Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2018, 08:24 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2003 34' Classic
Collingwood , Ontario
Thereís a lot of great advice that folks are giving here.

My only add is that my son did almost the same thing you are considering, buying a (non-Airstream) trailer having no tow vehicle and living and working in a ski town. He regretted it almost immediately, even though he had spent the previous summer traveling and living in a minivan. Luckily his investment for the trailer was only around $2,000 and he should be able to sell it in the spring.

It was a good life lesson for him, and he should be able to come out of it relatively unscathed and still have another great ski season under his belt.

Buying an Airstream and trying to do the same thing could seriously tie you down. Instead, maybe buy a cheapo trailer, and if you can make it work, and you like it, then jump in the deep end with an Airstream (but take the advice from others here under serious consideration).

No-one here is trying to rain on your parade. They are offering experienced advice.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:03 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
formerly of Tustin, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach , California
. Former lifetime renter here for 30 years - all that rent money gone...poof, forever. So I agree with you investing in something you will own someday. If I could go back in time, I'd do it differently. BUT rationalization does not solve a problem - reality will hit you in the face...and your credit when something goes wrong. All these folks are truly on your side but they know how things can go sideways. Logistics are solved with experience...or a lot of money; sorry to say but right now you have neither. It's not about lecturing you but rather Eyes Wide Open. We've spent the last four winters in southern Utah outside St. George. The first three were with full hookups and there was a learning curve. This past winter we gave up our camp hosting gig with hookups and boondocked all of Dec and most of this Jan...and it was hard. GMFL's specific propane calculation is right on the money. We sleep with a Pendleton wool blanket, two flannel sleeping bags, a quilt, and sometimes even a heated water bladder...and still froze; one night our propane tank emptied and we woke up in the mid-30s inside. We kept the trailer interior at 50-60į F overnight - are your pets okay with that? We froze outside Moab, UT - down to 20į overnight in Nov - we loved it but we weren't working either. Park City in the Wasatch is a much colder winter. No truck, big loan, first time out and in winter make for a razor thin comfort zone. Don't get us wrong - it can be done but with great risk. Owing a relative or a bank - neither is fun. But look for an opportunity that has more in your favor and a bit of leeway. Good luck!
westcoastas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:58 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
coppell , Texas
Thanks for all the advice guys. I am young and I am learning. Airstream living is probably a dream for another day...

Oh well. I'll figure it out. I'm not tied to anything right now so I have many options.

Thanks again!
torobi36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:05 AM   #24
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Winter Garden , Florida
Decision Crisis

An Airstream camped in Park City all winter is a slow-motion disaster in the making. Yes, I have camped in winter conditions, though never by choice. Donít. Just donít. Itís your money and your bankís money so you can do what you want until payments are missed, but this is a bad idea.
A couple more things you would have to look forward to while wintering in Park City in an Airstream (some will apply to any RV):
* Condensation on the inside of every surface that has exposure to the outside. Walls, ceiling, windows. All of them. The only way to reduce the condensation is to open up some vents and bring in dry cold outside air while evacuating the warm moist inside air
* Nothing will properly dry out inside the trailer because of all the condensation. All that ski gear? Gonna stay wet.
That said, if you go for it anyway, I wish you the very best and I hope you have a wonderful experience.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:26 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
coppell , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
You sound young, without a job yet in Park City, where perhaps you want to go because the skiing is good?, and wanting to fulfill a dream to own and live in an Airstream trailer...in an area where winter temps are going to make that very difficult to do successfully.

Aside from payment on your trailer and lot rent, you will likely also have to pay utilities, and staying reasonably warm in those winter temps will not be easy nor cheap.

If something breaks and/or freezes up in your trailer, there is no landlord to take care of this, you will have to finance it yourself...and survive while you wait for repair. You could be dead in the water for days or weeks, and then what?

We get threads here periodically from young folks who have a dream of living in an Airstream....and we tell them what we think, like it or not.

Itís a big leap for one without the experience, knowledge base and life skills to take this on...which is where it sounds like you may be.

You donít really want to crash and burn in Park City, Utah. If you really want an Airstream, start with it as a recreational vehicle...learn the ropes, get some experience under your belt and think about doing it full time in a more hospitable climate.

Good luck,

Maggie

The reason I want to go is because its a fun place to live (I love to hike) and I have a chance to work at the animal clinic and their sister resort to get some experience before I open my own doggy daycare/boarding facility.
Skiing is ok, not my fave.
torobi36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:31 AM   #26
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Winter Garden , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by torobi36 View Post
The reason I want to go is because its a fun place to live (I love to hike) and I have a chance to work at the animal clinic and their sister resort to get some experience before I open my own doggy daycare/boarding facility...
You should totally do that! Just sharing with you that an Airstream isn't the best way to get it done. Given it's really just a short-term thing, you might find that sharing the rental of an apartment with roommates is just the ticket. Given the nature of the place, I suspect there are plenty of other people in the same, "I can't really afford to live here but I'm determined to make it work," boat. When you looked for this in the Park City area, what did you find?

