RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-03-2021, 09:07 AM   #121
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
I love how a free market economy works. Companies decline, survive or thrive on how the consumer votes with their dollars.

AS as a company has existed for 90 years and have sold all the product they can make and have a strong backlog. They just invested $40mm in a new factory where they employ 1000+ people. They have dealers all over the country who have invested millions of dollars and also employ hundreds of people. The consumer, who is willing to pay premium dollars for what they perceive to be a premium product, makes this happen.

When something better comes along and AS does not provide a product the buyer wants, the buyer and the money will go elsewhere.

Most AS owners think their money is well spent. Some don't and that is ok. That's how it works!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 10:43 AM   #122
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
I love how a free market economy works. Companies decline, survive or thrive on how the consumer votes with their dollars.

AS as a company has existed for 90 years and have sold all the product they can make and have a strong backlog. They just invested $40mm in a new factory where they employ 1000+ people. They have dealers all over the country who have invested millions of dollars and also employ hundreds of people. The consumer, who is willing to pay premium dollars for what they perceive to be a premium product, makes this happen.

When something better comes along and AS does not provide a product the buyer wants, the buyer and the money will go elsewhere.

Most AS owners think their money is well spent. Some don't and that is ok. That's how it works!

Amen.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 03:39 PM   #123
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Hans627 has an excellent assessment.

When the demand for AS adjusts downward, perhaps then AS will make changes in their QC scheme. We need to temper our expectations for any TT that is towed down the road - or should I say towing a paint mixer. Imagine the stresses imposed on anything - either structural or payload - inside of the AS. For those that have tried other brands, why did you choose AS ... was it because you found it to be an icon, or, did you compare and feel that it was the best value for the dollar? What is the source of disappointment - reasonable expectations dashed on the rocks... or just real lemonade?
Could there be a generational difference in expectations?

Many of the folks on this forum have owned several different (SOB, too) AS and have had some that were relatively bug-free ... others have really bought lemons - both first and second hand. That is the case for us... some good and some bad - but we still really like what our AS has to offer! We all - regardless of age / experience -have the option to express what went wrong for us in our AS. Opinions are free for the asking, but sometimes we need to consider the cost (LOL)and value of what is expressed.

As far as the mood of posters on this forum ... yes, it has changed dramatically over the 11 years that we have been reading and contributing. It seems that folks are now far less likely to share their helpful experiences and more likely to climb up on their soapbox and pompously try to impress us with their vocabulary / limited AS experience ... as shown by their number of posts in relatively short times since joining. I always consider the advice - tempered by the number of years on the forum. Perhaps, with this covid surrounding us all, folks just have more time to spend on their keyboards.
Just another opinion, only.
YMMV
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 07:04 PM   #124
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Every time Airstream cranks up production, there are more complaints here about quality. Before the Great Recession, Airstreams were selling like, well, Airstreams. QC was a big issue on the Forum then and for several years. For a while things settled down, but it appears as RV sales have increased in the past several years, more complaints again. Are the managers pushing production resulting in workers getting sloppy under pressure? It would seem so. If Airstream improved QC after the 2008 crash, it may not be the reason things got better—it may be the QC is a minor interest at the company and when sales go up, so does speed at the factory. The increased number of complaints recently seems to indicate that QC is not a priority.

It was my wife's suggestion we buy an Airstream. I checked it out on the Forum. The frequent complaints about QC—about the same as lately—I ignored. In many ways we enjoyed our purchase and traveled far and wide. Because the dealer was so bad (damaging the trailer rear and side in their shop while "fixing" problems), we got warranty work done in Jackson Center. We incorporated trips there with other expeditions. One of the most impressive days with our trailer was driving through a snowstorm with 40 mph crosswinds in eastern Colorado. The 18 wheelers were stuck. We just sailed through and the crosswind had no effect on the trailer or truck. That was our first trip to JC and every day more things broke. But there is absolutely no question they tow well. We didn't sell it because of all the problems—eventually they were fixed and though more would certainly come along, mostly they were a lot less than the first several years. If we were going to do it again, wed look at fairly new ones that had been fixed and then take advantage of the depreciation, or look at Olivers. But we wouldn't buy one with the transverse bed that gets difficult to get in and out of as one ages. But we don't travel far anymore, so a different, roomier, cheaper, better made trailer was appropriate. I would not travel with it through a storm like that one across the plains. We use more fuel and can't drive quite as fast, but we don't go as far.

