Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-25-2018, 11:41 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
La Pine , Oregon
Dehumidifier

I spent last winter in Spokane in my AS and had a LOT of condensation. (Amazing how much water vapor one person and 2 dogs generate.) This winter, I'm again in my AS in an area that is much colder and wetter than Spokane.

I bought a mid-sized dehumidifier a few months ago and now run it 24 hours/day because of all the condensation last year. It does a great job. None of my windows or walls have condensation. It holds 20 pints and I empty it every other day. (I already had a dehumidifier for my home but it was huge and would take up way too much room in the AS.)

The dimensions of my new unit are 11 x 6.7 x 19.1 inches and it just weighs a little more than 22 pounds. I keep it in the BR on the floor next to the small cabinet. It does fit on top of the cabinet, but is out of sight when on the floor.

I can't recommend a dehumidifier strongly enough to reduce/eliminate condensation.
andyherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:25 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Keller , Texas
Thumbs down Humidity mold

One of the accordian ocean air shade has mold spots on the wrap around window side. How to deal with that?
BJ7458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:43 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyherman View Post
I spent last winter in Spokane in my AS and had a LOT of condensation. (Amazing how much water vapor one person and 2 dogs generate.) This winter, I'm again in my AS in an area that is much colder and wetter than Spokane.

I bought a mid-sized dehumidifier a few months ago and now run it 24 hours/day because of all the condensation last year. It does a great job. None of my windows or walls have condensation. It holds 20 pints and I empty it every other day. (I already had a dehumidifier for my home but it was huge and would take up way too much room in the AS.)

The dimensions of my new unit are 11 x 6.7 x 19.1 inches and it just weighs a little more than 22 pounds. I keep it in the BR on the floor next to the small cabinet. It does fit on top of the cabinet, but is out of sight when on the floor.

I can't recommend a dehumidifier strongly enough to reduce/eliminate condensation.
Andy,
What brand/model is that dehumidifier?
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:49 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
La Pine , Oregon
Dehumidifier

Here's a link to the dehumidifier I bought -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1
andyherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:36 PM   #25
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There is no magic about this. It is not specific to one trailer or motor home design. If you are living in the trailer in the winter, this *will* be a problem. If there are several of you and maybe a couple pets ... even bigger problem. Toss in cooking with propane or taking a shower ...way bigger problem.

Trailers have a *very* small volume compared to a normal house or even a cabin. However much humidity this or that generates, it's combining with less air. Cut the volume in half and you double the RH. If your trailer is 1/10 the volume of your house, 10% RH in the house is 100% in the trailer.

Next up are the windows and walls. Neither one gets insulated the way they would in a modern house. Thus they get colder. If the RH is high and you have a cold surface ... you get condensation. That's just how it works. The windows and walls will always be cold.

Pop open a window or two to dry things out? Sure that can work. You now need to supply more heat to deal with the 10 degree F air you are letting in. That creates its own set of added issues on top of simply heating the trailer in the first place.

If you run a dehumidifier, be sure you watch the water tank on it. If they are doing a proper job, it's going to fill pretty quick. One with a small tank may not be perfect for everybody.

Bottom line - this is one of the reasons why these trailers are called "three season" items.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:15 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Here is a hint, get a dehumidifier that can have a drain hose attached. Place it next to the shower, with the hpse pointed downward into the drain.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:08 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
So an update to this, I dryed the windows as well as possible with a hairdryer and put a few layers of reflextex against that window, then sealed with a plastic heat shrink kit and aluminum tape. This eliminated the moisture issue. I left the other rear pano window with just plastic seal (no reflextex) and it's also not had any condensation form behind the plastic. The issue with these windows was definitely that I sleep on my side, and my breath would blow under the curtain while I slept, but other than that there was no air circulation behind the curtain, so condensation really built up. Plastic keeps my breath off those windows, no condensation, no problem.

I also leave the shower exhaust fan on 24/7, and obviously the oven fan while cooking.

The front windows occasionally get a bit of condensation when cooking or showering, but are designed so it runs down to the channel and out a weep hole to outside.

The woodstove exhausts so much air and outputs so much heat that there are no humidity issues while it's running.

Been in the teens at night for approaching a month now, so far so good