Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-08-2018, 02:28 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
If I were full timing or traveling extensively in North America, I would be tempted to supplement my Version account with an AT&T plan. We've encountered situations where AT&T works where Verizon does not and vice versa.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:33 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Grass Lake , Michigan
The old saying, "you get what you pay for" applies. We used Verizon while full timing for a year and ran a consulting business while traveling around the country. Kind-of pricey but worth it. No issues with coverage but read the fine print. We had a 20GB data plan for the two of us (and our business) that worked fine. When Verizon came out with the unlimited plan, I thought that would be good & signed up. Here's the catch: After the first 10GB each month, they slow your connection WAY down. We couldn't do conference calls or net meetings or anything that required realtime data x-fer. I reverted back to the legacy plan -- with much difficulty getting them to agree to it.
Previously, we had AT&T but left them when I couldn't get signal in downtown Cambridge, MA. Have never had coverage issues with Verizon, except in Montross, VA of all places.
oldenavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:59 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
Just switched our T-Mobile to their new military plan. Definitely worth a look for vets.

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:51 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
As I mentioned earlier, the wife and I have AT&T. However, they are so screwed up that we have been looking for alternatives. Got a T-mobile monthly contract for an IPad and traveled out west to compare it to AT&T. No comparison....T-Mobile did not have a signal much of the time when we were reasonably remote.
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:02 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
I have Tmobile and many times, I'm the only one at a campground with no service. I like Tmobile, but I am travelling and camping more and need better service. I was considering ATT. We used to have Verizon, but their customer service was terrible and always billing errors.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:24 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
I have Tmobile and many times, I'm the only one at a campground with no service. I like Tmobile, but I am travelling and camping more and need better service. I was considering ATT. We used to have Verizon, but their customer service was terrible and always billing errors.
Trust me....you want billing errors, plan errors, unreturned phone calls, etc. then AT&T is your company! Best in the business as screwing up things that don't even need to be touched!
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:31 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan and Liz View Post
Just switched our T-Mobile to their new military plan. Definitely worth a look for vets.
Per tmobile web site vets [military] $80.00 per mo. for 2 lines for a military vet does not sound like a good deal to me as I pay $36.?? pr mo. [if text extra chge] for 2 line unlimited talk, and we don't text never will. We have consumer cellular that uses ATT & tmobile for there serv. Never had prob. w/signal any where except at house, tower 1/2 mile from house some times weak some rooms.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:31 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I think Verizon is probably better than ATT. But whatever plan you get you really need to get a Weboost. Get one for the tow vehicle, and then figure out a way to move it to the AS. I did it without drilling any holes and I use a suction antenna on one of the windows. You can’t run the weboost on 12v power though. Went camping this past year in a remote area. Without the Weboost wouldn’t have been able to make a call. But with it had no problems. Well worth the money. Before I had the weboost in my pickup I would constantly have dropped calls when doing tower changes. With it: none. Also get a Roku for hooking up to the television. Then use your phone as a hot spot. Nice for watching Netflix, etc. Much cheaper then a dish service.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:36 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
Per tmobile web site vets [military] $80.00 per mo. for 2 lines for a military vet does not sound like a good deal to me as I pay $36.?? pr mo. [if text extra chge] for 2 line unlimited talk, and we don't text never will. We have consumer cellular that uses ATT & tmobile for there serv. Never had prob. w/signal any where except at house, tower 1/2 mile from house some times weak some rooms.
For our 4 lines with unlimited data and mobile internet and taxes and fees included —

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:19 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Northfield , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyC View Post
The wife and I have AT&T. It has decent service overall but I do agree that the customer service is the worst in the business. We also have to purchase an additional add-on for the month when we go to Canada.

T-Mobile has a senior plan for couples over 55. Two lines with unlimited talk, text and data and the same service in Canada and Mexico for $75 per month. That includes all fees and taxes. I am planning to switch to that plan soon.
Don't switch to T Mobile...... terrible connection problems. Couldn't even roam. Traveled from MN to the Grande Canyon and then to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.... aweful coverage... we are switching as soon as our phones are paid of and we've been with them for 20+ years
rwigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:28 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I don't recall seeing anything about US Cellular' anyone using it?
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:45 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Fort Collins , Colorado
Have Comcast in your area?

If you have Comcast account or it’s in your area, Comcast Xfinity Mobile uses Verizon cell towers, so it’s essentially the Verizon network at lower cost. $20 per line for unlimited everything. Covers calls in Canada and Mexico. I plan to switch from Verizon once my contract with Verizon end and my IPhone X is paid off.
Natomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:06 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Has anyone tried taking a pay as you go with Verizon or ATT just for emergency back up?
Old 11-09-2018, 08:40 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
McDonough , Georgia
I have the unlimited Verizon postpaid plan and husband has a prepaid ATT plan.

We travel a lot out west and find that often only one or the other works. However, be aware that the prepaid plans do not have the same coverage as the full service postpaid.

We did just get a Weboost - cell signal is so poor in many state parks and other camping areas - first outing in TN Airstream park, I had 3G and husband's ATT had zip. Turned on Weboost, ATT went to 4G LTE.

BTW, my OTR Weboost came with a 12V power connector since it's meant for a vehicle. I got an adapter so I could plug it into an outlet in trailer.
Kittycatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:09 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I second everything said about AT&T when it comes to poor customer service and pricing. This is one of those "big" companies that really don't care much about the little guy. I was so fed up that I cancelled and went to Consumer Cellular and have been happy but.....they use AT&T towers! So, my money is still going to AT&T...grrrr.

The big 2, AT&T and Verizon basically control all of the towers out there so beware of that if you are critical of the coverage you are currently getting. Coverage overall is pretty equal but there are spots where one is better than the other. Just because you are camping at location A and your phone is working while others around you are not, it doesn't mean that your provider is the best. I have been in quite a few places where mine worked while others did not, and vice versa.

People have mentioned unlimited talk and text features but make sure you know about data limits. When we changed to Consumer Cellular we purchased a data plan set at a certain level. We started at 5GB and could move up to 10GB for an additional $10. I asked what would happen if we went over while on the road and they said that they would automatically just switch us up to the next level and charge the extra money. We did go over once when we were with AT&T and they charged us something like $20 but just for a few, like 3 GB extra. Take it or leave it was their basic response. Consumer Cellular is highly recommended by AARP. It probably is not the absolute best out there but they do have very good customer support.

If you are planning on traveling into Canada make sure you ask before you go.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:40 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Galena , Illinois
After reading all these responses I can't believe anyone would consider any carrier other than Verizon or AT&T when traveling. All the smaller carriers were set up to break up the communication monopoly. That's why they work well in cities and are cheaper for those of you that want to stay home. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out The satellites belong to AT&T or Verizon and theyr'e not giving them away. If you head out without one of these two companies as your carrier you will have problems. I don't wish the stress we were put under traveling on anyone, but we let T-moble talk us into their great deal/service/low cost and actually believed them. My fault, shame on me. Won't happen again.Verizon or AT&T are your only options while traveling if you want service. When we went to Verizon they tried to tell us we had to buy "their phone" to get service, but when I said that was made illegal in Illinois, then the story changed and the sim card conversation began. They're all so very slimy good luck to you, safe travels.
75Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 05:36 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Very slimy, indeed!
Old 11-11-2018, 07:46 AM   #38
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Like it or not, at all levels of these companies, the people work on commission. That may seem weird for a customer service rep, but that's the way they do it. It's not just commission in the sense that your salary goes up and down. Don't "up sell" enough features per hour and you no longer have a job. Toss in the layer of "authorized resellers" and you get even more pressure to lay on the un-needed features. There are very few people in the chain who do not get judged this way, talking to a supervisor does not get you out of this tangle ( = they are judged the same way).

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:21 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
High Point , North Carolina
If signal connectivity is important, Verizon is the best choice. Yes, they can be pricey but we've all over the states, Canada and various parts of the world and almost always had connection when others did not..and service has been great. Our home is the one place we have a shakey signal due to geography but when we complained, they gave us a month credit AND shipped us a $200 signal booster to use that fixed it.
Rfriebele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:06 AM   #40
Wolfwhistle

Margaritaville , Banana Republic
X2 on this resource.
https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/overview/
Also x2 on getting a booster. Weboost with small rooftop antenna and candy bar touching phone or hotspot inside works best for me.
WW
Fair_Enough is offline   Reply With Quote