Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2019, 05:50 AM   #1
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
Camco Catalytic heater - what size?

For those using the Camco Catalytic Heater to supplement your winter heat, what model did you purchase for your trailer? I'm in an FC 26, not sure I need the 6000 BTU model if the 3000 BTU Wave 3 does the job.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 06:05 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron2010 View Post
For those using the Camco Catalytic Heater to supplement your winter heat, what model did you purchase for your trailer? I'm in an FC 26, not sure I need the 6000 BTU model if the 3000 BTU Wave 3 does the job.
Since the Wave 3 is only rated for up to 100 square feet, and your trailer is twice that, you probably should go to the next size up.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:06 AM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Be aware that those heaters dump a lot of moisture into the space they heat. If you have the trailer well sealed up and it's really cold out, the condensation will be a chore to deal with.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 12:29 PM   #4
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
As you are limited in the places on which you can mount the heater, the sqft measure might not matter. In my case, I mounted our wave 6 on the sink cabinet by the door, facing toward the front of the trailer.

There is not that much space to heat in that configuration, especially as those heaters are radiant heaters and as such don't do much good in the area away from the direction in which it is aimed.

My first one was a wave 8, which was too big. The wave six is fine in that configuration, but I think a 3 would be fine, too, as it just points to our sitting space in the front.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 01:58 PM   #5
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
If you're planning on using it alot, I would, if I were you, look into a VENTED catylitic heater called the Platinum Cat. They are built to order, very frugal on propane use, and the fan uses almost no electricity; but it vents all the moisture and CO outside your trailer. The Wave heaters give off CO and lots of moisture.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 02:41 PM   #6
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
If you're planning on using it alot, I would, if I were you, look into a VENTED catylitic heater called the Platinum Cat. They are built to order, very frugal on propane use, and the fan uses almost no electricity; but it vents all the moisture and CO outside your trailer. The Wave heaters give off CO and lots of moisture.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony
I think you mean CO2 (carbon dioxide). If it was CO they would be fatal.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Tony is correct. It gives off CO. You must have adequate ventilation to get rid of it so at least half the heat is lost to venting fumes and moisture. That's why I installed a Catalytic vented heater.

Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 04:39 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
California , MD
Author decided to delete.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:57 PM   #9
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
Tony is correct. It gives off CO. You must have adequate ventilation to get rid of it so at least half the heat is lost to venting fumes and moisture. That's why I installed a Catalytic vented heater.

Al
According to manufacturer’s description it doesn’t produce hazardous amounts of CO. Ventilation is be Oro get rid of water vapour.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:58 AM   #10
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
I think you mean CO2 (carbon dioxide). If it was CO they would be fatal.
Carbon Monoxide, or CO, is a by product of burning fossil fuels, and in unventelated conditions can be fatal.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:16 AM   #11
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Catalytic Heaters Don't Produce Carbon Monoxide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Carbon Monoxide, or CO, is a by product of burning fossil fuels, and in unventelated conditions can be fatal.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony
Hi Tony you are right about combustion but wrong about catalytic heaters.

Incomplete combustion is the case with an ICE or open flame like your propane stove or oven and like a propane BBQ and will produce CO. Never heat your trailer with the propane stove or oven and always use the exhaust fan when using them.

A properly functioning catalytic heater does not use combustion (flames) to produce heat and produces CO2 and water vapour as byproducts. I suggest you read the linked web page.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:22 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
Hi Tony you are right about combustion but wrong about catalytic heaters.

Incomplete combustion is the case with an ICE or open flame like your propane stove or oven and like a propane BBQ and will produce CO. Never heat your trailer with the propane stove or oven and always use the exhaust fan when using them.

A properly functioning catalytic heater does not use combustion (flames) to produce heat and produces CO2 and water vapour as byproducts. I suggest you read the linked web page.

A careful reading of the linked web page, under ‘Safety’ still clearly warns that Carbon Monoxide is a potential issue with catalytic heaters. The new ones ALL come with an oxygen sensor to shut them off if ambient oxygen is depleted below a certain point. That is the point below which the catalyst will start producing Carbon Monoxide instead of just Carbon Dioxide and water. Carbon Dioxide is also an issue. Catalytic heaters in an enclosed space need sufficient fresh air to function properly and not cause a hazard.

Personally, I’ll deal with the power needs of a fully isolated heat exchanger type propane heater. We had a cracked heat exchanger on a home furnace that was leaking enough Carbon Monoxide to cause symptoms, but never got bad enough to trip our Carbon Monoxide detector. It’s insidious stuff. An inspection found the issue, and a new system was the result. Inspect your heating equipment EVERY heating season for your own safety.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:20 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
FYI, a typical electric space heater is 5000 BTU's so 3000 BTU's is like a space heater on medium or low. 6000 BTU should keep the average trailer warm above 40 degrees or so.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:42 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I have no skin in this game but I do have some experience to share. I cannot believe they still make PlatinumCat! I installed one of those in a room addition(home) 40 years ago! It was great heater and vented is the way to go, the moisture and the CO2 need to go outside. But, as was said, it is radiant so it will heat what it can see and you want to occupy that space.
When sailing I used to take a non-vented catalytic portable that ran on small bottles for cold-weather anchoring. Even a small one put an amazing amount of moisture into the cabin. The CO2 was never a problem because the companionway allowed plenty of air in, but I would worry about a sealed up trailer.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:36 AM   #15
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

CO will kill you without you noticing what's going on. A high level of CO2 is something you body usually will notice. The main issue is whether you will associate your symptoms with the CO2 level.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote