Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2020, 12:32 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
. . .
. . . below 20F you need the warmth the furnace routes to the tanks and water pump so let the furnace do at least half the work below 20F.
. . .
Is this true for the OP's 16' Sport?

OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 01:06 PM   #22
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I just can't think of a reason not to winterize that pup. Do it and be done.

Good luck with your mom.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 01:19 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Is this true for the OP's 16' Sport?

Well, the manual clearly describes and shows the tank as insulated, and a furnace duct warming the tank area, returning the air to the water pump area behind the cabinet. Also 16' sport owners have described winter camping down to -15 F and where they experienced issues. Finally, heat conduction supports the 50F temperature differential I provided.

pmclemore, I got the impression from the posts made, that Julian intended to use the trailer while visiting. Maybe I was mistaken.
Old 03-19-2020, 02:34 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
Great Town , US
Quote:
Well, the manual clearly describes and shows the tank as insulated, and a furnace duct warming the tank area, returning the air to the water pump area behind the cabinet. Also 16' sport owners have described winter camping down to -15 F and where they experienced issues. Finally, heat conduction supports the 50F temperature differential I provided.

pmclemore, I got the impression from the posts made, that Julian intended to use the trailer while visiting. Maybe I was mistaken.

Yes heat is diverted to the Combination Waste Tank in the 16’ Sport
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 03:06 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks Brian and SB.

Peter

Old 03-19-2020, 05:39 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliandurand View Post
Attachment 363508

It appears that the coldest it will get is 8 deg F this weekend. If I keep the furnace on and at least 65 F in the trailer do you think that will be enough to keep from PEX pipes freezing and wrecking my water pump ?

Are there external parts I need to worry about other than the black tank pipe ?

I can run space heaters and I will be in a wood shed.

Again thank you all for your invaluable advice in these stressy times. It makes a world of difference. Thank you !!

ps. I crossed the border yesterday. I am a Canadian (as well as US) citizen and so they were required to let me in. Border official was not friendly as they often are but all went smoothly and where I crossed (Flint / Sarnia) there was no line
If you are inside an enclosed shed be extremely careful with carbon monoxide buildup, especially if you are occupying/sleeping the trailer.

Worry about any plumbing part that is outside the heated area. (water hose connection, dump valve, exposed sewer pipe)
Leave the water heater on, so that it does not freeze.

Anything inside the heated area will be ok if you keep it above freezing inside the trailer. The furnace needs to be on to heat the FW tank, but supplementing with electric space heater is good. Open cabinet doors so warm air can circulate.

Keep an eye on propane levels. At those temps a tank will not last long
Old 03-21-2020, 07:53 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
San Diego , California
Peter, thank you so much. I did put a radiator by the black tank pipe. Mom is good ! We’re all getting through this and it would seem all my systems are functioning. One more night of the same deep freeze and it warms up. Halfway through.

Thanks again.
Julian
juliandurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 07:55 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
San Diego , California
Quote:
It's surprising how some (airstreambob being the exception) fail to apply physical chemistry and direct experience to inform their opinions.

I get the meaning behind the saying that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, but you asked precise questions, so without regard to what can go wrong and applying the requisite heat transfer and latent heat of fusion principles here goes.

If you keep the furnace and hot water heater on and above even 45F inside the trailer you won't have any trouble with freezing water or tanks down to -10F factoring in wind chill. At 65F you can go even lower but you will start having some difficulty with places that are poorly insulated even at 65F. Above 20 F space heaters are fine, below 20F you need the warmth the furnace routes to the tanks and water pump so let the furnace do at least half the work below 20F.

The non-insulated areas will be a bit of a problem less than 10F. The outdoor shower? Fill the void space with plastic bags or bubble wrap. Wrap Exposed parts of the sewer drain with bubble wrap and packing tape to prevent heat from conducting down the exposed pipe.

In a wood shed, wind chill won't be a factor even if it is drafty. If the furnace and/or space heaters fail, you have 4 hours before you will have any serious issues.

With that info, good luck with what you decide to do.

edit: Consider adding some insulation or bubble wrap to the spare tire well. It is very poorly insulated. I realize you don't have an outdoor shower, but some readers might.

Awesome advice thank you !
juliandurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 09:25 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliandurand View Post
Peter, thank you so much. I did put a radiator by the black tank pipe. Mom is good ! We’re all getting through this and it would seem all my systems are functioning. One more night of the same deep freeze and it warms up. Halfway through.

Thanks again.
Julian
Thanks for the update . . . good news all around.

Peter