If you like Wind. If you like to Hunt. You will love it.

A small well insulated house in Somers, Montana would be better suited to the climate. Build an outbuilding to store your RV. You will can find a place with a great view of the Flathead Lake and live through the Winter Months.

I doubt if there are very many Trailer Parks in the area. Never checked. Propane or Natural Gas will cost more than a home.

I am being a little optimistic. The Summer months are wonderful. Spring and Fall are seasons to look forward to. Winter... you will want to be out of there.

Swan Lake is also a good option to the East of Flathead Lake. My Dad, native to Somers and Kalispell liked it best of all.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:48 AM   #4
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
I think it's called Eagles Nest on the south end of Flat Head lake in Polson. RV park might be suited for long term.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You couldn't pick a more beautiful spot than Kalispell, IMO, but then I have only been there in the summer.

In a motorhome, if you can find an RV park to accommodate you, I think you would need skirting around the bottom.....heavy duty, insulated skirting, too prevent things from freezing, and even that might not be enough.

It gets crazy cold up there.

Maggie
Old 05-12-2015, 01:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Moving to Kalispell in winter without trying it out before hand is like moving to Fl. for the summer without trying it out. The stay is usually very short. That is why New Jersey home owners are advised not to sell their home when moving to Fl. but rather to rent it for a year so they have someplace to come back to.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:08 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
GOLD Placers in the Kalispell, MT area

I was shelving books today and found a geological booklet with some odds and ends that are interesting. There are gold placers in this region when you want to get out and explore!

Average annual precipitation: 16" to 18"
Annual mean temperature: 43F
Annual snowfall: 68", nearby mountains 100"
Record HIGH: 104F
Record LOW: -38F
Rain Fall: May to June
Dryer: July to August

Mountains act as a barrier to south moving Arctic and Central Canadian storms creating more moderate winters and cooler summers increasing snow and rain amounts.

Lowest point is Leonia at 1822' elevation
Highest point is Swan Peak at 9255' elevation
Kalispell, MT elevation is 2956', 2959', 3001'
Kalispell, MT precipitation: 15"

Swan Fault displaced over 11,000' of sedimentary formations west flank of the Swan and Whitefish Ranges

Lewis Thrust fault elevated the Glacier National Park area to the north several thousand feet

Geology and Mineral Deposits of Lincoln and Flathead Counties, Montana by Willis M. Johns, 1970
Old 08-06-2015, 07:36 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Kalispell , Montana
I grew up in Kalispell, MT and currently live here. Last winter was brutal and so was the previous one. Two years ago the temps were at -15(ish) for two weeks straight and near 0 for the rest of the winter November-February. Last year was similar and on top of the cold we got several snow storms that dumped 24-36" of snow overnight. I just bought my first Airstream camper today and I was wondering about living in it through a Montana winter so I asked the previous owner about it and she said she lived in it for one winter that was a mild Montana winter and it was livable but not comfortable. That was 18 years ago. So I would say maybe not? But maybe so? But yeah, I agree with others commenting, if you haven't lived a winter in Montana before you might want to check it out before taking the leap. But if you LOVE snow and LOVE freezing cold it is a very beautiful place! I think the coldest month is typically January.
aholmquist is offline   Reply With Quote