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:55 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You are young and unencumbered, so you should follow your dreams and do what you can to achieve them.

An Airstream may well be in your future, just not as a full time residence where you want to move at this point in your life.

We were all dreamers, once upon a time, and they are a good thing...they pull us forward, help us focus, give us hope, make us smile.

We all need that in our lives.

A doggie day care sounds like a great idea...they are popping up everywhere, and so important to many people. If you have your own, might be able to piggyback small and efficient living quarters onto it, and save some money.

Good luck, and let us know how it all works out.

Maggie
Old 01-31-2018, 11:45 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
The reason I want to go is because its a fun place to live (I love to hike) and I have a chance to work at the animal clinic and their sister resort to get some experience before I open my own doggy daycare/boarding facility.
Hooray. Now I can be of some real help. You don't need an apartment, you need a furnished room with kitchen and bath privileges. YMCA - maybe? Job that includes a place to live... stable boy? Security patrol/maintenance at a small lodge, night desk at a hotel, phone dispatcher at a towing service? Someone with a zillion dollar home needs a winter watchman?

Would the animal clinic like someome on-site at night?

You were already thinking outside the box... just go a little farther outside.

And never confuse an adventure with an investment... both are good, both are better with good planning - and every plan really needs a clause that says "If everything goes wrong, how can I escape with more than just my skin?"

In my working career I spent a LOT of time with start-up businesses. 95% of all small startups fail within 5 years with almost 3/4 dying in the first year. Every entrepreneur assumed he/she was in the 5% who make it. YOU have actually already done two things right that most people fail to do... (1) asked experienced people for advice
(2) looked the facts in the face and modified your plan

And you can accept "deferred gratification" the goal is the same, the timetable has been adjusted.

Last piece of advice - a manipulative uncle is NOT going to change. Do you ever deliberately choose to step in dog doo? It is Easy to avoid if you've already seen it.

HAPPY TRAILS TO YOU, Paula
Old 01-31-2018, 12:32 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:

Wonderful! Imagine this - you have your own campground, living in your Airstream, and your campground has a doggie day care center in it. As a camper - I would LOVE to be able to give Daisy a play day with other pooches while my wife and I spend the day kayaking or biking (both of which Daisy doesn't do).

Perhaps the facility is open to more than just campers but dog owners in the area?

Perhaps you license the idea and help campgrounds around the country set up shop with your blue print while you collect the royalties?

Perhaps this enables you to "chase 72 degrees" and move your Airstream every quarter to a comfy locale?

Perhaps you do this in one location but your campground also has a stick house for the cold winter months?

Lots of options....you'll find it!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:06 PM   #30
Mike from Canmore

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
Why Park City? I may have missed the reason for this particular locale (except that it's a ski mecca), but why not a warmer climate? Living in a nice park in the southern regions would be a nice option. And a way to be independent.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:53 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I think you're doing exactly the right thing - researching your dream before you leap. And you've gotten great advice. Go for what you want. But don't do it in an Airstream in a Park City winter. The salesman is one person telling you that it's suitable for cold weather. He has a vested interest in you buying one.

The numerous members of this forum have great experience and great advice and don't care one way or the other if you buy an Airstream. Their advice, while not what you wanted to hear, is only meant to be helpful by preventing you from making a huge mistake.

Most of us love our Airstreams. Most of us love to tell anybody who is interested how great they are. We find commonality with other people that own Airstreams. We join forums, facebook groups, local chapters, etc. But we do know their limitations. And below-freezing temps is one of their limitations. If you really decide that you want to live in a travel trailer in Park City, then there are better, cheaper options than an Airstream.

So follow your dream, but don't pull an Airstream with you just yet.

Best of luck and let us know how it turns out!
rlhendren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:53 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Loudon , Tennessee
Unless you're willing to go with a modern Classic with Alde heating, I wouldn't advise attempting living full-time in an Airstream. I'm having great success (as Borat announces) with our 2018 Classic 33. I attribute it all to heated tanks, Alde heat and 50 amp service. I've survived this winter which on three occasions dipped into 0-2 degrees F. In this time, I've only burned through 3x40 lb. tanks since I started full-timing in June. It's a great companion. The 65 inch projection TV is my favorite feature along with the Alde heat.

Don't ask me how much it cost.
RussRamz is offline   Reply With Quote