The Forum has been a mix of things. Still lots of advice here, some bad and some good. After a while it is easy to see who thinks and who doesn't (of course, we may disagree on who is thinking). I've learned a lot here and tried to pass on knowledge to others. We all have given bad and good advice as understanding (hopefully) increases. Some really obnoxious people have been chased away, more by the members than anyone else. It is unfortunate that a lot of people who were once a big part of this Forum just disappear because no one follows up and finds out whether they are ok, lost interest, or died.

We averaged more than 6,000 miles a year—much more some years—and enjoyed the coolness of the Airstream plus the ease of traveling long distances. We were sad to see it go down the road never to see it again. It went to Alabama and someone was going to fulltime in it. I never heard from the buyers so I hope they were happy with it. It was a big part of our lives for a decade. I miss the good things, don't miss the problems.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:49 AM   #125
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Every time Airstream cranks up production, there are more complaints here about quality. Before the Great Recession, Airstreams were selling like, well, Airstreams. QC was a big issue on the Forum then and for several years. For a while things settled down, but it appears as RV sales have increased in the past several years, more complaints again. Are the managers pushing production resulting in workers getting sloppy under pressure? It would seem so. If Airstream improved QC after the 2008 crash, it may not be the reason things got better—it may be the QC is a minor interest at the company and when sales go up, so does speed at the factory. The increased number of complaints recently seems to indicate that QC is not a priority.
I’m not a lawyer, but I’ve seen someone playing a lawyer on tv. I think they would jump up and say, “assuming facts not in evidence!” Makes me not want to read the rest, when this is the opening paragraph.
Old 01-04-2021, 10:12 AM   #126
1 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Moon Township , Pennsylvania
I chased an intermittent furnace and airconditioning issue for a few years. Had it checked by Airstream dealer and other RV service centers with no solution. Ended up with spare CCC2 thermostats and Dometic control boards that did not solve issues. Started having issues with my refrigerator on shore power during a trip and found a Dometic service manual online that mentioned checking for AC Ripple. With my multimeter I determined I had AC voltage on the 12V DC side of the electrical system and traced problems back to a faulty electric converter. Installed a new converter and after a year of use have not experienced any intermittent issues with 12V systems controlled by circuit boards.
AK119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 10:21 AM   #127
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
panamerican, I don't see much difference between what I said and what you did. Yes, many people experience quality issues with Airstreams. Many do not and if most did, Airstream, for cost of sales reason alone, would be improving quality because it costs them many times more to fix something after the fact. Neither of us know if Airstreams have fewer or more quality issues than the industry as a whole. End of story.

From your earlier post, I do not feel we are on the same page here:

Quote:
You have to realize that it is the minor number of folks who have issues that post about them.
People buy Airstreams because they buy the sales info and that these are wicked cool looking trailers. Heck I get stopped at least 2x/mo. When we had an SOB, no one ever stopped by to have a look or chat.

The problem is that the reality does not match the marketing. Sure there are nearly flawless units coming off the line and if you happen to get one, great, but I am unsure I could quantify anything as major or minor, I offer my exp and opinion as is, without quantifying for the reader. I expect the reader to do their due diligence by reading on this forum as many of the posts as they can tolerate with a filtered eye and make the final decision. Keep in mind I'm not gonna throw Airstream under the bus for 3rd party appliances, but when the factory mis-installs them, I'm sure they deserve to have their feet held to the fire.....that range exhaust hood is prime example, where the unit would cut off because it was installed too close.

As an Airstream owner of of nearly 20 years (two units in fact) I can tell you first hand, that I would prob NOT own a different trailer, however, I am concerned that the QC has not been there and from threads like this continue to demonstrate to me that there are still problems...insurmountable, not at all, but my perception is that Airstream is not a company, but a profit center. I'm always puzzled how the factory service center can get things so right, but the line workers have appeared to be hit or miss.

We all know that the bargain basement RVs have tons more problems than many Airstream trailers and MoHos, and it's hardly end of story, if it were we'd not still be reading threads like this. If forced to quantify, this thread alone seems 50/50 to me which would not indicate any minority or majority.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 10:25 AM   #128
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Sorry...but QC still sux after all these years.
The production side as a whole, just doesn't GAS, individuals may, but a handful of prideful workers does not make a quality product it takes a team with a mission statement that sets a standard, and management that demands a product that meets & exceeds price point.

Production can't match demand, without leadership they have no incentive to improve QC.

Bob
🇺🇸
Airstream….The "Kohoutek" of travel trailers… unfulfilled expectations.
RLC

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:09 AM   #129
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
For what both of you wrote, I don't disagree. But the situation is much more nuanced.

Bob points out that if you sell all you produce, in the short term, quality and brand reputation is not that important, but quality problems dramatically raises cost of sales so even here there is significant incentive to spend more on the production line to reduce warrantee claims. If the increased cost of production exceeds the cost of repair, and you sell all you can make, then you are at a good place unless you want to grow capacity. Perhaps this is where Airstream is at. Perhaps Airstream management has made the decision that they are where they want to be in this trade-off.

Where we differ is in the idea that Airstream does not care about this or that they are failing in this tradeoff. An objective investigation of customer satisfaction and product reliability will show that Airstream is well above average in both, and the conclusion is that Airstream makes a good quality product. Not among the best but certainly enough that most customers are satisfied.

I get that many here think they can run Airstream better than the current bunch, I also get that many think for the price, one should get impeccable quality. That is not what sells an Airstream as panamerican and many others have so clearly stated. It is the fact that Airstream is an American Icon that sells the product. Clearly, for most buyers, quality is lower on the list and Airstream is simply responding to the collective priorities of its current and future customers. If customer demands change, or if Airstream wants to expand to more discerning customers like Gene, or perhaps people like Scott, Larry, panamerican, Bob, who haven't already purchased one, etc. they may have to improve quality control.
Old 01-04-2021, 11:56 AM   #130
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:

Where we differ is in the idea that Airstream does not care about this or that they are failing in this tradeoff. An objective investigation of customer satisfaction and product reliability will show that Airstream is well above average in both, and the conclusion is that Airstream makes a good quality product. Not among the best but certainly enough that most customers are satisfied.

I get that many here think they can run Airstream better than the current bunch, I also get that many think for the price, one should get impeccable quality. That is not what sells an Airstream as panamerican and many others have so clearly stated. It is the fact that Airstream is an American Icon that sells the product.
And where is that “objective investigation”? Unfortunately info on RV reliability is lacking unlike that for cars and trucks. There was a site some years ago that attempted to do what CR does, but I think it disappeared. Owners of Airstreams reported that reliability was not good, but style and handling was great. A lot of us agree.

Relative newbies who have not been reading Forum posts for 10 or more years don’t know about past problems. You would not know about the long gone Town Hall thread started by Airstream’s president more than 10 years ago. Threads dating back to the start of this Forum were full of complaints and people who owned Airstreams in the 1990’s confirmed that many problems had long existed. Some were simple and cheap fixes that were ignored. Did you ever hear of front end or rear end sag? Cheapening the basic structure of the trailer resulted in major warranty issues back in the “oughts”. And back then the same excuses were made for the company by some members.

Yes, it is an Icon. There is (or was—I haven’t been there since 2008) an Airstream on display at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC to show the style triumph. Thor has not been a proper steward of what they have. There are no perfect vehicles, but that is hardly an excuse for a significantly flawed product sold dishonestly as a “premium” product. Toyota manages to produce extremely reliable vehicles at competitive prices. It is simply illogical to claim any improvements would cost too much. The money that should go into improvements instead goes to shareholders and top execs. In the 1950’s GM made the best production vehicles and rested on that reputation for decades while the product they put out was increasingly inferior and uncompetitive. Corporate America focuses on short term goals and profits and without looking ahead, eventually companies fail.

Old 01-04-2021, 11:58 AM   #131
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
OK, it is the New Year and I am going to try to work on problems and solutions, not opinions. The glass may be half empty, but I am going to treat it as half full. I just want to get out and camp with our Airstream friends...first rally scheduled for March at James island. I'll get to try out my new Easy Touch thermostat made by Microair, not Dometic. I plan to do nothing else to my trailer this winter except check on it from time to time.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 12:33 PM   #132
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
SnipQUOTE<><><><"If the increased cost of production exceeds the cost of repair, and you sell all you can make, then you are at a good place unless you want to grow capacity. Perhaps this is where Airstream is at. Perhaps Airstream management has made the decision that they are where they want to be in this trade-off."

Ask there dealers...I wonder how they feel about having to 're-build' AS's?

Bob
🇺🇸
More Pic's for BB
BTW...I do believe they have all the capacity they need, motivation is what's lacking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FC1D9D3A-D2D8-41DB-BE90-891E55174056_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	435.2 KB
ID:	386241   Click image for larger version

Name:	234ABAD6-7D63-495B-AD62-A4962518B395_1_201_a.jpg
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	386242  

Click image for larger version

Name:	54D93F9F-2E5A-48BF-B794-48301FE0347C_1_201_a.jpg
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	386243  

Tahawus
🌤
Old 01-04-2021, 01:02 PM   #133
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
SnipQUOTE<><><><"If the increased cost of production exceeds the cost of repair, and you sell all you can make, then you are at a good place unless you want to grow capacity.

Look, we all think we are getting a really great deal when we score 20% off list, but having been in sales, you create that perception with a ridiculous MSRP, then get 20% off the MSRP and the customer is thinking they are getting a great deal, but in reality you are just getting a percentage depending on how good you are at with horse trading.

In the end I think (read not 100% certain) that the profit margins on Airstream's product line has to be much higher than the industry. Reason I mention this is that increase costs of production (warranty repairs, etc) are inconsequential when you have an almost annual 3% (or more) price increase and are getting the price you really want, allowing the consumer to think they are getting great deal @20% off an inflated list. Just a big shell game in which there is a lack of motivation to stand head and shoulders above the SOBs and the revenue to continue the status quo....house always wins.

And what of that advisory council? Was that just to placate or did something good come from that (not trying to be cute here, really would like to know what came out of that group)?
Old 01-04-2021, 01:37 PM   #134
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by panamerican View Post
And what of that advisory council? Was that just to placate or did something good come from that (not trying to be cute here, really would like to know what came out of that group)?

What about the "Town Hall thread", where the Kitchen got too hot and the cook left.
Still there but....closed.👎

Bob
🇺🇸

Tahawus
🌤
Old 01-04-2021, 01:41 PM   #135
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Bad experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamerican View Post
Look, we all think we are getting a really great deal when we score 20% off list, but having been in sales, you create that perception with a ridiculous MSRP, then get 20% off the MSRP and the customer is thinking they are getting a great deal, but in reality you are just getting a percentage depending on how good you are at with horse trading.

In the end I think (read not 100% certain) that the profit margins on Airstream's product line has to be much higher than the industry. Reason I mention this is that increase costs of production (warranty repairs, etc) are inconsequential when you have an almost annual 3% (or more) price increase and are getting the price you really want, allowing the consumer to think they are getting great deal @20% off an inflated list. Just a big shell game in which there is a lack of motivation to stand head and shoulders above the SOBs and the revenue to continue the status quo....house always wins.

Not sure what your point is? So they make money... that is the goal. I bought a new 2019 cause I liked the looks of the trailer and it made me want to go travel in it. Not based on best quality etc. figured at the end of the day it would cost less than boating. Was it my least expensive option.. nope... most expensive option nope again. Am I satisfied with overall quality/fit finish the things Airstream controls - yes. Did I have a few issues that the dealer took care of.. yes again.. were any major .. nope.

I’m sure folks have had worse experiences than I have some maybe even better, my take is either fix the problem (and telling others the issue and resolution is great) and move on and enjoy or sell the problem and find an alternative. But telling everyone that something they are satisfied with sucks must just get old.

2019 Ford F-350 Platinum
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 01:42 PM   #136
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
What about the "Town Hall thread", where the Kitchen got too hot and the cook left.
Still there but....closed.��

Bob
����
See that "Closed Ahead" sign in the distance?

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 01:44 PM   #137
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Another case of the vapors.

Old 01-04-2021, 03:22 PM   #138
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
These threads are fun to read.It reminds me of the old line "I'd rather push my Harley then be seen on a Honda"
Both Airstream +Harley Davidson have a cult like following, of a American Vintage look product.
But both brands take advantage of the cult following, when quality is questioned.
It just is what it is....
B. Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 08:37 AM   #139
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Deleted post. I guess my Dad’s words to me, “quit complaining, or I’ll give you something to really complain about.” Have stayed with me.
Apologize if anyone was offended by my remarks (before I deleted them.)
Jeff
Old 01-05-2021, 08:56 AM   #140
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Jeff, I would invite you to use the search feature available here on the forum, if you do, I am pretty sure you will see that it's a bit more than 5 and can easily see the issues traversing several years. (this comment was made post edit of your post). I'm not eluding to the sky is falling, but I also am not collectively putting my head in the sand either. I went into Airstreaming not knowing this, and came back for seconds after knowing what I got into before....all told, I may even go back for a 3rd. Will it be new or preowned, I can only speculate, but I do very much appreciate having the info good or bad at my fingertips to be able to draw my own conclusions and decide if I want to buy or not. As is the case in life, it hardly works well in a vacuum.

JonDNC. My post was not to besmirch making a profit, my point is that they prob are making a pretty good profit doing what they are doing, making no reason to change the construction process. Brian is right in that the only thing that may force change is people voting with their wallets, which we all know will prob not happen given the passion for this product, so we use our feet or we accept the fact that there is a chance we spend $100k and have a few years of shake out.