Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2016, 04:25 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Great ghost stories, Jeff.

That's a place I could almost see myself Camp Hosting...tho it's very much a fur piece from here.

We came across an old tavern/roadhouse/stagecoach stop somewhere in Tennessee, I think, and the young woman working there was so fascinating with the stories she told and the passion with which she told them.

That would be me.

Glad you got to experience Bodie, and I will enjoy it vicariously thru you.

Y'all are havin' the time of your lives, and I always look forward to your posts.

See ya next time.

Maggie

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 05:11 PM   #22
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Very glad to see your report. Attended a presentation on fly fishing in this area by Greg Vinci on Tuesday night and it sounded like a really great area to spend some time. Thanks for the video, it really reinforced how nice this area is. Pat
PKI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 06:58 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cohasset , Massachusetts
Thank you.......great pictures.
Nice to hear from you again.
Have a GREAT THANKSGIVING
Tan Son Nhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 12:18 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Bay Area , West Coast
Whoa Neli Deli....The Best Gas Station Food I've ever had, been there about 10 times...and of course you're on 395 @ 120, one my favorite roads
Old 11-19-2016, 12:29 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Bay Area , West Coast
Awesome Video! We're just getting started in the video world too using iMovie, born in "56", so it's an uphill climb! Southern Utah and 395 Area, both are great places that I've spent a considerable amount of time in. We're headed to Glacier in 17, maybe we'll see you there.

Thanks again for the great video!
Old 11-19-2016, 07:31 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
formerly of Tustin, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach , California
USAtraveler - We are hoping to get a camphosting gig at Apgar Campground in Glacier NP. We had one earlier this year but decided to stay in Escalante, Utah for the spring and summer. So we'll apply again early next year.

Chris - We have sorta similar sized Airstreams so filling up with water before reaching our destination is about the same. We haven't done anything special but in addition...

1. We own one five-gallon, two six-gallon, one seven-gallon, one three-gallon, and a two-gallon water jug. When you’re dry camping the first thing after finding a good spot is to find a nearby water source. We have been able to obtain drinking water from gas stations, ranger stations, visitor centers, a grocery store, and a motel.
2. We own a five-gallon and two-gallon gasoline container. When we were dry camping, those seven gallons were plenty for morning and evening generator (Honda eu2000i) use for about 10-12 days.
3. We don't have solar yet but we have a couple solar lamps and a lot of candles.
4. I carry a small plastic hiking trowel. When we boondock, we usually find a spot where nobody else is in sight. During the day time I dig cat holes for myself and leave the black tank for my wife; that leaves us two weeks before having to dump.
5. Of course we take navy showers about once or twice a week depending on whether we fall into a river (which we've done). We use a collapsible plastic tub in the kitchen sink for gray water that gets dumped outside. Wipe plates clean with a paper towel first.
6. The generator runs our TV but we like to charge the laptop and watch movies on that at night.
7. Swapped out our lights to LED a year ago.
8. We have hitch locks for whatever they're worth - not much. We have agreed value trailer insurance. We try to use our internal radar.
8. We look for BLM and National Forest roads. We try to find local BLM offices or ranger stations for maps and intel on good dirt roads for towing trailers and whether or not we can turn around. If not known, we unhitch somewhere for a night or two and then go scout with the truck.

The farthest out from a town we've boondocked was about 25 miles or so on the Wild Horse River in the Sawtooth National Recreation Area and that was only for a week; usually we try to only go out what we can hike back. We've never boondocked hardcore like some others that go for weeks without going for supplies. Invariably during our outings for fishing or hiking we go by a gas station or grocery store, so I stock up whenever I get the chance. So when I say we boondocked for almost two months, we still were sorta close to supplies. We just like having open space around us - of course, different strokes for different folks; we're all still outside. But it's hard to beat free rent.

Paul & Nancy - Whoa Neli Deli is a very dangerous place. I used great willpower to drive past it the many times we went by. I could gain serious pounds in no time, so yeah...the food IS the best gas station food I've ever had. We seem to be on similar paths and could very well cross them. I'd like to stay in touch and see if we can't coordinate a meet up. We have in the past year or so managed to meet a few fellow airforum members and it's always been great to share our collective Airstream lineage. Maybe we could share iMovie discoveries!
westcoastas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 04:00 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Westcoastas,

Thanks for all the info in regards to some of the steps you take while boondocking! Fabulous sharing. Hope to see you out there some day!

Chris
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 04:23 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Laguna Beach , CA
WestCostas,

Very nice video! What a great trip!! Thank you for sharing your beautiful pics.

We just returned from a boondocking trip in the Eastern Sierra as well. Somewhere between Mammoth Lakes and June Lake. Wonderful place, we had it all to ourselves for miles. There are so many beautiful boondocking spots along multiple forest service dirt roads. Way to numerous to list. This is a favorite location of our and we will be back for sure. Bodie ghost town is a wonderful spot to see, as well as the numerous hot springs to visit and go for a boil in.

We love the Eastern Sierra!!
Calisurfer is offline   Reply With Quote