Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-28-2017, 12:04 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lakeway , Texas
Flying Cloud 30 Bunk vs. Signature 30

I am new to the forum and need some feedback. My husband and I are seriously contemplating purchasing an AS and full-timing.
We have two children: 4 yo boy and 7 yo girl. We spent over an hour last Saturday looking at models at our local dealer.
We like the utility of the bunk and having separate sleeping spaces for all of us; however I just can't get over the interior. I'm not a fan of the interior wood and I feel like it is so much darker and cave-like than the other models. I also don't like that there are no panoramic windows.
We absolutely LOVE the styling of the Signature. The sleek cabinets, windows and pano window just make us happy.
My daughter originally loved the bunk but then decided after seeing the signature that she would love sleeping on the dinette bed. Especially since we are going to be living in the AS full-time I am worried that we will be sorry we don't have the bunks. But then if we go with the bunk I am worried that we will be sad we didn't go with the Signature.
Has anyone had this same dilemma? Any advice or experience to share to help make this easier? Is the separate space more valuable than what the Signature has to offer?
hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 01:40 PM   #2
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Flying Cloud Decor

The Flying Cloud has several different decors. Go to the website to view them.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:46 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Raleigh , North Carolina
New 30 Ft bunk in December

There are many many reasons to get the 30 Ft bunk. We debated exhaustibly about it.

Much more storage. Space to sleep children separately

Be glad to discuss further. Please send me a private message and I would be glad to call.

Jim
jim6090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 02:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We certainly hear you on the bright, open living space of the pano window models.

Raising a family in a tiny Airstream is unconventional thinking, so why not one more unconventional thought. Get the Serenity you love in the rear twin bed arrangement, and turn over that back bedroom to the youngsters. You can sleep in the living spaces, stay up late, get up early, go in and out of the Airstream to the patio space, cook meals, do planning at the dinette, and never disturb the youngsters. And they will have a little space of their own.

To be honest, after spending some 1400 nights in our Airstreams and traveling all over the country, if we had youngsters, full-time, it wouldn't be an Airstream, too tiny, it would be a fifth wheel camper.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:53 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lakeway , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
We certainly hear you on the bright, open living space of the pano window models.

Raising a family in a tiny Airstream is unconventional thinking, so why not one more unconventional thought. Get the Serenity you love in the rear twin bed arrangement, and turn over that back bedroom to the youngsters. You can sleep in the living spaces, stay up late, get up early, go in and out of the Airstream to the patio space, cook meals, do planning at the dinette, and never disturb the youngsters. And they will have a little space of their own.

To be honest, after spending some 1400 nights in our Airstreams and traveling all over the country, if we had youngsters, full-time, it wouldn't be an Airstream, too tiny, it would be a fifth wheel camper.
Thanks for chiming in! I have actually considered getting the twin and using that for the kids after seeing someone else do that...a very viable option for sure.

I hear you on the fifth wheel. It would be so much more roomy...if only they were as beautiful as an AS.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:05 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Sewickley , Pennsylvania
We were/are in the same boat. Two kids, almost 7 and 5. Contemplating full timing... starting with a 2 month trip this summer. We bought a 30' Serenity last year after originally having our eye on the FC Bunk. We are happy with our choice as we really like the natural light of the Internationals. We plan to give the kids the back bedroom. Go with the one you like - you could always do mods to make it a little more useable for your current situation.

Eric
Seinbelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:10 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lakeway , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim6090 View Post
There are many many reasons to get the 30 Ft bunk. We debated exhaustibly about it.

Much more storage. Space to sleep children separately

Be glad to discuss further. Please send me a private message and I would be glad to call.

Jim
Thanks for replying. My logical side says get the bunk, but just having a hard time walking away from the aesthetic of the Signature. I actually found the storage on the Signature to be equal to that of the Bunk with the exception of the bathroom. The Signature seemed to have more storage there, but I may be mistaken. May send you a PM if we still can't make up our mind.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:11 PM   #8
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Flying Cloud 30 Bunk vs. Signature 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seinbelld View Post
We were/are in the same boat. Two kids, almost 7 and 5. Contemplating full timing... starting with a 2 month trip this summer. We bought a 30' Serenity last year after originally having our eye on the FC Bunk. We are happy with our choice as we really like the natural light of the Internationals. We plan to give the kids the back bedroom. Go with the one you like - you could always do mods to make it a little more useable for your current situation.

Eric

We have a 25' SS international but has the same couch / sofa layout as the 30' international. We modified the dinette (removed a bench) and also re-did the front couch to make for a much larger sleeping area with more storage. We love the open feel and the large lounge area that has been created. Works very well for us. We also love the decor of the international.

Here is a link to the modifications with photos:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f370...al-106742.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0780.JPG
Views:	369
Size:	414.1 KB
ID:	280669  
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:16 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lakeway , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seinbelld View Post

Eric
Glad to hear you are happy with your choice. Natural light makes me happy. Good luck with your summer trip!
Old 03-01-2017, 11:25 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
“One test is worth a thousand 'expert' opinions”
Sign at Boeing headquarters, posted by test pilot Alvin “Tex” Johnston, c1948

"But will it work in Flin Flon?"
Sign on Donald Douglas desk. c1944
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:27 PM   #11

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Owensboro , Kentucky
My husband and I have 5 children, ages 17, 15, 14, 12 and 9. We are going from our home in western Kentucky to Lakewood NJ to pick up a FC 30ft Bunk in April. We also debated about the different decors and floor plans as this is our first experience with buying a camper. Discussing our options with the sales staff of Colonial Airstream helped us make our decision. Patrick reminded us of 2 (or 3) permanent beds and how much that would mean to us. He also pointed out the benefits for us of an all-in-one corner bath. Had we chosen a model with a divided hall bath, we would have great difficulty in getting to our "room" when the bath was being used. (That's probably more of an issue with a house full of teenagers!) I didn't think I would like a Bunk model, for all the reasons you listed, but was able to actually see one last December. I was impressed with how light a spacious it felt and am excitedly awaiting going to get it and make it our own!
dmilem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 02:33 PM   #12
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Thumbs up

If you're going full time, get what you'll be most comfortable and happy in.

You're going to change things anyways. We did after our first month full-time. And two years later and we're redoing things again.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:51 AM   #13

Nashville , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcountry View Post
I am new to the forum and need some feedback. My husband and I are seriously contemplating purchasing an AS and full-timing.

We have two children: 4 yo boy and 7 yo girl. We spent over an hour last Saturday looking at models at our local dealer.

We like the utility of the bunk and having separate sleeping spaces for all of us; however I just can't get over the interior. I'm not a fan of the interior wood and I feel like it is so much darker and cave-like than the other models. I also don't like that there are no panoramic windows.

We absolutely LOVE the styling of the Signature. The sleek cabinets, windows and pano window just make us happy.

My daughter originally loved the bunk but then decided after seeing the signature that she would love sleeping on the dinette bed. Especially since we are going to be living in the AS full-time I am worried that we will be sorry we don't have the bunks. But then if we go with the bunk I am worried that we will be sad we didn't go with the Signature.

Has anyone had this same dilemma? Any advice or experience to share to help make this easier? Is the separate space more valuable than what the Signature has to offer?

Easy fix. BUY BOTH. LOL
stanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 05:29 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Pleasant City , Ohio
We started with a 25 FB twin thinking we would be happy to let the kids have the beds and us be able to enjoy the rest of the trailer while they slept, etc..........we are scheduled to trade off our 25 on the 30 bunk in about a month. Having to set the table and bench back up every morning in order to use the back half of the trailer gets old fast. While you lose the panoramic windows there are still plenty of windows in the kitchen / dining room in the 30 bunk.
KCCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 03:43 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lakeway , Texas
we made a decision

Thanks for all of the input. Just wanted to update that we made our decision. Deposit down on a 30' International Signature (queen bed). Delivery in June or July. After debating both exhaustibly, the openness of the signature and having a designated "living room" won us over. We still really love the bunks, but don't think we love them enough to give up the pano windows in the living area.