RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-05-2021, 09:56 AM   #141
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Agree with your last post panamerican, that's precisely the way supply, demand and competition works in a free market.

People considering buying a travel trailer can pay about $100 to get objective reliability and customer satisfaction comparisons through a couple organizations advertising on the web if they want. I did it before I made my purchase. Gene may be surprised at what he finds if he were to look.

You will not get objective comparisons from this site or even an accurate idea of the collective feelings of Airstream owners because not all impressions are shared here in proportion and the pool of contributors is not representative of all Airstream owners. You cannot adjust by comparing to other similar sites because you cannot find sites like this for enough other brands to build a statistically valid model (another indication that Airstreams are an icon).
Old 01-05-2021, 10:35 AM   #142
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Brian,

I agree, but I think we are at the point an old Chief of mine described as "picking the fly shxx out of the pepper". Browsing this site will inform even a casual observer that if you buy an Airstream you will have some maintenance/repair issues at some point. I suspect that any RV forum would tell a prospective owner the same thing. I participated in a sailboat forum(Pacific Seacraft) from its inception until I drifted away and that sort of feeling was never there. We did a lot more of what you do here: help people through problems that do pop up. Thing was, the Pacific Seacraft problems were not as a result of fabrication or equipment shortcomings...just wear and tear of sailing the ocean blue. I am just going to try, this year, to accept that these trailers break and blaming the factory accomplishes nothing. Not ready to sell yet.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 04:16 AM   #143
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Denton , Texas
Bad Experience

We are full timers and have had a few issues but minor compared to some fellow campers in much more expensive units. This happens with every type of trailer out there. Itís like any other manufactured product. All in all I still think when the time comes and we sell it will be easier to sell our Airstream than the other units on the road today. Happy New Year
csrichey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 06:52 AM   #144
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
Agree with your last post panamerican, that's precisely the way supply, demand and competition works in a free market.

People considering buying a travel trailer can pay about $100 to get objective reliability and customer satisfaction comparisons through a couple organizations advertising on the web if they want. I did it before I made my purchase. Gene may be surprised at what he finds if he were to look.

You will not get objective comparisons from this site or even an accurate idea of the collective feelings of Airstream owners because not all impressions are shared here in proportion and the pool of contributors is not representative of all Airstream owners. You cannot adjust by comparing to other similar sites because you cannot find sites like this for enough other brands to build a statistically valid model (another indication that Airstreams are an icon).
I agree. I donít see how any conclusions on quality can be drawn from this forum. Thereís tons of good info here, and Iíve learned a lot. Iíve read a lot of the quality threads over the years, and I guess Iíve been tainted by a few regular posters. Iím not sure if I just got lucky and have had three good airstreams, or I just have very low expectations.
Just an FYI, some of the FB airstream groups are a lot more positive. There are quality issue posts and TV posts there also, but a lot more we are out there enjoying our AS posts.
Old 01-09-2021, 04:14 PM   #145
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
KK4YZ, when you measured wildly different voltages to the blower, was that from the blower lead to chassis or furnace frame or from blower + to blower - ? I ask because you may have continuity issues in the furnace frame to trailer frame or in in the negative etc.
It turns out you are correct. After a few measurements I traced the problem down to a bad furnace chassis to ground (trailer chassis) connection.

A short jumper solved the problem. Due to the intermittent nature of the problem it was hard to diagnose. It just goes to show you the smallest thing can cause a real headache sometimes.

I have no issue with Airstream Service, either in NJ or ATL. They did the best they could given the circumstances.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 04:43 PM   #146
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Nice, I hope that solves the issue and the furnace works reliably now.
Old 01-09-2021, 06:35 PM   #147
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amkost92 View Post
BayouBiker,
You’ve nailed it. I get varied voltages on many different connections,including the power in and power out of the off/reset switch location. I’m certain there is an electrical issue. I’m no electrician, but I can wiggle wires and nothing seems to be loose, which is the only issue I was getting feedback on from the techs who’ve looked at it. I didn’t know there was a relay switch up on top of the camper somewhere. Maybe that’s sticking? I’m taking it back up to the dealer tomorrow, so hopefully there will be a conclusion to all of this.
Wondering if you the OP have gotten your problem solved? The recent post by KK4YZ confirms a hard-to-diagnose electrical problem solved FWIW. Nice work, Brian.

Happy New Year,

Peter
OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 12:49 PM   #148
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Glad to hear a furnace problem was solved. Often the simplest thing is the right thing, but you have to know what the simple things are and where to look.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 05:02 PM   #149
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Glad to hear a furnace problem was solved. Often the simplest thing is the right thing, but you have to know what the simple things are and where to look.
It took a couple of measurements to nail it down. At first I thought there was a bad connection on the +12VDC side. So I hotwired the supply from the battery. Problem was still there. That left only the other (- or chassis) side....and I remembered Brianís comment.

Iím confident the problem is now solved because I could make the problem disappear then reappear by momentarily touching a jumper to the chassis.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote