Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-01-2019, 05:05 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Junk Gypsy -> if you have a TV, why not drive down, close your purchase, tow it back to Canada yourself and import it when you cross into Canada. That's what I did. There is one gotcha you need to be aware of -- you must send the original documentation (title and purchase) to the US point of export which they require to have in their possession at least 3 business days before you leave the USA. You will have to stop at US export control where they will physically check the VIN number to the title and sale documents and stamp them. The Canadian side requires you to fill out the Form 1, and there may be a fee if there is any inspections to be done (newer trailers and all trucks/autos). It's not rocket science, just follow the instructions they give you.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 05:26 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post
Junk Gypsy -> if you have a TV, why not drive down, close your purchase, tow it back to Canada yourself and import it when you cross into Canada. That's what I did. There is one gotcha you need to be aware of -- you must send the original documentation (title and purchase) to the US point of export which they require to have in their possession at least 3 business days before you leave the USA. You will have to stop at US export control where they will physically check the VIN number to the title and sale documents and stamp them. The Canadian side requires you to fill out the Form 1, and there may be a fee if there is any inspections to be done (newer trailers and all trucks/autos). It's not rocket science, just follow the instructions they give you.
Are you sure you have to send the paperwork to the US point of export for a trailer. Maybe it's changed, but I remember doing that for our car, truck and van but not the trailers.
This site refers to "Any used self-propelled vehicle that is to be exported to any foreign country regardless of the value of the used vehicle." That doesn't sound like it includes trailers.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:28 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junk Gypsy View Post
Hi, thanks for the input & yes you are right, no import fees if the trailer is older than 15 years. I got that info from Gov.Canada. I see you are in Ontario which means if I find a trailer there, I am facing the same issues as if I was buying in Florida, shipping costs. I went on Uship & applied for some quotes & they range from $12,500-$15,500 with the exception of one that came in at $5879. I think it’s a little amazing that there is that much of a spread between quotes. I find the closer I get to home though the more expensive the trailer becomes. So I think this process is going to take a while I’m not going to jump the gun, I’ll be on the lookout for something closer but reasonable. ��
Not for a trailer. You are reading the wrong section. There are no import fees. My trailer was 5 years old and there were no import fees. You also do not need to inform the government ahead of time. Just drive up and tell them you are bringing it into Canada. Then pay your GST. Get all your paperwork and use that to fill in the RIV form online. Then wait for your letter and take it in to be inspected. Cdn tire sends that paperwork into the government and then you wait some more for another letter. Once you have that you can take it in and get it licensed and pay your PST. It really is that easy. Don't make it difficult.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 02:04 PM   #24
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Absolutely on driving down and towing it back yourself. An RV dealer and possibly if it's a private sale, the owner, would sell the towing hitch. (More $$ but get a really safe one.)

If you don't have a suitable tow vehicle, you might have an RVing friend or relative willing to drive their truck with you to your pick-up destination.

Oftentimes for people wanting a bigger trailer, the big expense isn't the used Airstream, but the purchase of a big enough tow vehicle that can handle that weight.

Then a bargain-priced older AS may need a lot of restoration to make it livable and road-worthy. Some people love doing this as a hobby, but it also requires a budget and some technical skills.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote